Friday, January 17, 2014

TToT8: The Toddler Bed

Sometimes I am impulsive. It's my nature to move fast, and I get a lot of satisfaction from getting something done quickly. Some people in my life (I won't name names, BHB and EMSH) like to point out that by hurrying, I make errors or forget things, and it's better to slow down and consider your moves carefully. But I don't like doing that. I like to make up my mind and act. Even if I'll have some regrets later, at least I didn't freeze progress by belaboring the decision.

This is why I will never be any good at chess. Or any game that requires much strategy. Strategy is boring.

Last weekend, a post showed up on our listserv advertising an IKEA toddler bed for free. The owner did admit there was slight damage but nothing not easily fixable. So, I thought, "Why not take a look?" Turns out, the small crack in the wood is entirely fixable with wood glue and a clamp (neither of which I own, but I might someday). Moreover, the crack is on the side on which we do not need to place the rail so the whole issue is moot. A win! (1)

The Dude and I carried the bed home through our neighborhood, which was a bit of a sight, but we didn't have to walk far. However, the minute we got home the I started worrying about the length. And, in fact, upon measuring and doing a little research, it turns out IKEA toddler beds do not fit standard crib mattresses as most toddler beds do. IKEA makes its own mattresses in extra long. Oh, IKEA, why do you have to be so unpredictable? Yes, your storage solutions are amazing, but this different mattress size? And your completely unwieldy baskets? Come on!

Nevertheless, I thought, we can "make it work" with our mattress. (2) Yes, they'll be extra room at the end, but it's not like Leo needs that much room now. We'll just fill it with stuffed animals and get him a longer mattress sometime down the road.

So I went ahead and cleaned up  the frame, moved the rail to the other side, etc. All the while Leo was clearly in love with the idea of having his own "big boy" bed. He climbed all over it, full of smiles, happily impeding my progress. (3)

Honestly, even though I nabbed the bed, but I hadn't really thought we'd do the transition right away. Leo is only 22 months. But his attitude started making me think it was time. Plus, and perhaps more important, his drop-side crib (long since recalled) was third-hand when we got it and was barely hanging on. It had never really recovered from our move, and the drop side was only semi-attached. It hung on with the help of the bumper pad (also recalled; don't judge).

So, I got the bed together and started taking the crib apart. Have you ever assembled or disassembled a crib? I had forgotten what a complete pain in the hmm-hmm that is. It's a week later, and I still have a lump on my head from where one of the ends smacked me. I saw stars. But at least that tiresome old thing is gone. (4)

So, all this was an adventure in itself, and then came the adventure of sleeping in said bed.

I cleverly had an evening out that first night. Ha! (5) When I got home around 10:00, I discovered Leo had hardly slept. He kept rolling out on to the floor or rolling into the crack between the mattress and the wall or into the area at the end with stuffed animals instead of mattress. I did start having regrets at this point. But, he managed to quit rolling at some point after midnight and we all slept through.

Points to The Dude: he never once made a comment about this transition possibly having been an impulsive decision. (6)

The next day I got more creative with extra pillow and blanket placement, and he hasn't rolled out since! (7) Well, maybe once. But that's it.

The downside to the switch is that he no longer naps. He's clearly thought, "Haha! I'm no longer caged in! I can play instead of nap!" I keep thinking he'll be tired enough to go down, but that doesn't seem to be happening (except for the one day I found him curled up on the rug, fast asleep). The upside is he's so exhausted by 6:30 that he conks out for the night. (8)


At naptime, I've taken to sitting outside his room with the door open because then he won't get out of bed. He just watches me and grins, waiting for his moment. I can get computer work done and still keep most of an eye on him, though. Unfortunately, he's almost never fallen asleep, and I always end up giving up because there's something I have to get done in another room of the house. But I cannot describe anything cuter than the look on his face when he thinks he has foiled me. At the slightest hint that I am not watching him, he is up and out of his bed like lightning. This afternoon, I saw him streak out of his room and into Maggie's with the look of greatest joy on his face, dragging his beloved purple hippo behind him. (9) I can't even get mad.

Free at last!

But you know what's the very best? He can get out of bed in the mornings and entertain himself while the rest of us sleep. He reads books and plays with his toys as happy as any little camper until he hears footsteps on the stairs. We are thankful he cannot turn the doorknob yet. (10)


And, as a little bonus this week:

11. Best line of the week (maybe month):


"Look at that Stuart Little-looking motherf#^$er!" --teenager referring to The Dude

He refrained from his initial impulse to respond, "What a great text connection!" and came away from the situation feeling very proud of his fashion sense.










37 comments :

  1. OH, that's a great week indeed. LOVE the part at the end about the Dude. Lemme guess... English teacher? Say I'm right...

    The picture of that little man running down the hall is fantastic! How lucky are you to have caught that on film??? That's Ten Things of Thankful all by itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I can't say you're right! He was an elementary school teacher (wouldn't you love your child to have a male elementary school teacher) for years, but now he's admin.
      I totally made him pose for that last one. I wanted to catch that joy if I possibly could.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Leo's little smile of victory - SO CUTE!

    Simple life-hack - buy one of those long foam pool noodles and put it along the side of his bed UNDER the bottom sheet. That'll hold him in.

    The 'compliment' from the teenager is right on the money (if a little harshly worded) and I'm glad it was taken positively. The Dude certainly has a unique fashion style, but he's wearing it with flair and a HUGE smile, so it works.

    Also, what's wrong with strategy? Do you at least play Scrabble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMAZING idea! Thank you so much! But where can I get a pool noodle at this time of year? I bet Amazon can help me out.
      I don't know, I think he looks cute! And he is confident, so there's that.
      I just can't bother taking the time to strategize. Planning out moved several steps forward just seems so boring to me. And Scrabble is another of those games I'm not good at because of this. I just choose the first word I see in the first place I can put it and go with that. I do love Ruzzle (online Boggle). The whole idea is to play fast so I don't feel the pressure to think things out too far.

      Delete
    2. Hope the noodle works for ya.

      Confidence can't be rated highly enough :D

      And LOL! I love Scrabble, but I plan quickly, on the whole.

      Delete
  3. Strategy IS boring, have to agree with ya....but necessary sometimes! Little Leo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bonus and just couldn't help, but smile seeing that photo. And yay for a free toddler bed, seriously just glad our cribs converted, but if I had to buy toddler beds, I would have loved free, seriously!! Hope you are enjoying the weekend now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free is a great deal! I love our neighborhood listserv!

      Delete
  5. The two of you toting a bed down the street reminds me of the story of my grandparents moving to a house around the corner. No moving truck for them. They just carried it all. I'm surprised no one got a photo of you. :)
    Awesome photo of Leo. He is so stinkin' happy to be free!
    And the comment from the teenager is priceless. Glad he is confident in himself enough to own that look and make a joke about their comment. Of course, I'm thinking you have to be confident in yourself to put those clothes on in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like our neighbors might start keeping their cameras handy for us. We seem to perform.
      Awww, I think he looks cute! And he is confident.

      Delete
    2. He does! You just don't see someone wearing the hat and tie and sweater out and about these days. People notice such things.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It truly made his day. Not has great as the time he saw someone jump out of the window of their moving bus, but definitely a highlight.

      Delete
  7. Yay for the free toddler bed! Leo looks so happy to be free, he's adorable! Stopping by from TToT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha! You had me cracking up most of the time. I didn't realize our sons were so close in age. JR just turned 21 months. We don't have a toddler bed, but this really durable twin blow up mattress that is lower than a real bed so I'm happy to give that a try. I don't think he's going to just lay in it and sleep though since we co sleep. I may have to lay with him to get him to lay in it. You're right about the crib. I imagine it's the reason why it's taking my son so long to take the crib down. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, when you take the crib down just be careful to not let it smack you in the head. I'm impressed with the co-sleeping. I could never do it. I need my space!

      Delete
  9. See this is why leo is my favorite name!! He is so stinkin cute! Love the dude pic...looks like he's resdy for golf! We had a similar bunk bed matress issue...went to a fabric store and bought a square pieve of foam for the end of the bed...if you have an old chair cushion that works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo is a great name, isn't it? Your tip is one of the reasons I love this blogging thing! Such great ideas!

      Delete
  10. "...better to slow down and consider your moves carefully. But I don't like doing that. I like to make up my mind and act. Even if I'll have some regrets later, at least I didn't freeze progress by belaboring the decision"
    (now, please display for the Readers, the photo captioned 'free at last')

    I rest my case…. lol talk about not falling far! Who does not see the save seize the opportunity…act now, consider later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this may be the best comment I have ever gotten. Sometimes it takes an outsider to see it. :)

      Delete
  11. My son took two 2-hour naps a day until shortly after he turned two and moved to a toddler bed, then it was NO naps. Don't really understand how he went from zero to 60 like that, but he did. He also rolled out fairly often, and it sounded like a sack of potatoes hitting the floor, but he usually slept right through it. Leo looks ADORBS in his footy jammies, snoozing away. When he figures out how to turn the doorknob, then make sure to keep some cereal boxes low enough for him to reach.

    The Dude looks pretty adorbs himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good to know though somewhat disheartening. He's definitely tired but can't seem to resist the opportunity to play. I keep hoping he'll give in and nap. Yep, when the doorknob motion comes to him, we'll be in for some trouble.

      Delete
  12. The crib we had was a complete pain to assemble and take apart. And we had the same thing happen with our youngest stopped napping when he got his big boy bed. Your little dude sure is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he stays in is room so I can get some work done. For instance, now.

      Delete
  13. Leo is so adorable in that photo! I can totally see him waiting for you to run to the kitchen for a minute so he can escape!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photo of Leo zipping out of his room is just too adorable for words, so much joy and spirit in that high stepping hike! That guy in the last one is pretty darn cute too! :-) I smiled at your initial comments, because I am so much like that, I repond quickly, sometimes that works to my advantage, sometimes I might have done better to consider it a bit, but at least it keeps life interesting! Great list, totally enjoyed it. Kudos to Leo for graduating to the big boy bed. We should all be so pleased with the upgrades in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, next time The Dude gives me a hard time, I'll remind him I keep life interesting.

      Delete
  15. #10 LOL and everything else, I so get you. I can be impulsive too! One time I decided I was sick of the boy sleeping in my bed so I was going to move his big boy bed into my bedroom - downstairs. Long story short I got trapped in the landing of my stairs because the mattress got wedged. Luckily the boy had been playing with my phone so I could call my sister for help. No one could understand why I couldn't wait, I suspect you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This totally sounds like something I would do. In other words, I completely understand. I love how so many impulsive readers came forward!

      Delete
  16. That SO sounds like something I would do. Strategy games give me a head ache. I like to plan too much is just boring. Love the transition! I did that with two. Once the newness wore off they did end up napping. That 630 bedtime is a dream!

    The Dude is quite the dapperman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS is the response I wanted to hear. Though right now, I hear banging from downstairs when I should hear quiet. Maybe with more time...

      Delete
  17. Your little one looks so precious in his bed. My 19 month old is still in his crib, so I'll keep in mind that he may stop napping once he goes into his big boy bed. I do hope he decides to play like your son so we could get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's positive and negative to it. Hope the transition goes smoothly whenever you get to it.

      Delete
  18. HA I love the teenager's comment and LOVE that your little dude is in a big boy bed! Oh and I hope that you figure out the nap thing. When we transitioned my son to a big boy bed, we lost nap time completely forever and I still grieve those hours daily. Sob. And yeah, strategy smategy. Impulsiveness rocks. By the way, we still have a part of our crib that is put together because the hubs has said he can't get it apart and I've been too lazy to try myself. We just shut the door to that room. OOps.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!