Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ten Things of Thankful: The First

I have to say that the ladies to participate in FTSF and TTOT are really appealing people. I'm a little slow to join this party, but I love, love, love the idea of finding ten things to be thankful about no matter how rotten things are. Now things aren't rotten around here, but it's a good exercise at any time. So...

NUMBER ONE: MY MAMA. Today is my mama's birthday, and though my children refused to speak to her on the phone this morning, she is the grandparent they connect most to, probably because she never hesitates to roll around on the floor with them and lets them run the show (within reasonable limits). She's Montessori Nona, and we all love her to pieces.

I had one of those days that was productive yet pleasant. I got a lot done, but I never felt rushed or stressed. I started the day with this enormous accomplishment:

That's fourteen pairs of shoes, I'll have you know!

Can I say that I enjoy polishing shoes? It gives me such a sense of satisfaction after very little time and energy. And today, I had a fire in the fireplace, new shoe polish, and children willing to self-entertain. Brian kept saying, "You polished all my shoes? They look completely different! Wow, you polished all my shoes?" Add the gratitude of one's spouse to the list.

Maggie was also completely charming. She tried on my brown heels and told me they looked like an elephant (heel-->trunk). She also excitedly announced to Brian, "Daddy, come see the new tuh-nail polish we got you!" To Maggie, all polish is tuh-nail polish. Nevermind if it is for shoes or that her daddy does not actually paint his toenails.

Someday I will own a box like this. How cool is this? I know you all want one, too.

source
Until you have more than one child, you do not know the joy and relaxation of running an errand with only one. It's actually a fabulous bonding time. Our local craft store was running some huge sales, and I had a big coupon so we went out and had a girl-only shopping trip. We sang along with the store radio and danced in the aisles. Maggie got the ride in the basket, big girl though she is. We had a fabulous time.

Our haul--stay tuned for how it will be used.
That's nine (count 'em). Number ten? Pancakes and bacon for supper. Nothing better than brinner!


Check out hosts

21 comments :

  1. Welcome to the PARTY... better late than never! Shoe polishing? I remember doing this as a kid... I have to say I looooooved doing it. We all had stuff we had to do and I would fight for this one... there is something satisfying about the immediate gratification factor... I would have killed for one of those boxes as a kid... I don't think Ive bought shoe polish ever as an adult! Tell you much about how my shoes are looking?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they're looking about like our shoes did before I got after them. If you decide to start polishing, spring for Meltonian polish. Great product!

      Delete
  2. I got so excited about shoes I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NONA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the bloghop! I'm even more excited to have you, knowing you are an aisle dancer. When the music hits, you just have to dance.
    I have never polished a pair of shoes in my life. Wouldn't know where to begin. Of course, the canvas shoes I wear on a daily basis are much better cleaned in a washing machine. (Not that I do that either.) :)
    Why is it that kids refuse to talk to their favorite grandparents on the phone?
    We always have pancakes for dinner when my husband won't be home for some reason. He's not the biggest fan of them, but I think they should have been dinner food from the day they were first invented.
    Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened the latest Mumford&Sons album on repeat in my car for most of last fall so when I hear one of the songs on a store soundtrack, I immediately join in.
      I usually serve mac and cheese when my husband is working late. Not sure why since he loves that dish, too.

      Delete
  4. Yay, Amy! Welcome to the party! I'm kinda new at it, but it's the best thing.

    I can't tell you the last time I polished shoes...can I send you mine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amy - this is an AWESOME first list - thank you for the reminder when you got to number ten - I'd enjoyed reading them so much that I hadn't even noticed I'd gotten that far!

    I think the "tuh-nail polish" might be the cutest thing I've heard about for a while, and I love the imagery of her in your big boots. Tiny girls in big boots ALWAYS look completely adorable - I've a few gorgeous photos of Niece in a pair of mine (that said, mine were Big Tough Boots rather than fashionable ones, but still way cute)

    And you've reminded me I should probably make pancakes for tea for Husby soon - he loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea! I spent a semester of college in London and LOVED it. When I returned to central Texas (where I went to college), I would drive into Austin to go the one store that sold clotted cream.

      Delete
    2. That sounds rather like you were going for a cream tea there :) I like your style :)

      Delete
  6. Hiya Amy! Welcome to the thankful club! An awesome first list indeed, and we hope you'll link up often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, Michelle!

      Delete
  7. Yay for celebrating Mama! And I love your shoes. And guess what...I will bring you a very special treat at Thanksgiving--something I inherited from dad that I don't use, so you should probably have it, even though I have sentimental attachment. I NEVER polish shoes. And yay for being thankful, a good practice indeed. PS Can't wait to see how your new crafting purchases turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!?!?!? You have Dad's shoe polish box?!?!?!

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the hop! We're big believers in brinner, too. In fact, I'm pretty sure we're having breakfast food tonight. Happy birthday to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. …and on behalf of the vanishingly small contingent hailing from the great state of Y Chrome! Please allow me to say, 'Welcome to the TToT!'
    it is an amazing place and, without doubt, the best bloghop out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have been more careful with my vocab choice, clearly. Thank you for the welcome!

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the TToT, Amy! It's a wonderful exercise to list your thankfuls, especially when the week has been less than stellar.

    There must be a Zen quality to polishing shoes, because my husband loves it, too. I'll get my Zen moments making bread and leave the polishing up to him and you.

    Tuh-nail polish? Love it!

    Hope to see you back again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zen is it. Wish I had thought to describe it that way in my post. I can see how kneading bread dough might be the same, but for some reason I find kneading boring enough to be a bread-making deterrent most of the time. Thanks for the welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If Birthday Mama's mantra is "Heavens to Betsy!" Amycake's is "Let me tell you!" And, no, Beth does not have my shoe polish box. How would I polish my shoes without it?
    Secret Fan of Meltonian and friend of the little gnome in the john

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!