Thursday, December 12, 2013

FTSF7: O, Come for the Superficial...or Delicious

Last week I labeled my FTSF post as #4. Um...it turns out it was #6. So, this week is #7. People post some pretty solid, thought-provoking stuff on FTSF, but I'm just gonna go light (well, maybe not light) and superficial this week. But delicious.

My fat jeans were tight over Thanksgiving so I have made a concerted effort to cut back the last week or so. For me, that means cutting out the bread and dairy (not the alcohol, heaven forbid!). I haven't been perfect (my coffee needs milk), and I do love a bowl of Cheerios (yellow box, thankyouverymuch). We also just might have made muffins two days ago (actually, I haven't eaten one, but I think there might be one in my future). And I seem to be overindulging in parentheses.

I am also overindulging in dessert dreaming. Here are some of my daydreams:

Eggnog Florentines
Most of my favorite desserts are chocolate, but this one is definitely calling my name. Doesn't it sound delightful? And rather complex, and therefore, exciting to make. I have already sent the recipe to my mother, and it is on the agenda once we arrive.

Grasshopper Brownies

This is my idea of a nearly perfect dessert (the white chocolate in that filling is making me a little nervous). I have an extremely high tolerance for rich chocolate (please get that milk chocolate away from me), but high standards for what can be mixed in (fruit and nuts, gag me with a spoon!). Mint and coffee make the cut. I've made a similar dessert, and these looks tantalizing.

My very favorite cookie in the world is not one I have a photo of. It's a mocha cookie you pipe out with a cookie press and then dip in melted chocolate on the ends. It is the.best.thing.ever. Silly people sprinkle nuts on the melted chocolate; those who know better do not.

Finally, I know this will be waiting for me in my parents' freezer when we arrive, even if I didn't write a post about it that my father will read.

source
Are you from Texas? Ever lived in Texas? I only know of one person in the world who had had this ice cream and doesn't believe it is the best vanilla ice cream in the whole wide world. And she's crazy. "Blue Bell's the best ice cream in the country!"

How about you? Are you trying to keep the weight down until later this month, or are you already indulging?


24 comments :

  1. Totally indulging and figure I will deal with it in January like I do every year! Thanks for linking this up with us and from NY, so that ice cream was totally all new to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Texas and Love me some Blue Bell! I'm indulging to an extent. I don't want to go hog wild, but I don't want to restrict myself either. I love it all too much! YUM. I love mint and dark chocolate. omg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you need to find a recipe for Carolina Cream. I looked online and couldn't locate one. It's BBHV and bourbon and some other alcohol. It's way better than eggnog.

      Delete
    2. I think a Carolina Creme has creme de cacao and brandy, but does not have bourbon. It's relatively similar to a Brandy Alexander.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I'm trying to lose a few ponds before going home for the holidays so that my brothers are not tempted to say "WOW! You look...um...wider." bur I'm not doing the best job of it recently. Also, I've never heard of Eggnog Florentines but OMG the look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, brothers. Look at the reply I made to Beth, above. I bet you'd like them, too!

      Delete
  4. Oh Sarah. I've been indulging since Halloween. It's not good. I have a party to go to tomorrow night, and every dress in my closet that I try on makes my stomach pop out. Something is clearly wrong with my clothes! ((((and I like parentheses, so overindulge away!))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the poochy stomach that got me serious, Dana. There was a time in my life, a time before children, when I had a flat stomach. Now, even when I am at a low weight, I still have a tummy.

      Delete
  5. Ok so I am pregnant right now and I'm craving salty, really, but this is tipping the scale a bit! LOL. I love chocolate...dark chocolate to be exact. I read the title grasshopper brownies to my husband and he said as long as it doesn't have a grasshopper in it. (Only he can say something to make something sound disgusting after I think it might look and sound great lol). Your mocha ice cream sounds yummy. I'm usually a chocolate chip cookie dough girl for obvious reasons! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that you were pregnant today. Congrats on that. When are you due?

      Delete
  6. Oh, I am over indulging in dessert (and parentheses) over here too! I'd love to visit Texas one day and when I do, one of the first things I'll be doing is heading to the supermarket to buy a tub of Blue Bell ice-cream and a spoon :) Here's to indulging in all its forms ... it is the season to be jolly after all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got your head screwed on just right!

      Delete
  7. Yes - I am trying to keep the weight down. I love your reference to the fat jeans. So get that. I totally judge my weight by the fit of my pants. When they are sooo tight it's time to get serious. I have never been to Texas so have to admit I'm not familiar with the ice cream. However - it sounds incredible.
    This Christmas I'm going to sample everything just perhaps keep an eye on the size of the sample.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh man, I am already overindulging. I'm really not a sweets person & I'm able to restrain myself all year long, but I allow myself to eat whatever in December. I've been to two cookie exchanges this week alone & have eaten way too much. I'm going to the gym tomorrow & I'm pretty sure it's gonna hurt! Ah well, it's only one month a year I go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We fly to my parents' this Wednesday, and I will go to town as soon we get there. Then think about it again in January.

      Delete
  9. I think I like the idea of over-indulging in parentheses better than anything else :D What fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's healthy to do year-round (right?)!

      Delete
  10. Oh my! That is my daydream too. Yum! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a real sweet tooth. I could make desserts every week.

      Delete
  11. I love the parentheses - over-indulge to your heart's content. I think it's a great look into the stream-of-consciousness that we all have running through our heads.

    As for my fat pants, I approach the holidays pretty much the way I do the rest of the year - I try not to go crazy over the top with indulgence, but I don't deny myself, either. I am a huge anti-fad-diet person and I"ve found personally that most intentional efforts to lose weight don't work. When I switched my thinking - and my whole family's eating - to more of a healthy lifestyle choice, I dropped fifteen pounds like almost nothing - did not change one other thing but focus on putting decent and healthy foods in. No one was more surprised than I to find those pounds gone. So did I have whiskey-soaked cake for dessert last night? Yes, I did. Do I have the greasy cheeseburger when the mood strikes? I do. It's what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely true, Lisa, and I do try to stick to a mostly healthy regimen so that when I feel like indulging I can (like on cake or cheeseburgers). Gosh, I'm hungry right now.

      Delete
  12. Over indulging, as I always do. I'll be in line at the gym after New Years just like everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have just ruined my healthy streak. Oh well.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!