Saturday, March 1, 2014

TToT15: I HAVE NO PENCILS!

I went to this thing this week where the speaker was talking about being resourceful. His analogy for feeling resourceful is how you would respond if someone asked you to borrow a pencil. A well-rested person, one who, perhaps, just returned from a relaxing vacation, might say, "Of course! I have a whole drawer full of pencils! Take as many as you need!" Whereas, a stressed person might respond, "Well, you can borrow this one, but it's my only one, and please be careful not to break it." I sat there and thought, "What would my response be? Am I feeling resourceful?" And it hit me like a ton of brick:
I have no pencils!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are you asking me?!?!?!?!?! Leave me alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I would say, not so resourceful. Should I buy what the man was selling?

This week has been a lot of the typical stress of returning from a long trip along with a lot of other stressors that just showed up for the party. All culminating in losing my wedding ring. It is simply gone. I have no memory of taking it off or where I left it. But if I had to place a bet, I'd say I left it on too low of a surface and our small magpie found and and made off it with it. He could have thrown it away or hidden it in a crevice. He could have eaten it, but I haven't seen it, and since he wears cloth diapers, the...contents...go down the toilet. So, a really bad climax to a really bad week.

So after whinging to Lizzi in the comments section of her post, I'm putting on my big girl panties, as they say, and scrounging up a little gratitude. 







Hmmmm....









This week has really sucked.








OK,

1.  Everyone in the house slept in this morning. I heard fussing around...sometime early...prayed it would stop, and it did. And I got more sleep. When I finally worked my way downstairs around 9:00, the kids were just barely waking up.

2. The Dude and I actually had a date this week! How'd I forget that one? It was a wedding ring-less one (he lost his, too, several months ago (what is wrong with us?)), but it was a date. We met some friends for drinks, friends we don't see often enough. They live on the south side of our Grand Capitol, whereas we live on the north side, but when we get together we spend the entire time laughing and then asking why we don't get together more often.
Then, The Dude and I saw Inside Llewyn Davis. I'm a pretty loyal Cohen Bros. fan, but I'd heard mixed reviews of this film so I went in with pretty low expectations. And I really enjoyed it! Not their best, but still very good. Whereas a lot of people described the main character as unlikeable, I actually kind of liked him (what does that say about me?). Granted, he did act like an asshole a lot of the time, but he was in a bad place. I felt sympathetic.

3. The paronychia of my left big toe is healing. (This one's really gross; feel free to skip.)
 Hello, my name is Sarah, and I practice aggressive nail maintenance. Especially when I am stressed. And then bring paronychia upon myself.
I dealt with the infection almost all through my trip to TX and was barely hobbling around by the time I got home in spite of regular soaks in salt water and regular use of antibiotic cream. You know what did the trick? I stubbed it on some toy littering the floor and that "released the fluid." Not only that, but my screams woke the neighbors. A later visit to the doctor confirmed the toe was healing (finally), and the doctor kindly lanced my toe further.



4. This little clip, a trailer for Frozen. I know everyone on the planet has seen Frozen except me (though I pretty much know the song Let It Go by heart now since the two people in my family who did see the movie love the song). This clip never ceases to make me laugh, and it brings out the most enchanting giggle in my daughter. I'd watch it just to hear her laugh.

5. I hereby invoke the Secret Book of Rules (Book of Secret Rules) chapter about those who very seldom invoke the SBR (BSR), even when given explicit permission by Clark, and skip one of my thankfuls.

6. I had an extremely productive date with amazon.com last night and might just have completed all the birthday shopping for the two big birthdays approaching early this month (see more this week). A load off!

7. I dropped off three bags of clothes at consignment shops this week so I am hoping those yield reasonable credit at said shops when it comes to buying spring clothes for the chillun. But, I also sorted through the hand-me-downs we already have on hand, and their wardrobes are already looking pretty good. This is a comfortable place to be.

8. Our beloved pediatrician is moving to Boston, which breaks my heart and makes me extremely angry at her for being so inconsiderate of our needs (how dare she live her own life!). I was feeling frustrated and overwhelmed at the prospect of finding a new pediatrician I love, but then I got three recommendations within a few hours, and one sounds like just the kinda hippie doctor I love. Yay, yay!

9. Points to the Dude for hearing my analogy about not having pencils and stepping it up in the Dishwasher Unloading and Breakfast Preparing Departments and double-checking with me when he needs to go to his parents' to set up his father's computer and be fed classy take-out.

10. And now I'm handing in my Skip A Thankful Reward Card I received with my first use of the Secret Book of Rules (Book of Secret Rules) for being a seldom-use customer.

If you made it through this whinge-fest, I am impressed. How was your week?  

36 comments :

  1. That pencil story? I get it. It has been a pencil-less time in my life, too.

    I've seen Frozen. It is amazing. And that clip always makes me smile.

    Sorry to hear about the wedding ring. That sucks. I hope you are able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedding ring is the worst part. And thanks for understanding about my lack of pencils! At least we have Frozen.

      Delete
  2. Right. Proper, Actual Comment.

    You got to Ten, you li'l whingebag, so there's THAT! And I applaud your creative use of the Book of Secret Rules (Secret Book of Rules) and particularly your Tenth, though part of me still wants to hear about your dance.

    And also, hey, dude, wanna borrow a PEN?

    Glad your toe (ick, YUK!) is getting better. And I hope you find your wedding ring soon. I lost my engagement ring once, and cried for ages about it. It did get found though, a week later, in the garden at work *PHEW*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pen either, Lizzi. I guess there's some hope for the ring, but not much. I've "lost" it before, but it's turned up quickly those times.

      Delete
    2. Can't I forgot to write about my dancing! I am far from gifted in that department, but I know I left them breathless. I shook it like a salt shaker. Or perhaps like a polaroid picture.

      Delete
    3. BWahahahah I want a VIDEO of that :D *hugs*

      Delete
  3. I lost so many rings my partner stopped giving them to me and he was a jeweller. ...I suspect I may need to use a pen too. Cool use of the big book....hardly anyone ever gets tje coupon....you musta danced your heart out for the virgins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel, that someone else has lost wedding rings. I shook it salt shaker, let me tell ya!

      Delete
  4. And I haven't seen Frozen. Nor have I heard any of the songs. And not starting now, sorrynotsorry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a chance. The clip doesn't contain a song, but it does contain funniness, especially if you're in touch with your elementary school humor.

      Delete
  5. No one in my family have seen Frozen yet, but we know the songs, thanks to XMkids. Actually, my 11 year old is singing one of them right now as he sets up a game.
    I would be sick to my stomach if I lost my wedding ring. I've lost other jewelry he's given me (all found eventually) and could barely function. Of course, I probably wouldn't feel quite so bad if he lost his ring a couple months before I did. Good luck finding yours.
    The toe...yeah...um...gross...glad it's healing for you.
    A Rewards card!?!?! Is that like at the grocery store, so they can keep track of your every move and send you special coupons to entice you back?
    I hope your coming week has a whole lot more sparkle and goodness than last week.
    I have a daughter celebrating a birthday on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM sick to my stomach. It's the worst. Expensive and meaningful. I'm trying to talk to myself about how it's just a "thing," not he marriage, itself.
      Your recent birthday adventures have inspired me, Christine! I really hate the pressure (and, quite honestly the experience) of children's parties, but I am taking heart from your good experience.

      Delete
  6. I agree with your review of the Llewelyn Davis movie. Saw it and thought it was well done, although not their best. The lead character was so sad, I know it was supposed to be a comedy but I left the theater feeling kind of depressed by how his life as a performer just wasn't working out. But, glad you and your husband got to have a date night, that's always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm so glad someone wrote about the movie! You're right that it was depressing, but I did get a kick out of the Bob Dylan sillhouette and voice at the end.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen frozen, but I clearly am missing something. What a fun clip!! If I would have known that there were secret rules that I could claim and skip cards, I might not be so overwhelmed about participating in this particular hop. I'm glad you found your pencils. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand it, the clip isn't in the movie. But I love it. Especially the end.
      You should participate. I love this group of people!

      Delete
  8. Now I understand your title haha! I like that analogy. I think most days I'd say, "surrrre, take as many as you want!" but if I'd the week you did, I would definitely say, "#$@^ OFF AND GET YOUR OWN, DUDE!"

    WHAAAA? You lost your ring, and so did the hubs? Uh....time for ring tattoos, chica. Embrace it.

    YAY to date night! It's so imperative, and doesn't happen often enough, right? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, tats are an idea. But I've heard they don't really last. We're both terrible about taking our off. The Dude didn't like to type in his and once accidentally knocked the coaster it was sitting on off his desk and into the trashcan. Didn't think it through until the trash truck was pulling away. I can't wear rings without breaking out in excema so mine was always going off-on-off-on. And I think I just mistakenly left it on too low of a surface. I'm sick about it!

      Delete
  9. I've seen bits of Frozen (like I see bits of most movies as I pass through the living room to the conservatory where my computer lives.) And I don't even know the songs.
    That toe thingy sounds sore. Ouch! Glad it's healing. Hope you find your wedding ring and that next week goes better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and here's to hope for the ring!

      Delete
  10. I've never seen Frozen either. We were about to see it for our own date night but saw Wolf of Wall Street instead. I had a pretty good week too. Took some clothes to the consignment store as well & got some cash back. Always a plus! I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was Wolf of Wall Street? I haven't been that motivated to see that one, but then I've heard good stuff lately. Yay to consigning!

      Delete
  11. First, kudos to you for the list at all, given your week. OK, the pencil thing - my response would generally be "um, I don't really have one" because with my auto-immune deficiency I am something of a germaphobe and I just don't want other people's crud. Also, I probably wouldn't have one for real because, seriously, who carries pencils???
    The toe thing - I swear we must be related because I also practice aggressive toe maintenance and it always gets me in trouble! Hope it's feeling better...but I totally understand.
    Frozen is so worth it. I hate Disney and I loved it. So that's a pretty good review.
    SO sorry about the lost ring(s)...hope they turn up!
    Have a better week this week! Go make some Brussels Sprouts - I pinned like a thousand recipes for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. I actually hate using pencils. But the analogy would work with wet ink pens, which are my preference. But who asks, "Do you have a Uniball Vision Elite fine point pen I can borrow?"

      More similarities! And this brings me such comfort. Sometimes I am horrified by myself.

      I CANNOT get into animated movies. I just can't. So I sent The Dude and our daughter for a date. But now I am intrigued by it and may need to watch the entire thing someday.

      I don't know why I've been so slow to follow you back on Pinterest. Glad I'm doing it now. I was going to make that detox water, but I couldn't find mint at the store. Boo.

      Delete
  12. I would probably give the pencil MOST of the time, but under some conditions, it would be a nicely sharpened one with a good eraser and under others, it would be dull and chewed up and the eraser would be worn down. What does that say about me?

    I, too, have always practiced aggressive toe maintenance; however, having my ingrown toenails cut out about 16 years ago did wonders! (That was not fun, but as a picker, it might not be so bad for you.) Still have an occasional problem, for which I PICK THE HELL OUT OF IT. You know you've done a good job if you make it bleed. AM I RIGHT?

    I haven't seen Frozen. I'm living Frozen with this stupid Polar Vortex and don't need it rubbed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't find your email address ANYWHERE on your blog to claim my prize for WINNING THE GREEN EYE GAME.

      Delete
    2. First of all, I'm glad you want your prize..the one I haven't thought up yet. I just figured you were a little skittish about handing out your address, which is totally cool. I sent you an email.

      I like you pencil analogy and imagery.

      OMG, aggressive toenail manglers unite! You and me and Lisa! This brings me such comfort that other like me exist in this world.

      I've been thinking of that surgery, though I'm usually OK. My sister had on both big toes, but when she was either pregnant or nursing and did it sans anesthesia!!!! Yikes!



      Delete
  13. Amazon is the best. And I also haven't seen Frozen although I too know the Let it Go song despite being a household of one. Don't ask....

    Hope this week is a better one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYONE seems to know Let It Go, though I thought Idina Menzel's performance was weak at the Oscars. It's a new classic, they say.

      Delete
  14. I can't ever seem to find a pen--so I feel you with the pencil story. We love Frozen in our house and downloaded it recently. Thanks for the adorable clip. I hope you have a better week this week (although getting all your amazon shopping done is a win in my book).
    Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did skip the toe one - sorry. And crap about your wedding ring - was it insured? I've lost so much jewelry, but my wedding set is one of the few things I have insured. And yay for selling stuff at consignment shops - more to spend at Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. It was a gross situation, but I have a weird attraction to gross. If it's my body, that is. I love consigning and then buying on credit. New for free!

      Delete
  16. Did you see Adele Dazeem…er…Idina Menzel on Jimmy Fallon singing Let It Go with him and The Roots? It was great! The clip's online. And your poor toe. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toe is so much better, and thanks for the video rec. We had a little family viewing tonight, and we all loved it. It's just such a joy to see people enjoying making music together. I love how they all chimed in on the "cold never bothered me..." line together.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!