Friday, January 31, 2014

TToT11: Fast and Furious

We have had one of those weeks. An event every night of the week, to do lists growing longer rather than shorter, and some news we'd rather not have had to hear. Not all of it has been bad, though. I had a fabulous birthday on Monday, and I got to catch up on Downton Abbey. I'd love a weekend where I could stay in my PJs and clean the bathrooms ('cause they need it), but sadly, that is not in order. Maybe next week our lives will slow down a little.

So, to proceed:

1. I know Kristi will be disappointed if I don't talk a bit about my birthday here. And it was a happy day. Chocolate cake in the morning and fun unexpected deliveries of flowers from my parents and a sweet gift from an aunt and uncle who are very dear to me.

2. Then, an impromptu dinner choice (after discovering the place The Dude had planned on was closed) that turned out to be serve excellent and original Thai food.

3. A new scarf and a ticket to hear Glennon Doyle Melton speak this February from The Dude! That woman can hardly speak but I start nodding, and in order to get to TX in time to hear her speak, I get to prolong our February trip to see my parents! This man knows me, let me tell you.  A fun and unexpected gift!

4. Maggie got to stay up until we came home, and then we all shared chocolate cake. For unknown Maggie-particular reasons, she did not want to sing Happy Birthday but was willing to sing Frances' version of Happy Chompo To Me. For those who aren't familiar with Frances the badger, this version is what she sang at her sister's birthday party (until her conscience got the best of her). A Chompo is a candy bar and her gift to her sister.
Happy Chompo to me
Is how it ought to be.
Happy Chompo to Frances,
Happy Chomp to me.
Maybe I should be insulted, but I only find it charming. I love any hint that literature is memorable to my children. And for lovers of Frances (Dyanne), I enjoyed this article.

5. I received three new books from my sister and read The Fault in our Stars cover to cover in two days. It's a heartbreaker, that one, with a very compelling love story.

6. And extremely productive trip to the Op Shop where I scored the materials for a new jewelry organizer (thank you, Pinterest), a new lamp for Leo's room, and sundry other items. All for $13.50, thankyouverymuch.

7. I ate both pork belly and pig tails for the first time in my life. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I'd somehow missed out on those two. Verdict? Pork belly: dee-licious; pig tails: rubbery, bland, and skippable.

8. I have actually gotten Leo to nap three times this week. It has taken Herculean strength of purpose and the patience of something extremely patient (not Job, don't give me Job), but I have triumphed. I have won in a battle of wills with a twenty-two-month-old. I am a GODDESS!


9. I had a great catch-up phone conversation with an old friend this week. I have to amp myself up for phone calls; I get a rush of adrenaline from the pressure of being social, and then feel exhausted afterward. But it was a lovely conversation, full of catching up and planning their visit next summer! I also came out of the blog closet to her so maybe she'll read this and feel complimented.

10. Lizzi has waved her magic wand and appointed amycakeandthedude as the official clubhouse of the Green-Eyed Gang. Look for a post next week, and if you're a green-eyer, you should send me a pic so you can play along!


Your hosts

34 comments :

  1. Yay to a wonderful birthday and I read The Fault in Our Stars a few weeks ago. You are right heartbreaking, but just too good to put down. Saw the trailer for the movie and hope I can catch this one in theaters now when it does come out after having read the book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Janine! I stayed up until 2:30 one morning finishing it, though I knew I would regret that the next day. And I did.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you had a Happy Birthday! Lucky girl, to see and hear Glennon Doyle Melton! Should be a pretty awesome experience.
    I loved The Fault In Our Stars. I hesitated reading it for a long time but so glad I finally did.
    Pork belly and pig tails? I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'm just gonna take your word on the pork belly....egads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So excited!
      You should try pork belly! So delicious!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday and hurray for chocolate cake. I was quite surprised how yummy pork bellies were (always thing of Trading Places) but pig tails? I never knew that was an option. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, if you get a chance, don't feel bad about skipping them. But pork belly, yum-oh!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhh there's SO MUCH TO LOVE here.

    I'm sorry you had some bad news, and I hope that's all gonna be okay, but I'm glad you had a gorgeous birthday. With cake that you enjoy. And the Thai food sounds amazing. I luuuurve me some Thai food. Though I think I'd also skip the pig tails. (pork belly is old news. good eating.)

    ZED OH EM EFF GEE I am SOOOO insanely envious of you getting to go and hear Glennon speak. I LOVE Glennon and everything she has to say....ohhh WOW! Best birthday present EVER! Dude you're lucky lucky lucky! I...just...WOW! Glennon is pretty much one of the people I go consistently ridiculously utterly FanGirly for. That's only happened with about three other people whose writing I love. WOW! Ohhh I hope you enjoy EVERY SECOND of it.

    Can't think of anything else to say now I'm stuck in FanGirl mode! WOW!

    Okay. *shakes head and gets back in the game*

    Well done for your Herculean and SUCCESSFUL efforts to get Leo to sleep. Huge kudos to you. I've been there with kids in daycare and yes - you deserve the goddess title. Totally.

    AND YAY for the Green-Eyed Gang! I'm collecting pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, I am gonna FanGirl all over GDM. If she were Jesus, I would follow her. Is that sacrilegious? Instead, let me say that I think she has Jesus' teachings DOWN! She knows where it's at! I love that woman!

      But, seriously, how sweet is The Dude for arranging this whole thing? And this means the kids and I are away from him for ten whole days, and he still extended the trip so I could see GDM. Love that man!

      I was so hoping you would provide my creative simile for patience. Come on, Lizzi, I know you can do it.

      And thanks for collecting the photos. I realized I don't have the email addresses so I'm glad you're doing it.

      Delete
    2. I'm just waiting on Dyanne and Lisa - I have everyone else's.

      Hmmmm a simile for patience.

      As patient as:

      - an elephant on tranquilisers
      - the dead
      - the waiting ocean under the fourth moon of summer

      I have NO idea.

      FanGirl away - I am RIGHT THERE WITH YOU! The woman is. incredible.

      Ohmigosh, she added me back on twitter and I nearly DIED OF EXCITEMENT. In fact, we had a CONVERSATION on Twitter and I nearly died SIXTEEN TIMES of excitement. I love her HUGE. The Dude has my undying respect for this.

      Delete
    3. You tweeted with her! I am not suprised, you amazing woman! I'd get all fangirly if I got to meet you, too! But I am totally going to try to talk to her and then try to impress her by telling her I'm friends with Lizzi Rogers.

      Delete
  5. Isn't The Fault in Our Stars great?! But you're right- so sad. And chocolate cake in the morning??? love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate cake for breakfast, as Christine said last week! We finished it all up last night, though.

      Delete
  6. OK, first, happy birthday once again! Glad it was great!

    How is it that I suggested having a gang in the first place and you get to be the clubhouse??? Hmm??? Now I'll have to sulk at Lizzi. **sulk**

    Hooray for new books for you and for books that leave an impression on children. And I so hear you about getting a child to nap...although we have moved way past those years with Kidzilla, I'm afraid. It's exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sulk all through your TToT co-hosting, my dream job. I get to be the GEG clubhouse! Lizzi, ignore her sulking.

      What was that other book your recommended. I mean, I know I could look it up, but you could also just tell me again.

      Delete
    2. Im with lisa...I feel so left out...I suppose its the green eyed monster getting a grip on me...glad you had a great bday...you were so excited about it...so cool....and you won the bed time argument???? How in the world??!!

      Delete
    3. Bahahahaaaa...green-eyed monster. That's awesome, Zoe!

      Delete
    4. Sarah, you mean the kids book? It's The Day the Crayons Quit - Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers.

      Delete
    5. Sarah ran with it - you didn't! I need a photo of your greens, Lisa :P

      Delete
  7. A belated happy birthday, Sarah! And glad that it went swimmingly. It looks like a good week to be thankful for! Thanks for sharing with us too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I know late, but better that then never right? I spoke to an old old friend yesterday in Hawaii. She lives there, lucky duck. We've been friends since Junior High and I'm just praying my long distance plan will cover the call :) I'll have to pick up The Fault In Our Stars since I've heard so many great reviews about it. Have never had pork belly or pig tails but am willing to try the belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, did you ever start playing Ruzzle? I'm amycake76, but I don't play through facebook. That's my Ruzzle username.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to you. (the rhythm of the lyrics are forcing themselves in my head, can't figure out how to type them).

    Cake is not a bad thing to eat to celebrate being born. (sudden visual: ill-advised Surprise Birthday Party for newborn… in the delivery room of course, people jumping up screaming surprise…and all those weird-assed unravelling noisemaker things…. "SURPRISE!!!")

    I enjoyed reading your Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have quite the wonderful imagination. I like following you along.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear that you had a happy birthday! And thanks for the tips on pig tails and pork belly. I've done neither - but if the opportunity ever arises - I'm now better armed than I was!

    As for phone calls and catching up with friends - so nice. But I hear you on the sometimes feelings of needing to ramp up for these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? But it's good to do, and I am always glad I gave the energy to have the conversation.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful week you had! Happy Chompo to YOU! the best! xox jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate cake, Thai food, pork belly,& catching up w/ a friend? That right there is a good week. Also much kudos to you for getting the kiddo to nap. It's a task I dread every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I think we are making some progress! I think he is finally catching on the expectation that he stay in his bed!

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, winning nap time is something I am thankful for whenever it happens! Silly babies and their sleep resistance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right. I'd have been massively sad if you didn't share your birthday celebrations with me (and you remember that they last for the whole month right? that part is Important with a Cap I). YAY for chocolate cake, an unexpected new Thai food find, and presents!! PRESENTS!! I don't know who Glennon is but I think Lizzi has mentioned her before as being somebody she really loves and admires so I hope the show is wonderful. Even if it sucks, an extended vacation will be worth it!
    WHOOT to the snapping fingers lesson! Seriously that's HUGE. Tucker is four and can't snap. Crap. That means it's probably my fault for not teaching him when he was a baby, huh? Oh well. Because it's YOU, I'll forgive you for making me look bad. Plus, you know, your birthday 30-day celebration is still underway and all.
    Oh and The Fault in Our Stars? Magical. Sad magic, but total magic.
    My eyes are kindof green but I think more blue. So now I'm bummed I will miss out on your cool club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't know Glennon, you should. Get thee now to Momastery. Now.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!