Friday, June 20, 2014

TToT31: Sometimes It's Just Easy

Well, first of all, and this might seem odd because I am not at all involved, I am experiencing vicarious joy at the thought of Lizzi and Christine taking tea together in Merrye Olde England this weekend. Huzzah for meeting bloggy friends!

Aside from that vicarious pleasure, a lot of true loveliness came my way this week and made for a super easy TToT. Forward!

There's an article on Lefty Pop this week, written by Natalie. Excuse me while I get political in my favorite subcategory, but a court in California made the profoundly poor decision of ruling teacher tenure a violation of students' rights. This is yet another stroke against public education in the guise of improvement. When will we stop teacher bashing and consider problem solving using teachers' teachers' experience and input? Even if you don't live in CA, give it a read. Seriously, do it now. This decision will spread.

So why is that on the TToT? I knew about the decision and wanted to write something but knew I didn't have the time. I am so happy Natalie wrote such an excellent article. It's fair and true, true, true. If you doubt whether I am qualified to speak on this subject, please read this true story of union retaliation in the public school system.

And on to lighter subjects...

On the Myers-Briggs, I am a J, which I understand means (in part) that I am more of a finisher than a starter. Working purely from home has brought out the P in me as evidenced by the numerous unfinished projects that litter our office. Nevertheless, it gave me great pleasure be able to finish several projects in the mending pile. Functional sewing is something I'd like to do well, both from an skill point of view and an economic one. I practice on my own clothing, but this week, I mended several items owned by other family members well. If not the on the first go, then the second with no one the wiser. 


I also got to do some fun, creative sewing too. Years ago, I decided I wanted to make my daughter curtains for her room. I had my father sketch out some animals, and then I embroidered them on muslin ("Muslin curtains give the room such an air, don't they?" said Anne Shirley). But we never got around to more than one panel (and I accidentally used the rest of the muslin on another project), and it's been languishing in a closet since we moved, and I just decided it could become a decorative pillow instead. I had to cut off the pig, but he'll find his home in another project down the road.

Moving on, I noticed on facebook this week that an old high school friend commented about our upcoming 20-year reunion. I had never made it on the reunion list, which is not at all surprising considering my high school popularity, and I was not at all bothered since I wouldn't have gone even if I had gotten more than two weeks' notice, but I have 100% enjoyed snooping into the lives of old classmates without having to have any social interaction with them. Facebook makes it easy to be an introvert.

Gosh, I loved that wedding dress. I worked with a dressmaker on it, and my aunt described it as Grace Kelly-esque.
Oh, and Tuesday was Brian's and my wedding anniversary! At seven years' married, he told me, we are now 60% less likely to get divorced. I find it amusing that he thinks statistics might play a role in the longetivity of our relationship, but sure, 20% does sound more promising than 80%.

I remembered that we decided last year that we would save money by skipping anniversary gifts and going out for a nice dinner. But Brian forgot, haha! So in addition to a lovely meal in a snazzy restaurant, I got a new set of playing cards (I believe in having a set of cards on hand at all times) and a new sundress (in the form of a gift card).



And check out the presentation of my bronzini!


Finally, with Brian out of town for a conference and sitter coming tomorrow morning so I can go swimsuit shopping alone (oh, the freedom and solitude), I am getting much needed quiet time in preparation for a week of company. I am going to love seeing our visitors, but it's going to drain me of all my social juices within hours.

P.S. I've been reading up on Clark's Doctrine this week, and I made an effort to show all three sides in this post. How did I do?


Link up here to share your weekly gratitude!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

41 comments :

  1. Happy Anniversary to you! Our 8th wedding anniversary is next month and my 20th high school reunion is next year. By the way, I was not at all popular either, so trust me when I say I hope I will be left off that list, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we have kids around the same age. I often feel that sense of similar timing when reading your posts.

      Delete
  2. wow... congrats on the lessening of divorce stats! ... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Your wedding pictures are beautiful! I can see why you loved the dress so much! I am off to read Nat's article... I had read the one you wrote a while back and YUP YOU ARE QUALIFIED!!!! Also I am such a food virgin... bronzini? I am gonna google after the article... Have a great weekend, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents who kept our food options pretty broad. And then I continued in that trend. So glad you read Nat's article!

      Delete
  3. lost comment... I did the bronzini first... who knew... this looked great! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/pan-roasted-bronzini-on-a-carnaroli-rice-parmigiano-reggiano-and-arugula-risotto-with-a-provencal-sauce-recipe.html

    also meant to say the pillow is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Thanks for the pillow compliment!

      Delete
  4. Teacher tenure is a violation of student rights now?! Wow.
    Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former teacher myself, I empathise with your feelings about teacher bashing. I wonder when they'll start seeing things from the other side of the classroom. We have the same problem in Singapore too, which was why I turned to freelance writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for finding something that made you happier. I taught in KL, and it was the first time that I realized how respected teachers are in other cultures (because I taught at the International School).

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! And congrats on 7 years.
    I'm glad you are enjoying the photos of Lizzi and my meetup. For the record, I was not drunk! :)
    Love the playing cards. I always have a deck in my purse. Great thing to have when unexpectedly delayed and the kids are getting squirrelly.
    Have a great time with your guests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, if you say so.... Just kidding. I believe you.
      You would have a deck of cards! So glad you understand why it's important!

      Delete
  7. Former teacher - yes we honor the physical prowess of our athletes, and the craft of our actors, with loads and loads of financial reward. The teacher gets flak. It's time we (collectively) honor intelligence and dedication that way, or at least duly respected. End of soap box rant. Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you can soapbox like that all you want around here. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I love the pillow, and I love that your dad sketched out the animals. What a treasure!
    My high school reunion (30th, not 20th) is happening this summer also. I won't be able to attend, but like you, I'm enjoying catching up a bit through facebook.
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you get it, Kristi! There's significance there in that pillow.

      Delete
  9. Oh I love that pillow!!! Congrats on your anniversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary to you both. You look absolutely stunning in that dress.

    I'm glad you had such a lovely set of things to be thankful for, and that Natalie wrote an article which needed writing. She's great like that.

    Those cards are AWESOME and I'm glad you loved your dinner out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, those cards are really great! I love having little items around that carry great significance. The cards, the pillow, etc.

      Delete
  11. First, happy anniversary to you and the Dude! We just passed 10 years in December...ask him what our stats are. :)
    The pillow is great. I am not a seamstress by any stretch. I can do a couple of functional tasks just well enough to avoid needing a tailor for every little repair, but the pillowcase is something I would not dream of! It's just adorable!
    I have to refrain from entering the teacher article conversation. Today is not the day to talk to me about under-appreciated teachers or violating students' rights (please!) or anything else school-politics related. Another time...
    High school reunions...hmm...I have yet to attend one and I'm out over 25 years. I guess I just am far too much of an introvert to do one of those!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I spaced out writing this - I only put like half of what I wanted to in here. What the...?
      Card - yes, always should be a deck around. The Hub and I actually have (how silly) a pretty huge collection of playing cards. Of course, we used to play a lot more frequently when we were first married and then the Kidzilla happened. But we're starting to teach her some games and I think we may start breaking out the deck a little more often. Yours are by far the coolest I've seen!
      Your dress, also, and the wedding photo are oh so sweet - again the best and happiest anniversary to you both!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I used to like the cards around for a quick game of Solitaire, but now with kids...there's always 52 Pick-Up. Ugh, I hope nothing new has happened in the school arena. At least now you've got the summer! Thanks for the compliments and good wishes!

      Delete
  12. YOU HAD TO CUT OFF THE PIG?!
    Happy anniversary! I LOVE your dress, and yes, it is very Grace Kelly-esque! Beautiful bride! And the cards? Fantastic!
    I also love creeping on people via social media!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor pig. I'm surprised Christine didn't give me a hard time!

      Delete
  13. Happy Anniversary! I went to my 20th reunion and it was better than I thought, but I must say I'm not unhappy that I will be out of town for my 25th. And my husband is even happier - I dragged him with me the last time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, my brother went with his high school girlfriend. They left their current partners at home and had a great time. That's the way to do it.

      Delete
  14. A very happy anniversary to you and the Dude! I guess you can breathe a little easier now that those divorce stats are lower! Ha! Thank you for sharing the wedding photo and, yes, the dress is fabulous. You look beautiful! I really like those playing cards, too. What a clever gift idea...I will have to remember that. I would say you did a find job on the pillow. It is adorable. I'm ashamed to say I can do little more than sew on a button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the compliments and good wishes, Sandy!

      Delete
  15. Your wedding dress and photos are gorgeous and I'm jealous you sew. I got a D in 7th grade home ec b/c of a dumb pillow I didn't finish and never really went back. Happy anniversary to you!! And the teacher bashing does have to go although I know that when I had a horrible experience with one, that it made it much harder for my dad to get her in trouble - but again, she was the .000001% that truly should never have been a teacher. My mom was a teacher for 25 years and a principal after that - I'll have to read this article you're talking about. And dude! You rocked at all three! You were Scott, Roger and Clark! And here's to internet stalking our reunions. I haven't been to any of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there are terrible teachers in the system, and they should be fired. I said it! Sometimes I should talk to you about IMPACT in DCPS and how that works. It's actually kind of effective. In DCPS!

      Delete
  16. lol… you did very well!
    (In contrast to, say, the Oscar Meyers system), the Doctrine is not only fun… but since we all have the potential of (all three worldviews)… like, a new deck of playing cards while each game has the same elements, different configurations yield different outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those cards are so sweet! I love your wedding picture, too - so glad your shared it here. In NJ we have a governor who has been villlifying public school teachers and state workers for the past 5 years. It's been terrible for our teachers and students. It's good to see the union fighting them. Happy Anniversary and congrats on lowering your risk of divorce ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I know about CC. A terrible year and more. And more to come. It's a rough time to be a teacher, but at least we don't live in NC anymore.

      Delete
  18. I'm not sure what bronzini is but it sure does look good! Making my way around finally to read as many TToT's as I can this week. Better late than never as they say :) Happy belated anniversary. Love the pillow and your wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lame as all get out this last week. I'm turning over a new leaf this week!

      Delete
  19. GOR.GEOUS dress! And husby looked pretty damn snazzy himself. Happy Anniversary. :)

    oh lord, I avoid all reunions. Too shy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a treat to hear from you, Bethie! Husby (as Lizzi says) loves his seersucker.

      Delete
  20. Happy Anniversary---- what a lovely pillow. I tried sewing hems last week on three sundresses I cut the first hem, but I was not able to pin it the material was not holding the hem up ...after wasting a good 30 minutes I gave up called my mom and she will do it for me...your wedding dress is stunning ,,,very classy. have a wonderful 4th :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have your mother to help out! Thanks for the compliments.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!