Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rhubarb

As far as seasonal foods go, spring might offer the best options. Rhubarb, ramps, morels, strawberries, etc... I guess it's not really reasonable to argue against summer and its bounty of fruits and vegetables, but the fact that spring offerings come and go so quickly as the weather warms makes them that much more exciting.

I don't think I could find ramps around here if I tried, and the little I know about morel hunting I'm not sure how to apply (abandoned apple orchards in suburban DC--I don't think so), but I can get rhubarb. Our little local farmers' market has had plenty o' rhubarb.

http://www.simplebites.net/rustic-rhubarb-custard-pies-with-a-walnut-crust-a-pie-party/

Mmmm...muffins


A couple of weekends ago, I made a rhubarb pie for a neighborhood party. Failed to photograph like the inexperienced blogger that I am. But, this weekend...this weekend, I made rhubarb streusel muffins and rhubarb compote (I had more rhubarb than I need for the muffins) and have the pictures to prove it.

The muffin recipe I took straight from smitten kitchen so there's no point in reprinting the it. I did double it, and I used half whole wheat and half all purpose flour as the author suggested. Oh, and I didn't have any sour cream so I substituted buttermilk. I thought I would need less since buttermilk is so much more liquid-y than sour cream, but nope--I wanted the full cup and a half. And they were a little drier than I would like. OK, but I'd make them with sour cream or yogurt next time.



Creepy reflection in the spoon




I tossed the remaining two cups of diced rhubarb in a pot on the stove with about a quarter cup of sugar and the juice of half a lemon. Then I cooked it at a simmer until it was good and soft. Then we spooned it over ice cream for our company Sunday night.

My sister-in-law enjoyed it!

3 comments :

  1. Your rhubarb creations sound amazing! I'm salivating! On an unrelated note, backpack carrying child while mowing. It kind of came about on accident. My husband was running errands with D one Saturday, and he stopped at his parents house to check on things because they were out of town. The grass needed to be mowed, and there wasn't any other safe place to stow D! He was so happy, outrageously happy, that after that my husband couldn't deny him despite any personal discomfort : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Rhubarb...now that's something I still have yet to try. You have inspired me :). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite bitter on its own so you add lots of sugar making the flavor sweet-tart. I love it! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!