Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Eight-Pocket Hanukkah Banner for the Kiddies

It would take some effort and might not be even possible for me to be prouder of this Hanukkah banner. I wanted something interactive with pockets that could be made cheaply. All told, I think this banner set me back about $15 in felt and fusible web. Therefore, it will still be labeled with my "Frugal Decorating" label, but I will admit, there's nothing frugal when it came to the time and energy this thing took.

eight-pocket hanukkah banner

I've mentioned on this blog before that we celebrate Jewish and Christian holidays around our house. Aside from the retro Advent calendar (or four), I really must make for Christmas 2014, we've got lots of Christmas stuff. But, beyond the several menorahs (I don't know quite how they accumulate), we don't have much for Hanukkah. Enter late-night Pinterest browsing.

After Pinteresting for a month or so, I decided my favorite banner I'd seen was one made my Land of Nod in some year past. Using that one for inspiration and this blogger's applique tutorial, more or less, I got...


Seriously, does it get any cuter?!?! Even considering the fact that the large Star of David pocket is oh, so slightly tilted?

The main panel and each pocket are double-sided with fusible web in between. I managed to construct it all from six 9x11 sheets of colored felt in greens and blues (and one yellow) and one large 1/2 yard piece of felt from the roll (72"). The ribbons and thread I had on hand. After years of collecting crafting supplies that I never used because I didn't have time, these stashes are paying off!

eight-pocket hanukkah banner

The candles are designed to be pulled out of their pockets the night they are lit. But the pockets can also hold a small treat of some kind...like gelt. The chocolate only indiscriminate children will eat.


Poor Hanukkah got a bit of the shaft this year while we did our Thanksgiving traveling for most of it, but the banner did get some action at the end of the holiday. 

eight-pocket hanukkah banner


7 comments :

  1. Very cool. We should celebrate more than one religious tradition in our house. If my kids found out about the chocolate ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but gelt is pretty low-class chocolate. Little kids are happy enough with it, though. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Sarah, that is a wonderful banner. We are a two faith family and I agree that Hanukkah items are difficult to come by. ..and vute ones even more so. I think our daughter would absolutely love something like this so I am pinning this post immediately. This year is now too late, but I am going to get a head start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing we have in common! Starting now is a good idea. I completely forgot that I had committed to making Advent calendars like my grandmother made for her children's families so the next generation could have them, too. Woops. Too late for this year. But I'll probably start in January in order to have them done in time.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS AMAZEBALLS! Seriously, I'm impressed! So cool, Sarah! My IRL BFF celebrated both growing up, and now does both for her sons and I think it's so beautiful (and cool!) for her kids to get to experience both. I'm sure it's a lot of work, too, but awesome just the same. We were invited to dinner last year and it was the first night of Hanukkah so my sons got to participate. I was so honored to be a part of it! They gave our boys dradels (sp?)....we still have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the challenge of it, Beth. The gifts, oh, the gifts, oh, the gifts, gifts, gifts, GIFTS! We used to give both Hanukkah and Christmas gifts, and it was absurd. Truly. So now we give gelt for Hanukkah and gifts for Christmas.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!