Thursday, October 3, 2013

More Alterations..Plus Styling!

Let this evening go down in history as the evening my children consumed an entire cantaloupe in half an hour. I'm not talking about a small one either. It was a good, regular-sized cantaloupe, and I think they both ate about half. Leo can hold his own when it comes to fruit consumption.

In other news, I had a lecture on executive function to attend, and I took the opportunity to try out one of my latest alteration projects. I bought this dress on credit at my consignment shop, and I like its looseness, but I felt it was a tad too long, being so loose. Hemming is no big deal, but for this garment, I learned to blind hem. If this term means nothing to you, it means when you hem but only tiny, widely-spaced stitches show through the front.

Two traits that will keep me from being an excellent sewist are my weak spatial skills and my lack of patience for perfection. My weak spatial skills account for why I will not post a tutorial here on how to sew a blind hem on your machine. However, this one, through some trial and error, guided me through it. As far as that patience for perfection, I had it at one time in my life. At one time in my life, it might have been a defining characteristic. But something has driven it out. Children, no doubt. That lack accounts for why I don't care that my blind hem did not exactly match up with the seam near the bottom of the dress. Still pretty good, though.

The blind hem is the tiny stitches. The larger ones are decoration.



But on to the dress. This is how I wore it to the lecture. I know the picture quality is lacking. I can't take my own pictures, you see. But you can still see the ombre effect of the dress. It's been warm lately, but I figured I'd be cold inside so I opted for a jacket.











This is how I plan to wear the dress this weekend when I get to go on a date with my husband. Now you can tell how loose the dress is. Still I think it looks cute with heels.


















I am being sympathetic to a whiny child in this photo. Excuse the face.






And here's how I might wear it on a regular day. Or, let's face it, I'd probably choose more comfy pair of shoes like the houndstooth pair in the first photo, which might be the most comfortable pair of flats I own. There's also some decorative stitching around the neck of the dress as well as near the bottom, but it doesn't show up in the pictures. 

















Anyhow, a pretty versatile article of clothing on half price sale at my consignment store! I really, really wanted to participate in the full Plane Pretty 7x7 remix. Someday. For now, I can offer just the one and a link-up with Not Dead Yet Style. Thanks for reading!

7 comments :

  1. This is a really cute dress! And so fun to have thrifted it! It's also great to be able to wear it so many ways. I think I'm going to do the 7x7 remix each month so it'd be fun to have you join at some point! Thanks for linking up anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!