Monday, June 3, 2013

Gallery Walls

I now know this term courtesy of Apartment Therapy, a site I learned about from the classy Mary of Atelier. The concept had been familiar before, mainly because I have lots of small pieces of art that needed to be grouped in order to fill wall space. The process of hanging a collage of pieces on a wall is very satisfying to me; it's like putting together a puzzle but with a more permanent result.

When it comes to wall decor, I fall into the "more is more" camp. A bit of visual overload makes me feel cozy. I admire people who can hang one piece on a wall and be done. I think it looks classy. But it's just not me.

So with that introduction, here are some photos of gallery walls at my house:

Heavily influenced by my years and in Asia and that time I thought hats would be great for decorating. A little Austin and W Road if you look carefully, though.

 And, my pride and joy, created today:


I created this in the stairwell to our second floor thanks to a rainy day, a long nap, and several recorded episodes of "Liv-uh" (Olivia). My mother always makes a collage of family photos, and my home never seems likes home until I have one up. I like to mix it up with tiles and other odds and ends for a little texture, but mainly it pleases me no end to walk past loving relatives, living and dead, throughout the day.

I also managed to put together this one in the office for The Dude. It makes him happy.

And that's not even all the BD concerts he's attended!





6 comments :

  1. This is so great! Your staircase is a thing of BEAUTY! Love that your house is becoming a home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much like your decorating style--feels cozy to me, too. These are all impressive. Can't wait to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of these, Sarah, especially the one by the staircase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mary. They're all very meaningful to me, the one on the staircase, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, and the staircase does remind me of your parents' dining room wall in P.A. But maybe more stylish. :). I also am expanding our gallery bathroom this summer, the one with all the postcards. And the postcard you gave me from Nepal is still one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!