Saturday, May 10, 2014

TToT25: And now that TToT25 badge makes sense

In an effort towards balance, I am going to pen (metaphorically) a light and cheerful, non-themed list this week. (Have you even noticed that I like a theme?)

1. My Monday was not like Christine's. Geez. We should all be grateful.

2. I don't like cleaning floors. Aside from vacuuming, I avoid the task. But our bathrooms and kitchen floors were getting pretty disgusting. I bit the bullet, stamped down my gag reflex, and scrubbed. They now shine. Six months until the next go! (Just kidding.)

3. Irises! I forgot I even planted them!

4. Whew! We are not liable for the charges made by the employee who used our credit card after the Dude left it at a bar. Seriously, who spends that much money at guess.com?

5. The carousel and train at our local park are open! Need I say more?

6. Kindergarten orientation was not a bad experience. Maggie even had something positive to say about it.

7. It amuses me no end that I have been pegged as a high maintenance parent. While waiting in line to fill out my forms, the principal beckoned me over to assure me they would take good care of Maggie at the school. And then the special education coordinator sat and talked with me while we waited for my conference with the nurse (to build rapport, I imagine). After years of pegging the high maintenance parents myself and then holding their hands, I find this amusing. And, I admit, I'm pleased to know that they consider me a parent that needs a little extra attention. Makes Maggie just a little less likely to slip through the cracks.

8. Also, I think I've corrected my relationship with the office manager. She was highly annoyed that I called to schedule Maggie's Kindergarten orientation late (not my fault), but I behaved in the manner that I have found helpful to behave with office managers: I was sweet and syrupy and treated her with the deference I imagine she thinks she deserves. For those who have never worked in an elementary school, know this: the office manager is a very powerful person in the hierarchy of an elementary school. You want her to like you and your child. If you're a teacher at the school, you need her to like you.

9. How could I forget until #9? I met Kristi last weekend! And she bought me drinks.

10. I'd rank that photo of me at 8.5/10. I am not photogenic so a good photo is cause for rejoicing.

And, before I forget once again--at Lizzi's request, three things of worthwhile:
1. I know how schools work on the inside.
2. I'm not scared to advocate. Or, rather, I am. But I still will.
3. The Dude's even better at these first two than I am. And he's on my team.

Link it up!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

24 comments :

  1. You and Kristi both look great together! Did you have a great time?
    Maggie is adorable...never hurts to be pegged high maintenance at school !
    Lets hope our mondays are never a three parter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a treat for me to meet Kristi! I sure hope I didn't jinx myself with that comment about Christine's Monday!

      Delete
  2. You know what? You get your high-maintenance mom on and you WERK it. Sounds like it will be good for Maggie.

    I'm glad her orientation went well, though. That's really encouraging :)

    YAY! for your beautiful irises and your shiny floors. I don't want to tell you about my house because it probably could shout louder than yours but I'm very good at closing my ears.

    I grudgingly acknowledge your gorgeous photo of double-jealousy. And I joyfully welcome your TToW :D GOOD FOR YOU :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, I'm GONNA. And I wish you the very best at ignoring your floor shouting for as long as you can.

      Delete
  3. FORGOT! I wish you peace, quiet and strong internet for the rest of your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't work quite as well on the front porch, but it's too perfect not to be out here.

      Delete
  4. You and Kristi got to meet each other?!?! How cool for you both!
    Irises are wonderful little surprises, aren't they?
    You speak the truth about the school office manager. You must befriend the school office manager!! Really, befriend everyone in the building, but the office manager first and foremost.
    Nothing wrong with being the high maintenance parent, as long as you are a pleasant high maintenance parent. :)
    I would not wish my Monday on anyone. Ever. I will be grateful if I never have a day half as bad again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm, yeah, but let's face up to the fact that she is miles cooler than I am. Ha! I love that someone understands what I am saying about office manager's. It's just a life lesson worth knowing. Makes everything so much smoother. But I agree it's important to be friendly with all. From the principal to the cleaning staff. Smiles and kind words go so much further than you might think.

      Delete
  5. Great pic of you and Kristi. How COOL that you got to meet!
    I love irises! Would love to have them, but since I hate to garden, well, yeah.
    The school secretary (as we call the office manager here) runs the show.
    You want the principal and support staff to know you. Hopefully, in a good way. It's a lot harder at the high school level to do this.
    NO ONE wants a Monday like Christine's.
    Without meaning to do so, I just looked up and realized I mimicked Christine's entire comment. Well, you know what they say about great minds and all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's still a good comment. And I would respond the same, but you know, you could just read the one above. Is that rude? But I am so glad you get what I was saying about the school hierarchy. It's just something that cannot be fully understood until you've lived it.

      Delete
  6. I love planting bulbs, forgetting about them, and being surprised when they show themselves in the spring.

    You'll be a great advocate for your daughter, and how lucky for her that you are there to make sure she doesn't fall through the cracks.

    How great that you and Kristi got to meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part about bulbs, isn't it? Lovely little surprises. I actually remembered that I'd planted daffodils and crocuses, but I'd completely forgotten about the irises.
      Meeting Kristi was definitely a highlight of the week for me!

      Delete
  7. Good list! I have had some very good and not so good experience with my kids' schools so I know how important it is to be on the same team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there will be good years and not so good ones, depending on the teacher. But I agree it's important to always act as a team.

      Delete
  8. This is such a good list! And that is such a good photo! And I am so jealous that the two of you got to meet, but in a good way!

    Enough of that..it's exhausting. But all true :)

    I have never worked in an elementary school but have learned over the years that you do want to get in good with office staff. After seven years at the same elementary school and five more to go, this is very important! I agree that the school seeing you as a HM parent might just get Maggie what she needs and there is nothing wrong with that.

    The irises are beautiful. It is so hot here and I have a black thumb so I don't get things that pretty to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making everybody so jealous because I met Kristi. But now Christine is going to meet Lizzi!?!?!??! All jealousy transfers.

      Delete
  9. Yup. Yup to #8! Thankfully the two I work hand-in-hand with warrant great respect. Warning...they do see through the syrupy. Don't call every day...not even once and definitely not more than once...you will be pegged, that's for sure!

    You will be a wonderful advocate for your child!

    Can't wait for my irises! Still a couple weeks out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a bad experience with an office manager who was truly not a good person and a bit on the extreme end of the stereotype. I realize some of that bitterness came through in my #8. As my husband says, office managers have to be naturally good at organization and routine, and that can lead to inflexibility. It think that is true because that's actually how I can be, myself. It's important to respect those skills and just try to ignore the attitude that rears its head at times. It's hard to keep a whole school organized.

      Delete
  10. Um, excuse me, you met me too! I should have stuck around for the photo and free drink.

    I know exactly what you mean about the elementary school office manager; at our school it was the principal's secretary. She was gruff and blunt, but she was the woman to know. Once you were on her good side you were golden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And that was a thrill! And if I had thought to take a picture, I would definitely have posted it.

      Delete
  11. How fabulous that you met Kristi! (I'd like to meet both of you one day, so be prepared!). It's a lovely photo of both of you. Your Irises are so pretty. Isn't it such a wonderful surprise when something pops its head up in the garden that you'd forgotten you'd planted? I know exactly what you mean about the school secretary being a very powerful person! I learnt that too from teaching high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am prepared! I am ready! Come visit the US! The convenient thing is that Kristi and I will in the same metropolitan area.
      I said elementary because that's all I can comment on, but I can believe that's a personality type at all levels.

      Delete
  12. I'm looking forward to the new office manager at my son's school this fall because the one where he goes for preschool is a b#@tch. Big time. I'm glad that you got some extra attention - squeaky wheel and all that good stuff - it'll make it easier on both you AND your daughter. Here's to advocating. And having an awesome husband on your team. And YAYYYYY I got to meet you! And you're awesome!! Thanks again for coming. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some can be nasty, nasty people. I reread my comment and realized some bitterness seeped into it. I've had run-ins with a nasty one, but I've been on the good side of more so I don't think it's me. :)

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!