Saturday, April 19, 2014

TToT22:A Break

I have hardly even opened Blogger this week. And for that I am grateful. I'm not saying I'm tired of blogging; I'm saying it's good to know when to take a break and to be able to take one. I think my last posts took a lot out of me. :)

My huge, giant, enormous thankful this week is for all of you, all the people who commented so supportively on my last few posts. Truly, I felt so validated, in spite of the fact that no one said, "Ah, but Sarah, I believe you." Nearly every comment was in support of my right and need to tell my story, and in validation of that as a path towards healing. Some were as sweet and comforting as a real in-person hug, and I love those people for understanding that sometimes you just need somebody to understand and say how much your life sucked for awhile. Though the phrase is trite and cliche, I will still write that all of your comments meant so much to me.

I have one more post (at least) in me on the subject, but as I wrote above, I've been a little removed from  the blogging world of late. Nevertheless, the whole series of events on my mind, I was thinking this morning of how wonderful job security is, and how easy it is to take for granted. I know for sure there are some TToT readers who do not take this for granted, and they know how it is impossible to understand the value of job security until it is missing. There was period of time in the summer of 2012 in which neither of us was employed and neither entirely certain if we would become so. Two children and no jobs is a frightening situation.

In the same theme, it is truly wonderful to work in a job that you enjoy in which you are appreciated. After that terrible year, the Dude has had two years in a education job in which he works with intelligent, talented people whom he admires and who admire him. I have seldom known a more collegial group of employees than those in his particular position. Ego does not seem to play a role, and they all go to each other freely for advice and improvement. These men and women are totally committed to improving public education. 

And in those two years, I have become a stay at home mother. We now know it will end sooner rather than later, but it has been a wonderful experience for me, and I certainly hope, for my children. I think I have been able to provide an much-needed sense of stability after great upheaval, and I hope that foundation will last after I enter the work force once more.

This week has been Spring Break. Last Saturday, I suggested we brainstorm a list of things we'd like to do for Spring Break, and though we have only accomplished a fraction from our list, it was so much fun to brainstorm. Mt. Vernon, puzzles, breakfast, and wearing pajamas in the car made the list along with all the parks in our general vicinity. 

One highlight from the week was the Baltimore Children's Museum, which is fantastic. But we also managed to coordinate schedules (a truly amazing feat) with two families we haven't seen in awhile to ride the National Mall Carousel and to dye eggs.

And how can I end without naming that fabulous video created by Lizzi. Truly, my green hat is so much better than Pharrell's Arby one. I am disappointed to say the video is no longer available, it seems. I was going to impress the Seven Guard Virgins!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

22 comments :

  1. Glad you're enjoying your break- both blogging and life. So fun that you created a bucket list for vacation- you'll have to hold on to it and knock off what you don't finish over some weekends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's one of those items I'll treasure when I'm an empty nester one day.

      Delete
  2. Not made by me - made by ZOE! I just shared it on Facebook. Nothing to do with me!

    I've done two adults and no jobs. That was scary enough. To do it with no children...YOW! Glad you have security now.

    And glad you're here. (and I DID believe you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that you were able to take a break... man, you had some intensity the past few weeks with those posts but they were extremely important! Sometimes you just need people who will listen and validate that you have a right, have rights... Im glad the dude is working in a validating place.. there is no such thing as job security any longer but it is important to be somewhere where you can feel you matter and dont have to take alll kinds of crap just to keep your stinking job...

    I cant leave without saying that I LOVE that wearing PJs in the car made the list of cool stuff to do on Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Zoe, why rain on my parade? But, you're right, I mostly mean that it's so wonderful to have that peace of a job where he's valued and does good and important work. It took me a year or more not to start panicking when he called in the middle of the day.
      And, thanks for the JibJab video! I LOVED it, and I am ashamed I did not give you credit!
      I'm not sure what is so appealing about PJs in the car, but everything makes the list, you know. We've reached the end of SB without having done that so we're going to make it happen tonight.

      Delete
  4. After reading a few posts today, it seems my little hiatus has started a trend. Sometimes a break is a good thing - in many circumstances. I didn't even know I needed a break until I took one! So glad your posts were helpful as well as everyone's comments. It helps, doesn't it? And glad to hear that your Husband has a position now that is supportive and encouraging for him, as well as the people there. I keep hoping and praying that things will work out well for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I'm reading about people needing and taking breaks everywhere! You trend creator, you!
      Listen, I'm hoping along with you!

      Delete
  5. You deserve a break, Sarah. And have a fabulous Easter, now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok for a minute I thought I missed something because I thought you were referring to something else but then went back and now my poor brain remembers and I didn't miss anything after all. YAY :D
    I know what you mean about some posts taking more out of us than others - I hope writing about that awful time for you and your husband has helped you to move further on from it. And I love that he has people surrounding him that give him the respect he deserves. Happy Easter, my lovely friend! I hope it's a wonderful, and very relaxing day, for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor brain! All of our poor, overworked brains! I hope you and your family, too, had a wonderful Easter!

      Delete
  7. that 'break from blogging thing' makes sense, (in that it can produce a rejuvenating effect that far outweighs the cost of the time away), very cool.
    And having a return to work (from the SAHM thing) as a planned, as opposed to precipitous event, also much better way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. You always read in broad themes, I notice.

      Delete
  8. Okay, I am in this Wordpress Hell where it won't let me comment on anything. I went over to your post on Lefty Pop, and my comment isn't there. Which means it's in the Lefty Pop spam folder. And it was long and probably incoherent, although I meant to be very eloquent. But I completely believe you. I've been in public education, and I know what can happen.

    Hope your blogging break is refreshing for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that explains it. I thought you had written that you'd commented, but I never could find a comment. Thank you for believing me, and I would love to read your comment sometime.

      Delete
  9. I just spent almost an hour reading all of the posts you've written and comments people made over the last 2 weeks. Good heavens! It had to take a lot out of you to write about your family's experience. It had to be worse to wait for the comment shoes to drop. I'm glad so many people were there to support you. I'm guessing it has been a big relief to finally get that all out.
    I was most happy to hear that you came to the realization that you can't make everyone believe you or think the same way as you. Seriously, I wish everyone believed the same as me. Life would be so much easier. :) But life is happier when you reach this realization.

    It looks like you had a great week of fun. Way to embrace the break! While I've never met them, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your kids think you staying at home with them has been a wonderful experience. :)

    How's that garden going? We just got ours started today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for taking that kind of time! Everyone else got it sort of spaced out. It did help to write it all out, and I have a bit more in me, but I'm gonna take my time.
      We've got some little shoots though the peas are stubborn, stubborn, and I'm worried we started too late for those plants to be worth much. But I just rebought some herbs (since our perennials did not make it through the winter), and it's a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I love that you got so much support Sarah... you SO deserve it. And I am also so glad you took yourself away from this place to restore and refuel! SO needed at times. I love that you took time to stay home with your kiddos- that will ALWAYS stay with them.

    Stay strong... I'm ready for your last post on the 'subject'. Waiting to cheer you on and embrace your TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Chris, you know your comments were among some of the best! Thank you so much!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!