Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Birthday Chocolate Cake

This will be my last birthday post for awhile, but I want to share what I consider to be the best birthday cake recipe.

As much as I would like to give the author credit, all I know is this recipe was published in the Des Moines Register in November 1971. The ingredient list is somewhat outdated. For instance, I do not know what fudge pieces are; I just substitute chocolate chips. And I never put oil or an egg in the frosting.

This year, I made cupcakes instead of a cake, and this recipe got me 24 regular cupcakes and six mini ones (but I filled the cupcake molds generously so you could probably get more if you stick to the 2/3 of the cupcake mold rule). I also had about 1/3 cup frosting left over, and I don't think I was skimpy when frosting the cupcakes. I think I must have measured the powdered sugar wrong because I had to double the chocolate and milk to get the frosting to my satisfaction.

So, without further ado, the chocolate cake recipe to beat all others:


Triple-Decker Cake:  A Chocolate Delight
From DM Register 11/14/71

3 to 4 t prepared cocoa mix (or cocoa)
½ c butter, softened
½ c  (f oz) cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ c sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 c enriched flour
2 t soda
1 t salt
2 c milk
4 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 pkg (6 oz) fudge chocolate pieces

Grease three 8-inch round cake pans.  Dust with cocoa mix; set aside.  Cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Blen in vanilla.  Stir together flour, soda, and salt.  Thoroughly blend flour mexture into creamed mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour.  Thoroughly blen melted chocolate into batter.  (takes 15 minutes)

Pour half the batter into prepared pans.  Sprinkle fudge pieces evenly over batter in pans.  Pour remaining batter over.  Bake in 350-degree oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.  (Tester may hit a fudge piece and come out sticky; if so, clean tester and try again.)  Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.  Cool thoroughly before frosting.

Creamy Chocolate Frosting

1 package (6 oz) fudge chocolate pieces
1 T oil
½ c (4 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c butter, softened
4 c sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1 egg
About 1 T milk

Melt chocolate pieces with oil  Beat together cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Gradually blend in sugar and vanilla.  Blend in chocolate.  Beat in egg.  Add milk, a t at a time, until mixture is of spreading consistency.

3 comments :

  1. I'll try them. Remember, it's baking powder, not soda, and teaspoons, not tablespoons. dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, jumping back in time from Jan. 24 TToT. This looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!