1. He pays the bills. I hate paying bills. I can't balance a checkbook (truly, it comes out wrong every time). I'm pretty sure I'm striking a blow against any kind of feminist steps I've taken, but I'd rather be given a budget than have to deal with the bank account and the bills. Don't judge; I think I have a math phobia.
2. Poor Dude. He's dealt with some tough times in the last few years, personally and professionally. He knows when to seek out extra help. And he does it.
3. When he takes off his socks, he turns them right-side-out before putting them in the laundry basket. Do you do all the laundry at your house? Then you know what a big deal this is.
4. When I worked part time, I used to drop by his classroom to watch him teach. I am not exaggerating when I say his day to day teacher-student interactions are inspiring. I'd watch him now, but you know, we've got kids.
5. I laugh these days when he's turns them on me, but he's built up some mad interpersonal skillz through his admin training. I call it his therapist talk, but it is working. He's doing his job and doing it well.
6. In spite of being a SAHM, I don't really love playing with children. I can clothe them, feed them, teach them appropriate behavior and independence, and love them to pieces, but playing on a floor for hours is not my thing. It is the Dude's thing. He loves to play with children, and he'll sometimes disappear with them for hours. Blessed silence.
7. Sometimes the Dude gets anxious, and I remain calm. That's mostly when he's driving, and he doesn't know the directions. At almost all other times, it's the other way around. When I reach a breaking point, he often senses this and somehow begins to exude calm. It wafts from him.
8. He mows the lawn. He takes out the trash, recycling, and compost. 'Nuff said about those.
9. He has proven, more than once, that he can make a seemingly impossible decision in favor of his family.
10. How can you not love a man who dresses like this? And, when called by a truant teenager a "Stuart Little-looking motherf%&ker" actually becomes even more proud of his fashion sense?
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine