Friday, September 27, 2013

The bravest thing I ever did...

Joining Complete the Sentence Friday at Finding Ninee this week.

I think I'm pretty brave. When I was young and single, I moved city to city every two years, once to Malaysia, of all places. Then I moved to Asheville, NC just to see if a relationship would work out (it did). I gave birth to two babies at home. Once I did something that required so much courage, I had to serve 40 hours of community service for it (still worth it, though).

But, today, I think the bravest thing I've ever done is start a public blog.

I'm an introvert, a pretty strong one. My I score is only outranked by my F on the Myers-Briggs. So why would I start a blog?

There's something oddly safe about sharing your life, your worries, your pursuits, etc. to an audience that does not have a face. From my experience, it's not at all unusual for a public blogger to actually be an introvert. Introverts want friends, but they shy away from face-to-face events where friendships can be made because they hate and dread small talk and the superficial relationship that comes before a real friendship can develop.

A public blog provides the opportunity of jumping straight to the the personal, the serious, and the important without that superficial bullshit. And everybody has a match; you're bound to find people who respond to what you have to say, and you can begin to form real, deep relationships with others.

So, why is starting a blog brave? Because you still risk rejection. Maybe people won't read your blog. Maybe someone will be rude or thoughtless in the comment section. It's hard to put yourself out there, waiting and hoping for the readers who identify with what you have to say. It can be hard to believe that you have a unique point of view worth publishing in the wide, wide blogosphere.

So, today, starting a blog is the bravest thing I've ever done. And since most people reading this blog post are also bloggers, I think you're brave, too. In fact, your bravery and your posts are sometimes the highlights of my day.

a gratuitous selfie since no blog post is complete without a picture

12 comments :

  1. You summed it up perfectly about how I feel about blogging and see what have this much in common. Thank you so much for linking with us today for the first time and just so happy you joined. Hope you will join us again in the weeks to come now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Janine! I'll be back!

      Delete
  2. OK, the curiosity is killing me! 40 hours of community service and completely worth it huh? ;) Since this is your first time joining in with the #FTSF, this is my first time stopping by. I'll have to pop back in later and do some wandering around. Welcome board! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A story for another day, Chris. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
    2. It was definitely worth it! Thanks, babe!

      Delete
  3. As your cousin I can confirm you are SO BRAVE! However, I cannot confirm that you are bald, which is how that selfie makes you look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This selfie is evidence for the receding hairline I've been talking about, Katie. Do you believe me now?

      Delete
  4. That is definitely brave. I too am an extreme introvert, and starting a blog was tough, so believe me - I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a weird combo of being an introvert on the inside but, as I'm oldish for a mom (45 now), have found ways to fake it. Blogging is one of them. You're so right about it taking extreme bravery to put ourselves out there. Although, I have to ask, as I'm planning (maybe - yikes) to put myself out there in a way I never have before in next week's FTSF, do you "really" put yourself out there or just the self that you think people will be okay with? Because I'm wondering, after now having had my one-year blog bday, whether I mostly just put stuff out there - while it's painful sometimes for sure - that I know will be "ok." Does that make sense?
    And yes. Happy blogging to you. So so so glad you're doing so and so glad you linked up this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment deserves a really thoughtful response, Kristi. That’s why it’s taken me so long to get back to you!

      I think there is definitely a limit to which we put ourselves out there. But that's the same as in public, too. Everyone has their own line they can't cross, but it's different for everybody. I applaud people who can be more open than I am even if they're sharing info I would never share.

      In public or on the blogosphere, we share more if we feel safe enough to do so (thought it may still seem risky). I think you must be feeling safe if you're preparing for a big share. After I've been reading a blogger for awhile, I feel so friendly towards that person that I'm unlikely to be anything but supportive as a result of a new revelation. For instance, Glennon of Momastery. She shares just about everything, and it fits right in with the purpose of her blog. I love her for it, though I can't imagine sharing as openly.

      As I think about it, I realize you also have to have a lot of confidence to share openly. And that's a great thing to model: confidence in who you are no matter what.

      All that to say, I think you should go for it! You have certainly whetted my interest. I’m sad to say I’m stumped as to next week’s FTSF and so may not participate. We’ll see if I can come up with a good response. If not, the next week. I am really loving this group of bloggers!

      Delete
  6. I meant to write when I first read this but didn't get the chance, and I'm not sure I have anything to add, but I did want to say that you are brave in many, many ways, and that I look up to you and admire you for them all!!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!