Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kairos

I'm vacationing my little hiney off in Texas right now and having a grand time, as usual, but this is a post I wrote before we left Maryland.

Do you mothers out there feel like you're constantly told to "enjoy every moment" because your kids will be grown up and out of the house before you know it?

Well, let me tell you, I love what I do, but there are plenty of times I'd be happy to get a break from my kids. Times when Maggie is screaming "NO, LEO!" without ceasing or when Leo decides just to join in on the ruckus for the hell of it while he's tossing all his food on the floor. Or, when Maggie has wet her bed, and Leo is screaming from bed because he filled his diaper, and all I need is to sit still in a quiet place for two minutes. You know those times.

Then, there's just the regular life of errand running, house cleaning, meal preparing, etc. that isn't always boring, but it's hard to really savor those moments.

I read a Momastery post recently in which Glennon suggests you give up on "enjoying every moment," and isn't that what The Stage Manager suggests we can't really do anyway? I'm not a "poet or a saint," after all. Glennon suggests you just try to keep your eye out for Kairos moments: the moments when you step outside of chronological time and just enjoy a wonderful moment, maybe even just a few seconds.

So, in honor of that, here was my kairos moment of this morning, when I took a break from packing up three people while managing to keep two entertained and out of trouble. No one was fully dressed, but we headed out to the porch and just played. All of a sudden, I realized Leo was trying to water the vegetables while Maggie sang in the background. It was perfect.



1 comment :

  1. very sweet video! I like the idea of kairos moments and find that a far more realistic (and attainable) goal than enjoying every moment. LHM.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!