Saturday, June 14, 2014

TToT30: Floods of Relief

School is out, friends! There is a nearly tangible feeling of relief around our house. That feeling of deadlines met, meetings in the past, and at least a few days of sleeping in ahead of us. Granted, that feeling often goes hand and hand with illness around here (no exception this time), but there's still the sleeping in.

I am a person divided when it comes to the concept of PreKindergarten graduation. What an absurd idea, huh? PreK graduation? On the other hand (that trumps, I am afraid), the children (mine, especially) are just so darn cute in their finery and handmade mortarboards, and why ever question the need for a celebration? End of preK? Let's celebrate! And so, I have a preK graduate! And isn't she cute?



We had yet another Kindergarten orientation this week, but it solidified the choice we made in the IEP meeting last week. It was good to verify that we made the right choice, and the other parents seemed eager to make connections and set up playdates, and all that is very positive.

So now I am looking forward to slower days in which there are no lunches to make and no buses to meet, no endless calls to the insurance company to make, and no painful meetings looming. I hope to find time for my "projects" once again and soon take advantage of that free pass to the pool. And when we're not there, finally blowing up that pool I bought last summer. We have old friends coming to visit and trips planned, and this summer will be a grand adventure!

My parents visited for a few days this week, and I am totally counting that as two because...two parents, you know, and I love when they come to visit. Visits with my family consist mainly of eating, drinking, and game playing, and this visit fit the mold (I feel that should be spelled with an ou, but perhaps that's just Lizzi's influence). I used their visit as an excuse for another rhubarb pie (12 cups of rhubarb makes an enormous pie), we went out to dinner at a local charcuterie, and we played several games of Bohnanza.

Here they are, singing to Leo

They flew home this morning, but I cheered myself with my first solo trip out to run errands in months. Months, I tell you! You cannot fully appreciate the beauty of running errands alone until you've done it with small children. I was so unemcumbered! I got so much done in so little time! It was a beautiful time.

Today is our neighborhood block party, our second since moving here, but we're so much more established residents now. I love that we live in a neighborhood that plans a party in which we all get together to socialize. We have lovely neighbors. I'll be contributing water balloons and a dish that I have yet to choose or make. Must finish this post...

Speaking of the neighborhood, I volunteered to put out one of the farmer's market signs every weekend, and that put me in the running for a free CSA box from time to time. Turns out this was our week! Extra rhubarb (hence the enormous pie) and enough asparagus to keep our pee stinky for days.

Finally, Leo's speech therapist suggested we get him an electric toothbrush to stimulate his mouth. After he conquered his initial fear of the thing, he fell in love with it, and I try to let him carry it around for awhile every day. Turns out it is having some effect! He's been extremely chatty of late and has added four or five words to his vocabulary in the last few days! Who knew?

Now off to fill water balloons and consider to contents of the fridge and garden. Have a lovely week!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

42 comments :

  1. Hi, I enjoyed reading your post. Summer is the time to chill. I taught Pre-K for many years and graduation was a BIG deal. It's nice to meet you and I look forward to more connecting.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Val! I loved the graduation.

      Delete
  2. Pre-K graduations are so cute; why not celebrate? I remember my youngest son's pre-K graduation. His cap ended up glued to his hair! My husband flipped him upside-down, and the cap remained on his head. It still makes me chuckle.

    Monday was National Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie Day! I couldn't find a combo pie, and I was too lazy to make one, so Marie Callendar's provided two pies for our family--one strawberry, one rhubarb. I planted rhubarb this year, so hopefully next year I'll have home-grown rhubarb available for pie-making.

    I once read that, in preparation for parenthood, one should get as many goats as one wants children and then take them to the grocery store with you. Hurray for the chance to run errands alone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is hilarious start to finish! Hat glued to hair to goats at the grocery store. Goats at the grocery store is so perfect! A tendency to wander away and eat everything!
      I want to grow rhubarb, but I was told the leaves are poisonous so I am waiting til my kids are older. Speaking of eating everything...

      Delete
    2. Oh, Kristi, what a great comment! The goats - perfect! The cap glued to your son's head - a teacher's nightmare!

      Delete
  3. You seem to have had a wonderful week. Thank you for sharing your adorable photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Romi. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Im so with you on the any reason to celebrate! GOSH your kids are cute! Who knew about the toothbrush thing? And think of the good oral hygiene as a collateral benefit! Congrats on the graduation!!!! I dont know who looks happier you or your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you for telling me kids are cute over and over. I think they are too, of course. I totally discounted the toothbrush thing and bought one somewhat grudgingly, but... Glad I did!

      Delete
  5. Oh my Gawd! I just read Kristi's goat comment! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY cool about Liam and the toothbrush! What a star he is to take to it so well. I'm sure you already are, but get him blowing bubbles with soap stuff, and through a straw into his drinks, as well :)

    Your graduand is adorable, and YOU seem to be wearing shoes (an anomaly? or just a chance to show off your slender ankles?)

    I'm glad summer looms so bright and wonderful looking - free pool trips, long days and the chance to get your teeth stuck into some projects. Sounds awesome.

    (mould. Bring on the British :D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's a sensory thing. Some kids have less of a sense of where things are in their mouth and can't figure how to place their teeth and tongue. The stimulation helps, evidently. I do do that other stuff, too, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless. You want to try everything!
      Well, I do wear shoes when I leave our property. Usually. And yes, of course, I love ankle straps to show off the trim ankles! You got to play up your assets!
      Odour. Favourite.

      Delete
  7. One can be expected, on occasion, to spelh without the correct number of vow ells, musen't one?*

    My only direct experience with graduation is my own (high school) so I tend to get a visual of pre-K grad party as sippy-cups hidden under gowns… hanging out at the swing set yelling out thing (in kindergarten age voices) at the ceremonies…



    *er cherrios!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sippy cups of what exactly, Clark? I bet your was full of water, huh?

      Delete
    2. The pre-k teachers are the ones with the hidden cups, Clark. Or so I've been told....

      Delete
    3. Teachers are always the ones with the hidden cups. They're the ones who truly need them.

      Delete
  8. Hooray for summer and awesome parents/grandparents, it's great their involved and they play games and are FUN! Priceless.
    That is awesome your block has a block party, so great to have social interaction with neighbors. I should probably try that here, but with my neighbors I doubt anyone would show up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am so thankful that I have hands on parents. Makes their visits (and visit to them) so relaxing!
      The block party was a success! We couldn't have asked for better weather.

      Delete
  9. I think pre-k graduation is cute, although from the pre-k teacher's standpoint, it's a whole lot of work! Our graduates wear white caps and gowns, real ones, so no one gets their hat glued to their head, although I have threatened to staple a cap or two to the head of pre-k kids who did everything possible to make their caps fall off. I love your daughter's homemade cap, especially the curling ribbon tassel!
    Now sing with me, "Schoooooools out for summer!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, the line has been running through my head. I thought their caps were precious! But Maggie could hardly keep hers on. Hence her head being tilted down in the photo.

      Delete
  10. My son is having a pre-school graduation this year - I don't know how that compares to pre-k. He is 4, and starts school in September. It's a new thing, I think this is their 2nd year of doing it. I guess it will be fun for them - I guess. I am a little bemused by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about it. But then I got into the spirit of the thing.

      Delete
  11. LOVE!!!! Gosh, we have been in summer mode since before Memorial Day. Can you believe it? BUT- we start school August 13TH!!! Can you believe it?! Oy. Ridiculous.

    SO excited for you to enjoy the neighborhood party, and that you had your wonderful Parents in town and pre-K graduation! Electric toothbrushes! Famer's market goods!

    Your children are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I miss the Southern schedule (is that where you are?) for the early release, but I sure don't mind starting in late August. Thanks for the comment and compliments, Chris!

      Delete
  12. We too finished pre-school this past week and start kindergarten in the fall now. We had orientation though a few weeks ago and go back at the end of August for a walk through and also the bus ride. Just can't believe how quickly this past year went. Happy it is summer though and wishing you a wonderful, summertime week ahead, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember now we have girls the same age. Have a wonderful summer!

      Delete
  13. It is a big accomplishment, so I'm with you--why not?! I don't think we even had kindergarten graduation when I was a kid, although I do remember a small ceremony at the end of elementary school. Your children ARE adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY SUMMER!!!! It's my most favorite time of the year.

    I'm glad you were able to connect with other future kindergarten parents. It will be nice to get to know some of them and the kids to get to know each other a bit before the first day.

    It sounds like you hit the neighborhood jackpot!

    I love it when my mom comes to visit, too. It's like a vacation at our own house.

    Enjoy the sleeping in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pace, but I don't love the heat. Or the humidity here near the banks of the Potomac. Have a lovely week, Christine!

      Delete
  15. I think the pre-K graduation is just fine. Zilla just had her Kindergarten celebration but it wasn't exactly a "graduation" as in no cute caps and gowns like they used to wear. Something about they aren't going anywhere so it's not a graduation...whatever. I feel kinda robbed not to have a photo of my kid in an adorable little mortarboard to hold up next to her high school and college ones...sigh. But the day was lovely anyway and Kidzilla nailed it! Good behavior...did everything the way she was supposed to...all good.
    Happy graduation and happy summer to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too am eager for some slow days and some grandparent time coming up soon! Enjoy summertime! Loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely, happy post full of lovely happy things :) Your preK graduate is as cute as cute can be and her mama looks pretty fine too! That's really interesting about the electric toothbrush. Hope that rhubarb pie was yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yum! Thanks for stopping by, Lizzy!

      Delete
  18. HAPPY! I've been a bit off the grid because my mom was here from Bozeman, MT AND my inlaws from TN for Tucker's bouncehouse party Saturday and his graduation ceremony at school yesterday. Two more days of school for him and then SUMMER. we're going to PA for Thomas the Train day... hopefully fun and not ick.
    Your daughter is absolutely adorable. Congratulations to her and to you AND to your son with the toothbrush stuff! Tucker has a really hard time with the sensory stuff like that but also fell in love w/ his electric one and now will even sortof brush his teeth (no paste). LOVE that it's building language in your little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're having a crazy time of it these days. Hope you get a break soon.

      Delete
  19. Jealous of your CSA box- wish we had something like that here. Maybe we do? I love asparagus!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!