Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday, September 13th

Today was the first day it has really felt like fall around here. A violent thunderstorm blew in yesterday afternoon, causing me to scramble to get a bunch of stuff under cover. Today is cool and even the light feels like fall.

This morning we went shoe shopping. Maggie wears absurdly expensive (read: $70) orthotics in her shoes to support her pronated ankles, and there is a wonderful shoe store that sells the orthotics and then finds a pair of shoes that fit the orthotics and her feet (this is no easy task, let me tell you). If you live the Maryland suburbs of DC, check out Shoe Train at Cabin John Mall, even if your kid doesn't need orthotics. I can't sing the praises of the customer service or selection of high-quality children's shoes loudly enough. Maggie's final choice was a pair of gold Mary Janes.


Little Leo gets what I can find on sale online, but his new shoes are pretty cute, too. This morning I put on his old, brown, hand-me-down Keens, and he walked over to his new ones and brought them to me instead. So I let him wear the new ones though they're still mighty roomy. He must have gotten the idea he can switch out his shoes at any time because he kept bringing me a pair of silver glitter shoes with pink bows in the shoe store and seemed very disappointed he couldn't wear them.

And for all you bluegrass fans out there, today would have been the father of bluegrass himself, Bill Monroe's, 102nd birthday. Here's what the Writer's Almanac said about him this morning:
It's the birthday of the "Father of Bluegrass," Bill Monroe, born in Rosine, Kentucky (1911), a brilliant mandolinist and a hard-driving tenor singer. His mother was an excellent fiddler, but his main inspiration was his Uncle Pen Vandiver, whom Monroe later honored with the song "Uncle Pen." In 1938, Bill formed the Blue Grass Boys, a group that would include future stars of country music such as Don Reno, Jimmy Martin, Carter Stanley, Vassar Clements, Chubby Wise, and Byron Berline — and Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.
source
Monroe's song "Sittin' Alone in the Moonlight":
Sittin' alone in the moonlight,
Thinkin' of the days gone by,
Wonderin' about my darlin'.
I can still hear her sayin' good-bye.

Oh, the moon glows pale as I sit here.
Each little star seems to whisper and say,
"Your sweetheart has found another,
And now she is far, far away.

And here's a link to Bill Monroe, sans the mutton chops of his later years, performing Uncle Pen. "You could hear it talk; you could hear it sing!"

I hope you have as pleasant and accident-free a Friday the 13th as we are having so far!

P.S. Just discovered, via facebook, that today is Roald Dahl Dayhttp://www.roalddahlday.info/! My favorite is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. What's yours?

1 comment :

Make my day and leave me a comment!