Saturday, April 26, 2014

TToT23: The Dude

Brian's (the Dude) birthday was Thursday so wouldn't it be appropriate for me to name ten traits of his for which I am thankful? Yes, I think so...

1. He pays the bills. I hate paying bills. I can't balance a checkbook (truly, it comes out wrong every time). I'm pretty sure I'm striking a blow against any kind of feminist steps I've taken, but I'd rather be given a budget than have to deal with the bank account and the bills. Don't judge; I think I have a math phobia.

2. Poor Dude. He's dealt with some tough times in the last few years, personally and professionally. He knows when to seek out extra help. And he does it.

3. When he takes off his socks, he turns them right-side-out before putting them in the laundry basket. Do you do all the laundry at your house? Then you know what a big deal this is.

4. When I worked part time, I used to drop by his classroom to watch him teach. I am not exaggerating when I say his day to day teacher-student interactions are inspiring. I'd watch him now, but you know, we've got kids.

5. I laugh these days when he's turns them on me, but he's built up some mad interpersonal skillz through his admin training. I call it his therapist talk, but it is working. He's doing his job and doing it well.

6. In spite of being a SAHM, I don't really love playing with children. I can clothe them, feed them, teach them appropriate behavior and independence, and love them to pieces, but playing on a floor for hours is not my thing. It is the Dude's thing. He loves to play with children, and he'll sometimes disappear with them for hours. Blessed silence.

7. Sometimes the Dude gets anxious, and I remain calm. That's mostly when he's driving, and he doesn't know the directions. At almost all other times, it's the other way around. When I reach a breaking point, he often senses this and somehow begins to exude calm. It wafts from him.

8. He mows the lawn. He takes out the trash, recycling, and compost. 'Nuff said about those.

9. He has proven, more than once, that he can make a seemingly impossible decision in favor of his family.

10. How can you not love a man who dresses like this? And, when called by a truant teenager a "Stuart Little-looking motherf%&ker" actually becomes even more proud of his fashion sense?



Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

26 comments :

  1. That picture -- and Stuart Little comment -- are priceless! I love those hats! My husband has one and the first time he takes out for the season there's lots of "Extree extree read all about it" and whatnot :)
    I hate math too! Thank gods online banking has math built in, I could never balance before that. Also not a fan of inside out laundry but I just wash it and return it inside out, I've seen my son and husband wear socks inside out, that is except for the babies but since I'm usually the one changing them their clothes are put into the hamper the right way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves that hat, but loses it on a regular basis. It's currently in one its missing phases. He got that comment back in the winter, and we loved it immediately.

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU STUART LITTLE-LOOKING M8%$+##$-F*&##^%!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I was going to be impressed the truant student was at least familiar with children's literature, but then I remembered that Stuart Little was made into a movie. However, gotta love the outfit!

    Happy birthday to your husband! His birthday is on my wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Kristi, his first impulse was to respond, "Excellent text to life connection!" But he thought it might cause trouble. And you're right, it was probably a movie reference anyway.
      Happy Anniversary!

      Delete
  4. I know I probably shouldn't be laughing about the Stuart Little looking m*****f***** statement but I can't help it. I'm just glad he's proud of it because he should be! Sounds like you got yourself quite a Dude there! I think you should keep him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally be laughing at the comment! It happened months ago, and we are still laughing over it.

      Delete
  5. Awwwwwhh he's kind of adorable, and it's lovely to read how wonderful he is professionally, and as a father and husband, and to see your thankfuls about him :) Happy Birthday to the Dude :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass your good wishes on, Lizzi! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad I can waft some calmness your way. I'm sure I've wafted some other things that, while much more humorous, are not nearly as deserving of a 'thankful.' So hold my hand and let's go up this next mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most awesome compliment ever! The Dude is a definite keeper! Happy birthday, Dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's a repeat on the blog, but we still love it. Oh, and I turned on comment moderation after the nasty one. That's why your comment doesn't show up immediately.

      Delete
  8. He flips the socks right side out?
    That is a keeper.
    Happy Birthday Dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, now there is someone who gets it! It's a big deal, huh?

      Delete
  9. Honestly, from all you've shared, Sarah....Duke ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sock bit is gold. Happy birthday to the dude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your turning-socks-right-side-out before laundry guy. It's great that you compliment each other. I'm usually the one who needs calming and the one who'd rather play with the kids -- but we make it work. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the saying? There's a lid for every pot? Something like that...

      Delete
  12. AW!!! I love that picture!!! And I absolutely LOVE your list!! Oh, how I get them ALL! Socks AND all clothes MUST be turned back the right way. Drives me NUTS when anyone doesn't do it- kids included. I love that you two have such a powerful dynamic about you that you can sense the rise in emotion and balance it with the other. TRUE testimony of love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness the socks! Yes! Lovely list and happy bday to your dude!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!