Saturday, February 8, 2014

TToT 12: Benefical Genetic Mutation (AKA, Green Eyes)

The Background:

Some time ago, Beth Tehilo, while receiving a Sunshine Award, mentioned she had green eyes. She passed the award on to me, and though I failed to mention my eye color (it's green) you can see it in my captivating video. Then, I passed the award on to Lisa and Lizzi, who both mentioned they have green eyes.

Now, truly green eyes are not that common, and if you've got them you carry around a certain amount of pride (1) (the more honest call it vanity). So, it was no surprise that a few more green-eyed ladies came out of the woodwork. And with them, they brought fine gifts. There's a green-eyed lady song (2) and a drink (3).

So get ready to crank up the youtube and pour yourself some pineapple rum (actually, I'll stick to bourbon). But first, The Science Lesson:

I did a little green-eye-googling to flesh out this post, and guess what I discovered? Recently the Mendelian recessive trait has been disproven. What we were taught in school about eye color before 2007 was not correct.

WHAT?!?!? I knew when Pluto was downgraded from proper planet status, but this? I never really got the hang of that big R, little r business in the first place, so really it's a huge relief (4). It turns out eye color is determined by genetic mutation, "which could be beneficial or nonbeneficial." You can read more by following the link above. It's really rather interesting. In another link I discovered only 2% of the population is truly green-eyed. So, indeed we are rare, beautiful birds (5). Beneficial ones, too.

Now, turn on that song and pour your drink because it's time for The PAR-TAY!

I was chosen to be the hostess of the gang (6), and as hostess, I've decided we will play a game (7). It won't be too hard since some of these ladies have already posted their pictures in a post, but we'll have some fun. Whoever can identify them all correctly first wins a prize! I don't know what that prize will be, but it will definitely be something super cool!

The members of the gang are Angela, Beth, Dyanne, Kari, Kristi(2), Lisa, Lizzi, Rebecca, Sarah (me), and Yvonne (8 and 9 because I'm thankful for the gang but also the members I didn't already know).

I'll post their numbered pictures below, and your job is to guess who's who in a timely manner. Then, if you're first to get them all right, I'll send you the supercool prize!

So, without further eloquence (without further eloquence), the game is afoot! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

1.


 2.


 3.


 4.


5.


6.


7.



8.



9.



10.


Green-eyers can participate too (even though they have a distinct advantage). That's the advantage of being a member of the club! But don't wait to watch their answers or you may miss out!

Hmmm...#10. All those who comment in addition to posting their guesses.

Your hosts

52 comments :

  1. I had the 45 "Green Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf and I think I wore it out. I was dating a guy with green eyes at the time and .... well anyways let's just leave it there in the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suck at this game! I'm not even sure I got MINE right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's soooo funny cuz I couldn't decide on yours at all! HA!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your entry, Dyanne! Come on, Zoe, you can do it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Even though I know the answers? Cos I got the submissions off everyone? In which case I submit my list as automatically scoring 10/10 ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, yeah, there's that. Don't participate.

      Delete
  4. I've been working on this for an hour. Is that pathetic?
    1. Rebecca 2. Yvonne 3. Beth 4. Dyanne 5. Sarah 6. Kristi 7. Lisa 8. Lizzi 9. Kari 10. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to come back cuz I cant decide between two eyes... well four eyes...no two eyes....Im soooo confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give you a hint, Zoe. Mine are the green ones....

      Delete
    2. Ahhh you can do this! And it would be SO much easier if you were on FB and had friended these people and could check their profiles...

      Delete
  6. I don't know but I think Lizzi is 2. and you are 3. My son Dylan has green eyes. and my son Ian has light green eyes.
    and I have eyes which no One, EVER, EXCEPT one occupational therapist who was coming on to me (and even I was able to figure it out and I am hopeless at stuff like that) has ever remarked upon, in any way, except the opthalmalogist who could not believe I let my cataract get SO BAD, But then he fixed it! What do I win? jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dyannes are 4 because I just read her answer

    ReplyDelete
  8. who is the person giving the prize away? SHE HAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL EYES! I was just saying to myself...wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that would be me. Thank you! But do you really know which eyes are mine? I'll say this: I think #10 has the best eyelashes. Would love me a set of those.

      Delete
    2. #10 cheated and wore makeup ;)

      Delete
    3. Is that cheating? I definitely have on make-up. You've seen the bags without so you know it was needed.

      Delete
    4. Not cheating. I just have sour grapes about it cos I didn't think of making my eyes beautiful first...

      Delete
    5. Girl, your eyes are beautiful without! You must get plenty of sleep or something.

      Delete
    6. Are you kidding? I get the least sleep out of everyone here, I betcha!

      Delete
    7. I could probably give you a run for your money there...

      Delete
  9. Okay! I've been trying way too long. I can only figure out four of them...I need cake! It's just too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake! Cake makes everything better. But you skipped on the red velvet, right?

      Delete
  10. Well, I have no idea on whose green eyes match, but I do want to say that they are all beautiful and I'm jealous since I have basic blue eyes. And that wouldn't be so bad if my eyes were a brilliant or swimming pool or bedroom blue. But they are kinda boring blue. My husband used to have the most gorgeous blue eyes and I wouldn't killed for them (well, not really), but when our son was a baby, a tennis ball hit him square in the eye during a match. It paralyzed his eye and he now has a deformed/odd-shaped black eyeball. He can see fine, but he was a teacher and kids always commented on his eyeball. Sometimes people think he is on drugs. But it only affects one eye! Happy wee end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Students always comment on physical features. It's the downside of getting their attention. What an unusual accident!

      Delete
  11. So not playing, because I suck royally at this game, but will say I am now thoroughly jealous of these gorgeous green ones, when all I have are (as my husband calls them) muddy brown eyes, lol!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and daughter have brown eyes, but I think they're really beautiful!

      Delete
  12. This makes my head hurt tonight because here's all I can come up with:
    1. green 2. green 3. green 4. green 5. green 6. green 7. green 8. green 9. green 10. green
    I shall think on this tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know you know one of them.

      Delete
    2. OK, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, but I'm sending you my guess.

      Delete
  13. two words:

    damn!

    (lol… speaking for those of us from Y Chrome-ville, I will say having any of the above gazing intently in my eyes would be worth waiting whatever length of time for….)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Phyllis know you're writing this? :)

      Delete
  14. Well, I think I got my own eyes. And Dyanne is clearly number 4 and Lizzi 8. You could be 5. But after that I have no clue! So I don't think I will win, but it's cool to be in the Green eyed gang!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are Yvonne's number 1? Lizzi number 8? And umm...I don't know. This is hard. Y'all have pretty eyes though. Mine are brown, brown, boring brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown can be very pretty, though.

      Delete
    2. Brown eyes can be GORGEOUS! Some of my favourite eyes are brown eyes.

      Delete
  16. Great Googly Moogly, I have no idea. That is HARD to do! I will simply say, everyone has beautiful eyes.
    I read the same thing you did about green eyes, doing a bit of research, as my kids keep doing science projects having to do with eye color. A scientist friend of mine made the comment that there was really no such thing as a green-eyed gene. At my age, I don't know if I can relearn all those laws of genes I learned back in the day. The 4-square diagram makes perfect sense to me, and I'm sticking with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about. Four square diagram? I'm sticking with the genetic mutation. That makes sense to me.

      Delete
  17. THIS IS HARD!!!! I love that you did this post - haha! Awesome. I'm in a gang! Yippppeeee!

    So I recognize Lizzi's immediately. She has such perfectly round eyes and very arched brows. Easy to spot. She's #8. And of course I know mine, #3. I thing Dyanne is #4. You are #5, yes? Ummmm.....could Kari be #1? Gooooosh I don't know the other girls. It's a total toss up. Well, I certainly didn't win!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, where was I when this posted? So sorry to have missed the game, but fortunately, as a green-eyed mutant, life continues to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just don't know!!! Too bad you missed out on the game!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!