Saturday, May 31, 2014

Happy Birthday TToT!!!

This weekend we are celebrating the TToT's one year birthday, and especially, its fearless founder, Lizzi of Considerings! She may dodge the compliment she deserves by saying we all make up the community (and that statement has merit--every participant is valuable), but she gets credit for starting the "best hop on the Interwebs." Yay, yay, Lizzi! We all contribute now, but thank you for bringing us together!

So, that's my #1 and #2.

Remember how I wished aloud for a wagon in which to haul my kidlets to and from the park? I put a notice out on our listserv and had one within 24 hours. It needed a good hosing, but then it was ready to go. I had Christine and her mommy exercises in mind as I planted my feet firmly and absorbed the force of the wagon as we headed downhill and as I dragged my heavy load back up.

Believe it or not, I am thankful for dandelions. My kids have not yet learned the disdain with which most of the world views these flowers, and since they are plentiful, I receive several on every outdoor adventure with the request (from Maggie) to put them in my hair or in a vase if we are on our way home. (Thanks to my mama for foreseeing my need for tiny vases years ago.) And Leo is really making more of an effort to communicate (other than impatient screams) and says /f/ every time he gives me a flower. Sweet boy.
Sweet, even if they don't last.

What's on my mind more than anything else this weekend is Maggie's Annual Review on Monday, in which we will decide her placement for next school year. We've bitten the bullet to hired a prominent psychologist familiar with Maggie's profile to attend with us and interpret her neuropsychological evaluation and why she is, as he puts it, "a complex case." He'll also help us advocate for academic goals to be added her IEP. Brian and I spent an hour and a half on the phone with him this week, and afterwards, I felt marginally more optimistic about options and wholly assured that the money we will pay for her attendance will be well spent. He's well-known and respected in the community and has boatloads of experience with these meetings. Plus, he's not at all combative and believes (as we do) that establishing a positive relationship between the school and family will yield the best results.

Ten Things of Thankful



 Your hosts

23 comments :

  1. Great news about Maggie's team!
    Tiny vases are something I need - because exactly like you said, little kids bring little flowers. I always end up using a juice glass. Have to start keeping an eye out for those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must. Little kids love them!

      Delete
    2. I will. Now I have a reason to check out the thrift stores.
      Meanwhile, I hope all goes well at Maggie's meeting - thoughts and prayers going your way.

      Delete
    3. There's always a good reason to thrift! Thank you, thank you for the thoughts and prayers. Means a ton.

      Delete
  2. That is awesome news indeed about Maggie's team. And so happy to hear. Will say my girls also having come to the conclusion yet about dandelions and we too have enough of them picked for us to go around and then some!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers from you children are the sweetest, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. Um, Sarah...Are you going to actually link this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, Christine...I am losing my brain. THANK YOU!

      Delete
    2. Glad you got a wagon! And dandelions, so sweet when kids do that! We have so many we could open a Dandelion Winery! I'm surprised the earth isn't completely covered in dandelions and maple trees, based on the amount of helicopter/whirleyball thingeys we have all over from the maple trees!

      Delete
    3. The whirligigs are all over our yard, too! Such a pain to clean up, but fun to play with.

      Delete
  4. Those little vases are brilliant and adorable!! Ack, I could have been using them for 15 years!! I only have one dandelion/weed picker left, and I can't imagine it's going to last much longer. I will be sad when I don't have someone giving me a bouquet every time we go outside.
    Hopefully when you say you had me and my exercises in mind you weren't yelling at me or cussing me out. ;) Good for you, going after those hills!
    I imagine having a pro in that meeting with you will be very helpful. I'll be praying that all goes well and you come out of it with a plan you are happy with.
    I'm so glad you have joined our TToT co-hosting team. It's been a pleasure getting to know you and your family through the weeks. Here's to many, many more laughs and continued friendships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Christine. I'm feeling so apprehensive about this meeting!
      No, I was not cussing you out. I was just thinking about you and your exercises and how our walk to the park (down towards the creek) would be a great example.
      It's been a joy getting to know you, too! So glad to be a part of this hop!

      Delete
  5. Glad you are so positive about Monday and Maggie's appointment. It's so vital that y'all pick a school for her which will be best to nurture and challenge her as she develops. Fingers crossed and prayers sent that it all goes well. Let us know!

    I shall accept the compliments of having thought of this, and of having brought you all together. THANK YOU! I love this hop, and am grateful and thankful for each of my wonderful co-hosts, and I am SO GLAD you number amongst them.

    The dandelions are adorable, and I'm glad you acknowledge and cherish those gifts in the spirit in which they're given. Hooray for tiny vases :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO GLAD to be a part of it and so honored to have been asked (after I volunteered)!

      Delete
  6. I love the little vase on the left of the photo! HOw cute is that!? You know what youre talking about with those iep mtgs... good choice having a pro who isnt all combative... that stuff just builds such animosity...best of everything for the meeting and outcomes...Its stressful enough without having to deal with social and personality issues... will send you good vibes... so glad you are co hosting too! OH I FORGOT! HAD RAMPS! Ramps right? Yeah... ramps... they were on a pizza! thought of you!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know if this phrase was created by Bob Garmston, but I did PD with him more than once years and years ago, and one of the tenets of his Cognitive Coaching thing was "presuming prositive presuppositions." I believe in that. I truly believe that Maggie's teachers and therapists want the best for her. I've been on that side, and I know their feelings, but I also know their constraints so the whole process makes me extremely nervous.
      SO EXCITED you had ramps! Did you love them? I had them on pizza once too. So delicious. We had dinner guests this week, and I saved some for the dinner and one of our guests was so excited. Warmed my heart. Now you can always think of me when you have ramps as Lisa thinks of me when she has Brussel sprouts (though I detest those).

      Delete
  7. Best of luck to you with the IEP meeting, and I'm glad to hear you have the psychologist attending with you! I hope next week's TToT is all about how well it all went!
    There's nothing much sweeter than little vases of wilted dandelions! I often find myself out running errands with a dead dandelion still tucked behind my ear, a gift from a preschooler at recess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet! You get to keep receiving them!

      Delete
  8. Yay for finding a strong advocate for Maggie! I will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you the best. I still love a good dandelion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The psychologist sounds like he is worth his weight in gold (though hopefully his charge isn't quite as expensive!)

    I love the dandelions in the little vases. It takes me back to the time when my oldest daughter asked me why God put dandelion flowers on weeds. They truly are beautiful little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has got to be one of the sweetest queries ever. I absolutely love it! Such a cheerful color, they are.

      Delete
  10. Awww to the dandelions and YAYYYY to getting help navigating Maggie's school year next year. It's a big big thing (and let me know if you need another person on your team- the woman who evaluated Tucker runs the JMU Mason Life program and Knows Stuff (son 18 w autism and other stuff and well she's just awesome).

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!