2. Ramps are another thing I grew to love in WNC. I think of them as so Appalachian, I didn't think I'd ever find them here. But lo and behold, someone hunts them up and sells them at our neighborhood farmer's market! Turns out little Maggie likes them, too. Such a strong taste for a five year old to enjoy!
3. Time for my annual rhubarb pie! The Dude doesn't care for pie, or for rhubarb, for that matter. Fortunately, we are having dinner guests this week so I can get them to eat some of it, and I won't be forced to eat the entire thing myself.
4. Speaking of, aside of the obvious reason of knowing correct proportions, these notes are so lovely
to read from time to time. I remember the occasion, and I remember the dear friends. And I don't have to guess how much sugar.
5. This is the perfect season for park play. I'm not shivering or sweating. The sky is blue, the grass is green, and I don't resist the idea. We just go. But you know what I want? One of those wagons so I can pull the kids along. It's like herding cats when we're all on foot.
6. A family down the street decided to give away their outdoor table and chairs set. The table has a bit of green paint on it, but otherwise, the whole thing is in very nice condition. We did look hilarious carrying a table down the street together, Brian in his suit and me on my bare feet. But here's what I know about our neighborhood listserv: people are willing to give away valuable items so they don't have to cart them away themselves, but you must act fast. Neighborhood mooch, that's me.
7. Speaking of bare feet, it's now seasonal! Not that I didn't still walk outside with bare feet in the winter (the the amazement of the parents at schoolbus pick-up), but now I'm not in danger of frostbite. Shoes are cute, but I'd rather go without.
8. We got two high school graduation announcements in the mail this week. Such fun! One from a former student of The Dude's and one from the daughter of a childhood friend. Hard to believe either is graduating but so flattering to be remembered.
9. Our neighbors across the street are starting up their outdoor movie projections again. And Maggie is taking a nap so she can stay up and watch Night at the Museum.
10. And now I will dance. Watch out, Seven Guard Virgins! Watch me go!
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, Mother of Imperfection, Rewritten, Thankful Me, The Wakefield Doctrine