But there are definite bright moments to the year so far:
1. And this should be 1-5, because it's that big. My persistent and resourceful husband scored me an early upgrade with Verizon, and I have a new phone! A new phone that has a screen I can read and that does not delete emails without my permission! If there is one thing I have learned being married to the Dude, it's what progress you can make with a company by never giving up and never letting your irritation show. He's like Tim Robbins and his library in The Shawshank Redemption.
2. The nonprofit organization that I volunteer for might foot some of the bill for said phone. Deleted emails from the executive board got their attention, I believe. This is especially welcome since buying the new phone bottoms out my discretionary account for the month, and I bought a new pair of shoes on clearance at DSW, and now I'm in the red. So long as they contribute $39.77, I'm OK.
3. More props to the Dude: I convinced him to tackle the enormous pile of teacher stuff in our basement. He was really not sure what to hold on to when we moved, but he's now ready to be brutal, and he managed to sort it all into keep for our kids, donate to other teachers, and recycle. He even motivated me to do the same with my old math teaching supplies, and though we presently have an enormous mess on our hands, one day that storage room is going to be so much better. Unopened packs of dry-erase white boards belong in a teacher's classroom, not in a bin in our basement.
4. Related to that clean-out, we located our missing paper recycling bin that had accidentally been left by the collectors in a neighbor's yard.
5. Beth Tehilo, who nominated me for a Sunshine Award and wrote some really complimentary stuff. I've been blogging less than a year, and this sort of praise is really, really meaningful to me. I'm gonna follow through this week, and if you don't already read Writer B is Me, trot right on over to her blog and start laughing because she's funny as all get-out.
6. Lisa@The Meaning of Me, who feels like a real friend. We share book/blog recommendations (we love Z is for Moose, Lisa), and I was out-of-proportion tickled with her shout-out to me on her TToT.
7. OneWord365. I'm taking the plunge this year. I like the idea of a word rather than a resolution, and I have my word in mind. But the big reveal will take place in another post.
8. We have an additional freezer in our basement, and I love it. We got back into town on the 30th, and I have not yet had to go to the grocery store. I'm not saying a trip wouldn't help, but it's good we can survive without me having to drive in the snow. I would also like to thank Costco for insanely protracted expiration dates on their milk.
OK, struggling here...
9. My birthday is this month!
10. Community is back on TV and written by Dan Harmon, once again!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, Home On Deranged, I can say mama, I Want Backsies, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine