Monday, January 13, 2014

Sunshine for You: Spillage and a Video!

The Great Beth Tehilo of Writer B is Me awarded me a Sunshine Award, which most certainly brought me sunshine, and I will make every attempt to pass that sunshine right on to deserving others.

I mentioned this award in my TToT two weekends ago and recommended you visit Writer B is Me because Beth is so very funny. But she is more than that. She is thoughtful and clever and an excellent writer, and her blog is well worth your time.

So, on with the show. I'm going with seven because I've been working on this for several days, and seven random facts is all I've come up with. Get ready for some spillage.

1. My favorite YA novel ever is A Wrinkle in Time. And I don't usually go in for science fiction. But it is so much more than that. I love it to the extent that I wanted to name my daughter Meg for Meg Murray, the most perfect heroine ever. The Dude's not much of a fan of Meg so we compromised with Maggie, full name Margaret.

2. I was absolutely certain of the genders of both my children before the genders were confirmed. When we were told we were having a daughter, I thought, "Yes, I know." When we were told we were having a son, I thought, "D%^n, I was holding out hope I was wrong." For the record, having a son is WONDERFUL. I just didn't know it yet.

3. I was a member of the drill team, the Swingsters, when in high school. I wore a gold sequined cowboy hat as part of my costume. I did high kicks and splits on the football field.

I'm not sure you can get skinnier.
4. I cry very easily. Have had my whole life.

5. I have a strong ability to hyperfocus. I did not hear my mother calling me when I was playing with my dollhouse as a child, I did not hear my best friend whispering my name in class (I was too busy daydreaming) in high school, and I now can tune out my children and my husband when my mind is elsewhere. Leads to great efficiency and lots of frustration for others.

6. Amycake is the punchline to the first joke I ever made up, knock-knock style. I was two. You can put together the rest.

7. I also wrote a song when I was around the same age. And, following the example of Kristi of Caillou Disgust, I offer it to you in my real voice:



I wrote it for my Uncle Mike, who is indeed tall, and I had a sort of lumbering walk that went along with it. When I went for my first free email address, sometime in the early oughts, tallman was taken; amycake was not.


Now for Beth's questions:

1. If you could go back in time ten years and tell yourself one thing, what would it be?
Ten years ago, I was nearly 28, living in Malaysia, and struggling with a decision. Really, an ideal time to drop in with some advice. But I'd only second some good advice I got from my mama, which was something like this: No matter what decision you make, it will be the right one.

2. What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
Even I am getting bored with the number of times I've talked about my favorite ice cream. If you don't know, you haven't been listening (reading). 

I mean, it's Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. I couldn't really pass up a chance to talk about my favorite ice cream, you know.

3. If you were to take me on a date, where would we go and why?
Well, I'm not the kind of person who needs a lot of adventure for a date. I like to find a place where you can sit and talk and relax. And Beth would be a fun person to talk to. So I think we would go to Grape Juice in Kerrville, TX, a place (I think) we could meet up without too much difficulty. Plus the owner there is a great guy, and I don't mind advertising for him on the off-chance I have a reader in the Hill Country who has not heard of this place. Grape Juice has a really great selection of beer and wine, and we could sit out back if it's not too hot. Or we could buy something and go put out feet in the Guadalupe while we drank it. And talk. 

4. Above all else, what are you afraid of?
Drowning. Or being abadoned.

5. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
Fly. Swear I'm not stealing that one from Lizzi. I planned it even before I read hers.

6. What has been your favorite age to be and why?
I think I might have said early-mid 30s at one point. Now, I'm not sure. I'll tell on my deathbed.

7. Coffee or tea?
And the java and me. A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup.
Coffee. For sure.


Yay, now I am going to have some fun passing on this award. I am going to choose seven bloggers whose posts cheer me when I see them in bloglovin' feed. I get excited to know a post from one of them is coming on down the line (this includes Beth, but I don't think there are backsies (said Thelma)).

Atelier because Mary's has a writes from a cool, clear point of view, which is not me, and therefore, very interesting to read.

Camp Patton because Grace's is one of the first blogs I ever followed. And she's hilariously irreverent.

Considerings because Lizzi's so brave. (I know you already did one so you can ignore this, Lizzi.)

Finding Ninee because Kristi's the first special needs mom blogger I found, and she make me wants to try harder.

Left Brain Buddha because Sarah's blog is going to be a touchstone for me this year, and she preaches what I need to hear.

The Meaning of Me because Lisa was my first "real" bloggy friend, though she doesn't know my name. :)

The Muddle-Headed Mama because I love her honesty.


And seven questions for those ladies:

1. In what form do you prefer your chocolate?

2. What did you major in in college (or university)? Do you still do something related to that field?

3. Name a word you love to say.

4. Name your three best physical features (your favorites, not society's).

5. What is something that has made you proud in the last week?

6. What is one of your favorite aromas?

7. If you could only have a bathroom or a kitchen, which would you choose?


Have fun, Sunshine Bringers!






16 comments :

  1. Ah, Sarah, this was AWESOME!!!! I smiled the entire time I was reading. Thank you for the lovely things you said about me. You're too sweet.

    Love that you were on a drill team! That's so impressive to me. I don't do anything that requires grace or coordination. Also, why were you in Malaysia? Do I know this story? I don't think so....

    Awesome nominees! Several are new blogs for me to stalk...yippppeee!

    Also, love your song. hahaha. You are brave to vlog, I could never do it! You'e so cute.
    Also, OUR DATE. I was just in Kerville in November and LOVED it! It's so beautiful and quaint. I would adore a date where we just sipped libations and talked. I love to talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about impressive. I look back on it and think it's pretty silly. But I did have to work hard to get there because I have NO innate coordination or grace.

      I taught at The International School of Kuala Lumpur for two years, 2003-2005. GREAT experience. Left me with a love of batik and elephant prints.

      Thanks for the feedback on the song. I wanted to do something to take this post up a notch. :)

      Glad you like the date idea!

      Delete
  2. That song was awesome - how are you not a song writer by trade? I love Beth too, and love Lizzi and Kristi. I'll have to visit the other blogs you mentioned and find some new friends! Congrats on your award, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. Why wasn't that tune immediately snatched up by a record label?

      Delete
  3. "I'm a Tall Man" is very inspired and I'm completely impressed that you sung it in a vlog! That's so cool. I do wish you were wearing your gold sparkly cowboy hat though (please tell me you do still have it). And thank you so very much huge much for the lovely sunshine today! You're the best and sweetest to include Finding Ninee and I'm completely honored. Thank you. Also your words were so NICE!
    A wrinkle in time is awesome! I read that book so many times when I was a kid. You mentioning it today makes me want to reread it, because it's been a long long time. And I cry easily, too. It must just be something awesome people do. Thanks again for the award! I really appreciate it and look forward to checking out some of the blogs on your list that I haven't heard of yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, I don't! I never did! We didn't buy those but borrow them from the school. It's was worn by someone else when my time was over.
      You should reread AWIT. It's the best! And, yes, we are awesome.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the honor!! I am so glad my blog has inspired you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous post, Sarah! I love your tall man song. I was a bit older when my sister and I made up THE MOST IRRITATING SONG IN THE WORLD. And it still earworms on me to this day! AUGH!

    What's the story about Malaysia?

    I love the sparkly hat :D

    And you have NO IDEA AT ALL how huge I grinned at the Java Jive. I sing that. I *heart* that big.

    (and you know what, I'm totally accepting this - thank you :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught at The International School of Kuala Lumpur for two years, Lizzi. It was a great experience, but in the end, I don't think I'm cut out to be an expat. I miss my family too much.

      Yea, I am so excited you got my reference! I was so hoping someone would. My parents had that on a record when I was a kid, and it popped into my head when I read the question.

      Delete
    2. Oh WOW! That's very cool. You've lived much :D

      My Dad may have done a lot of wrong, but something he DID do right was sing me that song. LOVE IT.

      Delete
  6. First up, thank you so so enormously much for passing this onto me, Sarah! You have definitely brought sunshine into my week and given me that boost that every blogger needs now and then :) Now I love that you were certain of your children's genders before they were born. I felt the same when I was pregnant with my son. In fact, two men actually told me randomly and very assertively after gazing at my belly that I was going to have a boy. They were so sure of themselves that I felt like I had officially found of the gender! I have never read 'A Wrinkle in Time' and I don't usually go in for sci-fi either, but since you recommend it so highly, I might just have to find it and give it a try. That's so cool that you used to live in Malaysia. Were you teaching English? I love that you sang to us (you have a really lovely voice by the way!) and I've got to say, your mama sounds like a very wise woman; I love her perspective on decision making. That's going to be something I will remember and think about often. I also love and kind of envy your ability to hyperfocus. I'm pretty darn good at daydreaming, but focus is a bit different I think! My dad and my son are awesome hyperfocusers ... I thought it was a male thing! LOL. Loved reading this post and thanks again so much. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, I can focus on daydreaming. Not sure that's an amazing trait, but it sure is fun!

      I actually was a special educator, same as throughout my career. I taught kids from around the world at the International School of Kuala Lumpur. Did my share of ESL by default, as well.

      You should definitely read A Wrinkle in Time. It's so great!

      Delete
  7. OK, first, I am so glad to know where Amycake comes from because my Fab Hub completely does not understand how your name is Sarah (see I DO know it) and your blog says Amycake. Now I can answer him.

    I absolutely love your drill team shot. I think you can get skinnier - or at least we could have a tie. I may have to drag out my drum major uniform photo. My entire body plus uniform weighed about the equivalent of my left leg right now.

    And then...BAM! You gave me a sunshine award??? See what happens when I get behind on my reading and don't know what's going on in blog land? OMG thanks for it! I love it. And I'm so happy to be your first bloggy friend - I think we would have way too much fun being IRL buds and probably get into some serious trouble. So yay for blog friends. Oh, yeah, and it's perfect then that we've found each other because that hyperfocus thing? We can do it on command around here - all. three. of. us.

    Does it make me old if I knew that Java Jive reference?

    So now I have a sunshine from you AND from Lizzi and I had better get crackalacking on those...and thanks again for the Sunshine award! Your blog also definitely makes me smile. :)

    Oh, one more random thought - so glad you and Maggie enjoyed Z is for Moose. Did I not tell you that was awesome? You should also try The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers. It's hysterical. And lots of color! We loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you and Lizzi new the Java Jive reference. That made MY day!

      I am so flattered that your husband even knows who I am! I included the explanation for you and all the people who have called me Amy in the comments section. It is confusing.

      I'll definitely look into the other book. Maggie and I saw a picture of a zebra today at the geneticist's office, and she said, "Remember that book we checked out from the library about the zebra? I liked that book."

      Delete
    2. Oh, LOVE that! If a kid loves a book enough to remember it, that is a good day. I am a huge champion of children's literacy and all I can say to anybody is read read read to your kids. And then read some more. And let them see you reading. And then read together. I love that Maggie remembered the book!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!