Thursday, November 7, 2013

Frugal Decorating: Cranberries for the Holidays

I've decided to add a new label to my blog: Frugal Decorating. I can't be the only SAHM out there who can't afford to put together the decorations and displays seen around Google+ and Pinterest. And I know I'm not the only one who chooses to reuse and repurpose for more than economical reasons.

But, at this time of year it's fun to put up holiday decorations, and I'm always on the look out for inspiration on how to do so cheaply. My plan is to highlight decorating ideas that require little to no expenditure (of money, that is). And, as always, if you can get a preschooler involved, that's a plus.

Cranberries are so pretty. And so closely tied to fall and winter holidays. I came across a monster-sized bag of cranberries at Costco the other day and figured I could have some fun with its contents. I rummaged through my stash of jars/vases/candle holders, and here's what I came up with:

The squirrel is a relic of my childhood. It may be older than I am, for all I know.



This jar actually held a centerpiece at a good friend's wedding. I got to take one home, and I haven't removed the bow because I like it so much.

And here's the whole mantel and a tutorial for how I preserved the leaves (which you can also see hanging in the window reflected in the picture).


And I put this candle arrangement on our table to set the mood a bit:


You know what's funny? When your toddler climbs up on the table (as he knows he's not supposed to do) to taste those pretty red berries! Joke's on him!

My ways to use cranberries are just a start. Take this inspiration and run with it!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment!