Saturday, March 22, 2014

TToT18: Cool Kids

The only healthy way to live life is to learn the like the little everyday things, like the sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentlemen like myself.
source
-Larry McMurtry (Lonesome Dove)

Have you read that book? You should.

As I write this, I am sitting home alone. (1)

I am not trying to get as much done as possible during "quiet time," and I am not using my precious post-bedtime TV hours. And, I even folded and put away all the laundry before I sat down at my computer. (2) This is a precious moment for me. If only I had a bunny and a yellow bow, my contentment cup would be full.

My birthday present from my parents arrived this week! (3) It came far 'cross the sea from the British Isles, and I cannot love it more. I'm a little stumped as to where to find an A1 frame, so for now, it hangs proudly in my kitchen sans frame. Introducing my life motto:
'cept mine's navy with white writing (source)

Life has slowed down just a tad this week (4), which has been an extremely welcome change. I've been feeling like life has been whipping past without a chance for me to take a breath. I took a breath or two this week, and the increased oxygen has helped improve my stamina.

Look what Leo and I found! (5)
That's a crocus. Spring!

Oh, and this at Costco, too! (6)

My interest is hardly ever piqued by an animated movie. That's why I suggested a daddy-daughter date for Frozen. But then everybody was talking about it, and here it was on sale, so I gave it a shot. It's really not bad. Even pretty good. And I'm just glad we now own one kid's movie since it looks like we're gonna get another load of this misery next week.
Thankful for neighborhood children who like to earn money shoveling snow. (7) I think I've been thankful for that before, but oh well.

Also thankful that we have one parent who likes to play in the snow (not me), and one child who likes to stay inside by the fire (with me) and play Memory.


You know when you get an unexpected shout-out? The unexpectedness of it makes the positive reinforcement all the more meaningful. I got an email this week (9) from a distant relative who had come to visit for an hour or two. She wrote to tell me how impressed she was with my mothering, specifically my patience and ability to turn every instance into an opportunity to nurture and teach. And, yes, I am quoting the email for you. I am actually absolutely certain that patience is one of my weaker traits, but that whatever I was doing with my kids seemed like good parenting to her gives me an enormous boost. Enormous! I am still floating from this one.

And then, BONUS! Lizzi emailed to see if I'd like to help cohost this little thankful gathering! (10) Whoop! I admit that it's bittersweet since I'll be taking Lisa's place, but I'm excited to sit at the Cool Kids' table, nonetheless. Tada!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

30 comments :

  1. Am I really first here???

    First of all, wait just a minute -- more wintery misery next week? You aren't that far from here and if you're getting it, we surely will, too. I'm going to check the weather. Grumble...

    OK, Lonesome Dove? See, this is why I am so completely in love with you, honey. That is like one of my all-time favorites, despite the fact that I generally do not gravitate toward westerns. I used to on the movie version on VHS...have not yet replaced it on DVD. Awesome.

    You are a very cool kid and you'll be a great co-host! I'm sad to give it up, but it's the best choice for right now. And I can't think of anyone I'd rather have slide into my spot! :)

    Now go check your e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, forgot to link up. Am I really equipped to cohost?

      Girl, do not even get me started on LD!!! I'll quote the whole movie to you! Yes, I also don't really read Westerns, but that book (all 858 pages of it) is worth it. And the casting of Robert Duvall? Genius.

      Delete
    2. I did that pretty much all the time. You're fine!

      Duvall was totally genius. He was fantastic! He often reminded me of my Grandfather...

      Delete
    3. What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded.

      Delete
    4. Lisa, we are going to miss you... I didnt think this was all definite yet so I waited to say anything but we will miss you! And of course you too will always be one o the cool kids as is our buddy and new cohostini Sarah. Welcome Sarah! You are a fab addition... better start practicing your dance of the seven virgins...Lisa can teach it to ya Im sure!

      Delete
  2. SECONDTHIRDFOURTH - NO ONE CLAIMED IT!

    Welcome to your first gig as co-host. And fear thee not - we won't kick you off the cool kids table (wait, are we even *at* that table?) - I've forgotten to link my post up before now. And I'm perpetually late to my own hop. So everyone else's indiscretions have a way to go before they catch up, cos, yaknow, I'm meant to know what I'm doing.

    YAY! For your crocus, and for the helpful neighbour-kids. But booooo for snow.

    Glad you had such a gorgeously affirming email. What a wonderful thing to receive :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna get this thing down eventually. Especially now that I'm sitting at your table!

      Delete
  3. shhhhh 'bout the cool kids table... I didnt think we were either but if they think so ... well, who am I to say we aint cool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if I may… we have a cool table, but it is the coolth of clarks, in that, provided there are not too many spectators nearby, the scotts stop by and hangout even…on occasion, the (rare) lone roger… as a peer group, we totally out cool the cool kids...

      Delete
    2. Of course you're cool! And hmph, Clark.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the cool kids table! I'm totally goin' with that because,,,,well, because if you're there, so am I! Ha! Finally!
    I love that you and Leo found signs of Spring but what is this about more snow? Really!! I'm sorry to hear that but at least you'll be a pro at Memory, right?
    From what I've heard about shoveling snow, you can be thankful for the neighborhood kids as many times as you like :)
    I love the email and it's always so nice to hear someone tell you you're doing a good job, especially at parenting. Happy for you!
    I'm so happy to have you as a new co-host. It's sad to have Lisa go but you are a wonderful choice for the cool kids table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I live 15 miles from the Precious Moments Park and Chapel. I kid you not.
    6. As I write this, my daughter and her friends are watching Frozen. All of them are 15.
    8. My mom and I played hours and hours and hours of Memory when I was young. I still have my game, which is the Original Memory and which shows how old I am.
    Aaaaand WELCOME TO CO-HOSTING THE TToT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. And I bet you visit all.the.time.
      2. Hey, it's all about feminism. We should watch it at all ages!
      3. Fun! My daughter is better than I am at it sometimes!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Gotta love some mellow time. I totally hear ya about not wasting precious tv time. I was really shaking my head when I saw all that snow. You guys need a break. I'm probably the last one on the planet that hasn't seen Frozen. What's really odd is they marketed it as a movie about that goofy snowman, but now its all about the princesses I guess. Memory made me cringe a little. Never been good at that game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to make you cringe. Listen, I was dead set against Frozen, but I've come around. YOu should give it a chance.

      Delete
  7. Good to see the kids helping out by shoveling snow! And join our nutty hosting crew...we'll getcha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on joining the cool kids as a co-host! I'm sure you'll do great! We watched Frozen for the first time on Friday night over here and loved it. It is pretty well done.

    But honestly with this post? You had me at whiskey ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but what about buttermilk? Ha! If you read the book, it's a really meaningful quote from the fella that says it. And you get all those examples so much more.
      But, then, even without reading...whiskey!

      Delete
  9. I do believe this is the first time anyone has called me cool, and I'm guessing it's the same for a few other co-hosts. Nice tactic, flattering us. :). Welcome to the co-hosting!
    Ice cream is one of the best inventions ever made.
    We are going to have cold temps and snow this week, too. Spring break can't come soon enough. One more week...
    I still haven't seen a single crocus. It makes me sad. Glad you've had a sighting, though!
    Here's to more time to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, you post a picture of you in your prom dress with teased hair, I'll call you cool!
      Ice cream is what makes me happy when I am down. And breathing.

      Delete
  10. Where are you from? Those pictures could be from my neck of the woods, easily. We are also supposed to get hit with more snow. Argh.

    I love that ice cream picture!

    I also thought Frozen was pretty decent. I love the lego movie more though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North of DC. Are you VA?
      I've heard about the Lego movie. Must see!

      Delete
  11. As the sole representative from the Planet Ychromia, I would like to welcome you to the ranks of the co-hists of the TToT

    (and sure, this is the blogosphere's manifestation of the cool kids table.*)

    *much like high school… one on one, we totally are cool, in front of a pack of scotts or herd of rogers….less so, but as a group of co-hists… totally bring 'em on! Hey, now that you bring it up, maybe we do need to go over to some of them other bloghops and kick some a they asses…. good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh I think your ice cream print is my boyfriend's life motto- love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who loves ice cream is a friend of mine!

      Delete
  13. Normally I would love that ice cream quote, but I am hating anything that even resembles snow at this point. But I'm thankful that this *should* be the end of it. Because I'm a stay inside and play memory kind of girl, too.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!