Saturday, January 4, 2014

TToT6: Plodding into the New Year

I am dragging my feet into this new year. I missed the first FTSF, but I am determined to get my TToT in. It snowed three inches Thursday night, which for once, made the weather prediction in this area not a gross overstatement, but it has also made me house-bound because I do not drive in the snow. I'm starting to get cabin fever in spite of some outdoor time, and I feel like I have done nothing more than wipe two free-flowing noses since the clock chimed midnight on the first. When will they stop producing?!?!?!

But there are definite bright moments to the year so far:

1. And this should be 1-5, because it's that big. My persistent and resourceful husband scored me an early upgrade with Verizon, and I have a new phone! A new phone that has a screen I can read and that does not delete emails without my permission! If there is one thing I have learned being married to the Dude, it's what progress you can make with a company by never giving up and never letting your irritation show. He's like Tim Robbins and his library in The Shawshank Redemption.

2. The nonprofit organization that I volunteer for might foot some of the bill for said phone. Deleted emails from the executive board got their attention, I believe. This is especially welcome since buying the new phone bottoms out my discretionary account for the month, and I bought a new pair of shoes on clearance at DSW, and now I'm in the red. So long as they contribute $39.77, I'm OK.

3. More props to the Dude: I convinced him to tackle the enormous pile of teacher stuff in our basement. He was really not sure what to hold on to when we moved, but he's now ready to be brutal, and he managed to sort it all into keep for our kids, donate to other teachers, and recycle. He even motivated me to do the same with my old math teaching supplies, and though we presently have an enormous mess on our hands, one day that storage room is going to be so much better.  Unopened packs of dry-erase white boards belong in a teacher's classroom, not in a bin in our basement.

4. Related to that clean-out, we located our missing paper recycling bin that had accidentally been left by the collectors in a neighbor's yard.

5. Beth Tehilo, who nominated me for a Sunshine Award and wrote some really complimentary stuff. I've been blogging less than a year, and this sort of praise is really, really meaningful to me. I'm gonna follow through this week, and if you don't already read Writer B is Me, trot right on over to her blog and start laughing because she's funny as all get-out.

6. Lisa@The Meaning of Me, who feels like a real friend. We share book/blog recommendations (we love Z is for Moose, Lisa), and I was out-of-proportion tickled with her shout-out to me on her TToT.

7. OneWord365. I'm taking the plunge this year. I like the idea of a word rather than a resolution, and I have my word in mind. But the big reveal will take place in another post.

8. We have an additional freezer in our basement, and I love it. We got back into town on the 30th, and I have not yet had to go to the grocery store. I'm not saying a trip wouldn't help, but it's good we can survive without me having to drive in the snow. I would also like to thank Costco for insanely protracted expiration dates on their milk.

OK, struggling here...

9. My birthday is this month!

10. Community is back on TV and written by Dan Harmon, once again!


 Your hosts

39 comments :

  1. I LOVED Community. I wonder where it disappeared to. Finding out it's coming back and Downton Abbey tomorrow night is almost too much. And we've been cleaning and throwing out because we moved back into our house after a remodel. So therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so excited about DA tonight!

      Delete
  2. While I do drive in the snow, I'm thinking even I will be trapped once the current storm blows through. It sounds like it's going to be a doozy. It's a weird feeling, that I can't leave my house if I want/need? And I even LIKE staying home.
    I would love to be more like Tim Robbins. That is a skill, to stay calm and unemotional. And bravo for bringing in a Shawshank reference.
    Big clean-outs are such wonderful things to have done. They are work, but so worth it in the end.
    Beth and Lisa are awesome ladies. Glad you are making some good blogging friends. I never could have predicted the friends I'd make when I started blogging.
    I love our big freezer, too. There's always something to eat.
    I used to enjoy Community, but then it got weird. Hopefully the old writer will help it get back to being just funny.
    Hope those runny noses clear up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I always liked Community because it was rather weird. But I never watched any of Season Three, and you may be talking about that.

      Delete
    2. Aw, thanks Christine! You are awesome, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Your #1 DEFINITELY counts as five. And Happy Birthday Month To You :D

    (also, you're NOT LATE! This is the first of 2014. So there ;) )

    I think I'd like to award the Dude a big ol' medal for all his wonderfulness to you. What a star. I've no doubt at all that you've done lots of good things as well, but hey, I'll join in your celebration of the amazing things he's done. I'm all for that.

    YAY NEW PHONE! Ohmigosh I am SO WITH YOU THERE! I got a new phone two days after Christmas because my second-hand, previously-thrown-at-a-wall-and-mended, old-anyway phone was SO BAD. It would not. do. anything. It was an UNsmart phone and drove me continually nuts. My new one is a wonder and a joy. I'm so glad you have this, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the phone is not totally in place yet. I can't seem to receive my gmail emails on it, and I'm not sure what I need to do to start getting phone calls on it and texts. Trip to Verizon tomorrow. WIsh me luck!

      Delete
    2. I get them twice over. And I cannot figure that out AT ALL!

      Hope yours is sorted now...

      Delete
    3. Actually, yes. Got talked down to by the Verizon rep, but it's all sorted. Willing to pay that price.

      Delete
  4. I love my iPhone. It's my preciousssss. Enjoy your new phone!
    I still have teaching materials in my parents' basement from when I taught in the early to mid-80s. Which means they are for use on a mimeograph machine, rendering them utterly useless.
    I have a chest deep freeze in my basement that's big enough to hide a body in, not that anyone's tried. I don't know what I'd do without it! I also have a side-by-side fridge down there (because it didn't fit in the hole in the kitchen for a fridge). Keep all my flour and baking mixes and rice and dried beans and stuff in there so it doesn't get buggy. Because buggy is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (you do have dead hamsters in the freezer though, doncha. Technically they're 'bodies')

      Delete
    2. Is a mimeograph machine a ditto machine? The kind that makes purple copies? Super idea for an extra fridge. We had a mini-one that held sodas and beer, but that died last month. Boo.

      Delete
    3. Why does Dyanne have hamster bodies in her freezer?

      Delete
    4. Because they're waiting to be buried at the family pet burial ground which is Elsewhere. So the hamsters stay in the freezer because they keep forgetting to take them and bury them each time they go to the Elsewhere. Or something like that.

      Freaky, non?

      Delete
  5. Dying to know your *word* for the year. DYING. Can't wait for your next post! And hurray for hubbies that clean out the garage! We did that, too. The whole house and the garage. Freaking awesome! I feel brand new. :)

    Happy Birthday to YOU. Lots of my friends (and my mother) have bdays this month.

    The new phone is totally worth 5!! So So exciting (I typed sexciting at first....Freudian slip? LOL

    And thank you for the shout out on this post! Totally unexpected and so sweet. I'm so glad you're excited about the award. You SO deserve it! I hope tons more people find your blog through the post cuz you're awesomesauce! I love how awards are great connectors of new blogs. I found lots of great bloggers through nominee lists I was on. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to check out the other nominees. Kids are in bed so I'm about to get going.

      Delete
  6. Okay, just re-read my comment and noticed I used "so" like a hundred times in that last paragraph. DUH. What a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful list and so happy you got a new phone, that your company might even help pay for. Truly awesome and also congrats on the Sunshine award, too! And also hoping you have a great rest of the weekend, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay new phone! Like Dyanne, I LOVE my IPhone, but it eats my notes for some reason (many an awesome blog idea just Poof! gone) I'm only about half-way through the contract though, so I think I'll just let it be.

    But awesome that the org you volunteer for might help cover some of the costs. Isn't it wonderful when you find a good organization to volunteer with? I've done a lot of volunteering, and it takes some searching, but when you find them, it's gold.

    Best for the new year!

    Louise (PS: Beth and her blog are awesome. Congrats on the Sunshine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not working now, but I volunteer in my chosen field so I'm also glad to sort of keep my name circulating. It's a good group of people, and I've been happy to serve. But I also don't mind if they want to help with my new IPHONE 5S! SO excited!

      Delete
  9. Like Dyanne, I love the smell of mimeograph ink in the morning (what? she didn't say that?)… but there is that, 'Mr Farley go to the Principles Office this instant smell-memory I get when I encounter that aroma.

    This, as Lizzi astutely notes, is the first of the TToT(ae) of 2014 so you are totally on pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, did you have to go to the principal's office because you smelled the ink? Or had you done something else?

      Delete
  10. Yay for your birthday! I love being able to shot out awesome blog friends in my posts! You did great. I know you didn't think you could come up with 10 but you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now happy birthday in advance!!! How great to start the year off like that. And I'm quite a techie too, so I'm always thankful for phones and other cool gadgets! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never watched Community but it sounds like I need to check it out. Yay for a new phone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Community is hilarious! But, I've found that it's enjoyable most to pop culture savvy people of my generation. Is that you?

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday month! Kudos to you for tackling clutter in the basement. I have big dreams of venturing into the mess that is my attic and sorting through the boxes there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, kudos to the Dude who was the catalyst. Or me telling him I'd really like him to do it was the catalyst.

      Delete
  14. I am happy to know that so many here are old enough to know what mimeo ink smells like. And how wonderful that smell really is. :)

    Amy, thanks for the sweet friend thing. I started giggling and thinking about Pinocchio being a real boy. :) So glad you love Z is for Moose - did I not tell you that was awesome? It's awesome. Cracks me up.

    Hooray for de-cluttering - I'm working on that, too! So far, I'm really making a dent. If I can keep it up faithfully (even my little fifteen minutes promise) for the entire month, our house should look a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bugger - I called you Amy. I do that in my head because of the Amycake thing in your blog title. Yeah, real friends don't do that kind of crap. Oh, wait, yes they do...my BFF of fifteen years has a birthday in April. But I have no idea what actual day - I know it's one of two days, but I never get it right. Or if I do, I second-guess myself and then I get it wrong. But she still loves me. :)

      Delete
    2. I get that a lot. It's confusing. I'll clarify soon.

      Delete
  15. Happy Birthday soon! And yea to a new phone, woo hoo! We did a little cleaning and sorting this past week, it felt really good, and has me wanting to do some more!
    Clean 'er out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy happy birthday almost! Also? I hear you about the snow/home. School started again today after winter break but is already cancelled tomorrow. GAH. I mean YAY I get to spend more time :)
    Tackling stuff in the basement is HUGE!!! I need to do that. Big. UGH! Dangit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got cancelled because of the cold? We had school, though it is insanely cold. I've got the furnace, the fireplace, and space heaters going, and I'm still cold. Drafty house.
      Hey, are you cast-free?!?!?!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!