Saturday, January 18, 2014

TToT9: What? More Thankful?

I can't believe it either. I'm actually so thankful I'm back for another post this weekend. I have entered the realms of those who link-up twice.

But, seriously, it's been a good week. Remember how blah I was last week? So much better this week, and with good reason.

1. This Thoreau quote I found on Christine's post, which means you probably already read it. But it's really quite wonderful, and I think I need to post it somewhere near my desk.

I am grateful for what I am and have. 
My thanksgiving is perpetual... 
O how I laugh when I think of my vague indefinite riches. 
No run on my bank can drain it 
for my wealth is not possession but enjoyment.

For the whole quote, read here. I especially like the part about is charred extremities and intellect. Lizzi chars my intellect with her vocabulary.
2. This morning I slept in. I needed it. Real. Bad. I had gotten into a bad habit of staying up late watching TV and building a mountainous pile of clean laundry to fold. Still must tackle that laundry. But, at least now I am rested.

3. We ate out for breakfast AND supper. This never happens. I can't think of a time in my life where I have eaten out for two meals in one day (unless I was traveling). In fact, we very, very seldom eat out even once a day. So, thanks to two Groupons expiring, I did no dishes today. And Maggie ate chocolate chip pancakes twice. Oh dear, did I admit that?

4. My first For The Makers box arrived this week! My mother and sister bought me a three month subscription, and I believe I have mentioned how exciting a surprise box is for me. It can be filled with vegetables, and I get excited. But in this box, I received the supplies to make a necklace, a bracelet, a notebook cover, and a small bowl. All materials included; instructions online. Don't worry; I'll post about it.

5. I discovered last week that the rain boots we gave Maggie for her birthday last year (March) are two different sizes. I just figured this out. She's been wearing them for ten months. So, I hied myself to the Stephen Joseph website and sent an email and picture. The customer service, Becca in particular, was INCREDIBLE. No matter that it had been ten months, they are sending a whole new pair, no fuss to it. I swore I would brag about them on my blog. Anyone looking for rain boots or other cutesy kid apparel should bring their money to Stephen Joseph.

6. Speaking of money, I just happened to stop by my consignment store this week, and upon inquiry, discovered I have over $100 in credit! Woohoo! And now I have a new pair of Paige velvet jeans and a black pencil skirt. I love clothes, and I love new clothes (at least to me). This makes me unutterably happy (well, clearly not unutterably).

7. Maggie had an appointment with her geneticist this week. And I love him. Not only for lines like, "I'm not worried about her cognitively," made in passing, but for the amazing connections he has. I left with a wealth of information on services in the area and such a wonderful feeling of knowing he wants me to email him when I have concerns about her anxiety or her IEP or whatever, and he will be able to put me in touch with the providers who can help (forgive the run-on sentence).

8. I picked Maggie up a little early from school on Friday, and her teacher was eager to talk to me. She had just done a kindergarten readiness assessment on Maggie, and she had made progress since November, even scoring 4/6 on the rhyming questions! PLUS, she had made a friend on the playground and even spent extended time playing with her. Not next to her, and admittedly, not initiating, but extended playing with. Rhyming and a friend! What news!

9. I am really enjoying my one-on-one time with Maggie these days. We went out shopping for a birthday present for our neighbor today. I asked Maggie what we should get Sophi, and she confidently pronounced, "A Max and Ruby book." So off we went to the bookstore and then home again to wrap it and make a card. Using glitter glue of course. Nothing is finished until mounds of glitter glue have been applied.

10. Finally, this one is minor but huge. Twice this week, Maggie and Leo have played together in one of their rooms. Nothing is sweeter than hearing their sweet uncontrolled giggles in harmony. Now, there were screams, but they usually didn't last long. (And if they did, it was because Leo had closed his fingers in a drawer or a bulldozer drop flap.) The other day, I finished my dinner prep, and they seemed happy, so I sat down and read.a.magazine. Yes, you read that right. My children were awake, and I read a magazine in relative quiet. It was phenomenal. No hyperbole.

And, because I don't post without a picture of my kids...



23 comments :

  1. I saw that Thoreau - he is my all time favorite love. My college copy of his essays is well-loved.

    We slept a bit late today, too, and then the rest of the morning was spent in preparation for Kidzilla's friend's birthday party this afternoon. I think I was way on edge...will she do OK? Will she be nervous? Fit in? Have a good time? She was fine and had a blast, of course. But oh wow this social stuff is hard!

    Seven and eight - amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, birthday parties this weekend! Not sure ours went as well, but we are home and I am decompressing. Whew!
      I know, 7 and 8. Still on a high.

      Delete
  2. Watching your kid do something new and spectacular is not only a relief but a huge gift as well...and a cool doc? In my book is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry --typo. what I said was , Well I am really happy I read this! Thanks, jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very VERY cool that Maggie and Leo are learning to play together and give you some space to read and RELAX. And WAY TO GO MAGGIE! It sounds like not only is she on target, but doing really, really well. Huzzah!

    I hope I don't char your intellect too much, my friend - yours is pretty formidable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I consider it a compliment. I am all set to try out perspicacity and immolate this week. Have to find the right moment.
      Huzzah for Maggie is right! It takes a Brit to say it.

      Delete
  6. Oh! Your closing photo melted my heart! Make a copy for each of them and present them on Christmas twenty years from now, they will be keepsakes forever! Yes, I do remember the amazement and delight of children spending time together without the need for earplugs or first-aid kits... a mom wow-moment for sure... enjoy! I loved the upbeat tone of this list, I leave smiling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You leave great comments, Josie. Great idea for that photo!

      Delete
  7. Hot dog, two TTOT posts in one weekend!!

    As a parent, I love it when teachers are eager to tell me about new, wonderful things my child has done. As a teacher, I love telling the parents about a new, wonderful thing a student has done. I'm so glad you were able to get such good news from Maggie's teacher.

    It is so nice to have kids who finally play together without a mom referee. Funny how sitting down to read a magazine become such a luxury. Good for you, actually sitting down to do it.

    Out to eat for breakfast and dinner?!?! Now that IS luxury!

    Hope this week is just as good as last week for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much fun to be had on the opposite side of the parent-teacher relationship. Hearing good news is one upside. IEP meetings are not. I think I became a better communicator as a teacher once I had kids.

      Delete
  8. ("mmmmm charred intellect"*)
    Second TToT, damn! you know, of course, that gives you talk a free pass for the 7 GuardVirgins, who in-turn, are a collective (and kinda hot) heartbeat away from the Book of Secret Rules

    Just thought I'd get that out there…welcome to the Twice in a Weekend Post Club!**

    *do your own Homer Simpson audio
    ** not a 'real' Club… yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, I did read that first line in a Homer Simpson voice. Glad we were on the same page with that one.

      Wow, I'm excited to have been given some clues as to how to get to the Book of Secret Rules. Now I just need to pay closer attention to the rules. Does this mean I can get away with fewer than ten things?

      Delete
  9. So many wonderful thankfuls here! Sleep, chocolate-chip pancakes, a good company, a great resource, a child progressing, and siblings as friends--WOW! What a happy list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good week. Thanks so much for the comment!

      Delete
  10. Batching up today! (blog catching up. Yeah. I made it up). Loving that quote HARD. It's lovely. Think I'm gonna copy it and put it somewhere. Great list! Extra sleep, "me" time reading, sibling love, good news from a teacher...WOW.

    Adore the Stuart Little photos of Dude. hahaha! Awesomesauce.

    Uhm.....that cabbage was HUGE. Holy cow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was some pretty exceptional batching. Three posts in one comment! Hope you're well, Bethie.

      Delete
  11. Oh, that picture is marvelous! I love the pictures I have of my kids walking away from me like that. So sweet!
    Fantastic news on the kindergarten readiness assessment! And your healthcare provider sounds wonderful as well.
    And the boot replacement is just too cool, although it's pretty funny how long it took you to notice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like my last TToT posts do not demonstrate my strengths as a mother. Mismatched shoes for ten months? Who doesn't notice that?

      Delete
  12. When they play WITH somebody and not just next to them? OMG huge huge news, friend. Also the sleeping in. Sleeping in is big big. My hubs lets me do so almost every weekend (of course I mess it up by staying up until 2 or 3 am knowing I can sleep until 10 but still! 10 is 10!). That's awesome about the boots. I was similar here...had purchased some new ones and forgotten about them as last winter was so mild. I went looking now and they're too small :( because hello kid growth in a year. I plan to exchange them and hope this local store is as cool as your boot provider!
    AND OMG Eating Out??? the. best. ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all this enthusiasm, Kristi! That news from school really is SO wonderful!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!