Thursday, March 6, 2014

Handsome Man

We call Leo our handsome man. I'm not sure where that started, other than the irony of calling a very small boy a man is amusing to me. At Maggie's Valentine's Day party (at the end of the month since the first was cancelled due to snow), the teachers went on and one about how cute Leo was. Maggie corrected them. "He's handsome!"

Leo, my baby boy, you a two today, and your last year has been remarkably steady considering your tumultuous days first year and days in utero. I still marvel at your good nature and your flexibility considering the rocky start you had in life. Daddy is increasingly your favorite person in the world with Maggie coming in second and me a distant third. But I know this game now. You'll come back. I may have to wait a few years, but you'll honor me with your affection again someday. And when there is no one else or all through the day, there is Purple Hippo, your great love.

I sure do love your sweet face. You got a whole lot of me in it, after all. You've got the prominent Boyd eyes and the prominent Summerlin jaw. It's those features that prompt people, like the man at the service station two days ago, to say, "You look like your mama!" But the truth is, your face shape and your body you got from your daddy. You seem very delicate in bone structure, and those petite genes can only come through Daddy's side.

But you're muscular and you climb up and down the stairs with Mr. Purple Hippo in tow with ease. Your favorite toy is a ball, and you are surprisingly good and throwing for someone your age (says your indulgent and ignorant mother). Running is great fun. Especially downhill when you can really get some momentum. But you hate to swing.

You haven't yet learned to turn doorknobs, and for that, we are grateful. You are most certainly in to everything. We keep the glassware cabinet locked up, and just yesterday morning I had to shoo you away from broken glass after you shattered a picture frame. You know how to set up the kitchen stepstool, and you are very curious as to what I do in there, going so far as to learn the concept hot through experience when words were not convincing enough. You know now.

I don't know if it's birth order, gender, or personality, but if Maggie is our good girl, and you are our mischief maker. You know very well what you're supposed to do, but you prefer to give us a big grin and do the opposite. Always the big grin. Once I caught you signing more clear as day when you
thought I wasn't looking. When I called you on it, I got the grin. We'd been trying to get you to sign for months and you just enjoyed watching us dance.

So young to know how to push buttons. You certainly know where mine are, but you love Maggie's best of all. If you're not getting the attention you want from her, you can send her into hysterics in 30 seconds.When you're not getting enough attention from Daddy or me, you start working through rules to break until we are fully engaged. It's an effective plan, I'll give you that.

You're still not much of a talker. Ball was your first word, maybe around 14 months(?), but we don't hear it anymore. Lately we've gotten a little more talking, though. The littlest piggie says wee, wee, wee. And when we lie in your bed together you point to and name the fish (hsh) on your mobile. I thought maybe I heard more the other day and sometimes I think you're trying to say baby. Jury's still out on Mama; could be or could just be what you say for "Give me some of that." You most certainly know how to shake your head.

Despite that, your language comprehension is excellent. You clearly take delight in following some directions like, "Find me your socks and shoes," because that means we're going somewhere. I need hardly to mention them and you're off to your bedroom, hair bouncing along with your sweet little highstep. Any mention of Daddy makes your eyes light up, but you can follow even two-step instructions at times.

You love to have us name nouns for you. Colors, letters, shapes, animals. You want to know it all. The purpose of book reading is not to hear the story; the purpose is to point and hear the names of each item on each page. You also love to point out people and objects in photos and have them named. Mama, Aunt Beth, Nona, Papa, Papa's wine glass, Uncle Sam. Papa, Grandma, Mama, flowers, Daddy, Aunt Beth. We run through those name (from those two photos) multiple times a day.

You are my picky, picky eater. You'd live on bread and bananas if I'd let you, though I've trained you well enough that you scorn white bread. Salty pork makes the cut sometimes and you're usually open to fruit. Vegetables are right out. No meal is complete without a good, solid mess made and whatever food items beneath your notice splattered on the floor below you.

But you're still my snuggle boy. You like a little snuggle time when you first wake up, and you're sometimes a good sport about lying together in bed. Cuddle up, insert two middle fingers in your mouth, and you are content for a good while. Your interest in those two fingers is not lessening, and I don't care. They bring you comfort, and they are omnipresent (if often filthy).

Happy, happy birthday to my Wonder Boy, my Handsome Man, my Favorite Boy in All the World!



18 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday to your baby boy! What a handsome little devil! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Charlie and Miles will deliver your message!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to your handsome man! Reading this brought back memories of my son when he was two. Ball was his first word too, and he was a snuggler. I'm happy to say that he is still affectionate at age 12 1/2, and I make sure I never turn down one of his hugs. I hope Leo stays that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hope, Dana! I'd love that!

      Delete
  4. Aw, happy happy birthday Leo. You are one handsome dude and I love love love that you sometimes lie in bed with mom in the morning. My son does that too, and it's one of my very most hugest favorite things.
    I love this, Sarah. One of Tucker's first words was ball, too, and he still will give The Grin before doing something bad. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, when I was pregnant with Leo I wasn't that excited about having a boy, but now I LOVE having a boy that is dirty and stinky and love playing with balls (ha!).

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your Leo, Sarah! He is one sweet dude! I also come in third for my - also extremely mischievous table top climbing - younger son, but I love how you put it, they'll be back in a few years time, or perhaps sooner and we will patiently wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what a mama does, huh? She'll wait as long as it takes.
      My daughter went through this, this Daddy favoritism, but I've got some of her affection back now.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous!!! Happy birthday to your boy! My son is my youngest, and he is my snuggler, but also my mischief maker… and I just love the name Leo (mine's named Liam… they might be connected :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liam's a great name, too. Is it short for William? I love full names with a nickname, but I wasn't moved by Leon or Leonardo, so he's just Leo.

      Delete
  7. Happy happy (belated now!) birthday to your gorgeous little man, Sarah! What a precious gift you have given him with this blog post, that he'll be able to read in years to come. He is just adorable in the photos and how awesome that you have been teaching him to sign! I bought a book and a DVD when my daughter was 2 months and fully intended to teach her how, then I started blogging and somehow forgot all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lizzy! That's my goal, anyway, and to record some memories of the time since I am miserably bad at any kind of journaling/scrapbooking for my babies.

      Delete
  8. Again, a happy birthday to both of you. That is about the most adorably devilish smile I've ever seen on a young man. Watch out for this guy! And I LOVE the stinking lobster PJs - WHERE did you get those???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you do! My in-laws got them for them since they're a lobster family, too. Maybe Cape Cod? I'm sort of embarrassed about how stained they are, but Leo wouldn't wear a bib so...

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!