Friday, June 27, 2014

TToT32: After the Storm

By my husband's calculations, I have slept 26 of the last 48 hours. Since I refuse to calculate sleep hours and prefer to operate based on how well-rested I feel (not quite there yet, but on my way), I cannot verify his calculations. Plus, I think they are somewhat influenced by his bitterness in not sleeping as much, and he's unaware of the hour or two I read blog posts in the middle of every night because I seem to no longer be able to sleep straight through any longer. But I will say I have slept a lot in the last couple of days.

On the surface, I am sleeping off the exhaustion of having three sets of visitors in the last two weeks, two sets back to back. While those guests played soccer in our front yard, I washed bed and bath linens and did quick clean-up of the guest room. We've gone through an absurd amount of fruit and beer in this house in the last week. But still, I wouldn't trade away those visits. It was the first time we got to see some old friends since we moved from Asheville, and it was a breath of fresh hippie air in our house. We talked and laughed about old friends in common and hilarious old stories that are always worth a retell, and we played sightseers in DC.

Our first guests brought us these tastes of Asheville and great joy to my tastebuds (I could (and do) eat that mustard with a spoon),

and our second set included an old friend for whom we owe depths of gratitude for being one of the primary people who got us (both of us, but Brian, especially) through the 2011-2012 school year. I write, without reservation, that this man is among the finest on Earth. Visiting, reminiscing, and laughing with him was a much anticipated treat for both of us after two years.

And, though I generally don't do so well with people in my personal space, sapping my social energies (no matter how much I enjoy their company), I really think I held together quite well. I didn't get snappish, and I wasn't itching for any of them to take their leave. Really quite astonishing.

But even all that doesn't account for my 20+ hours of sleep. As I generally only realize in hindsight, this spring was...intense. We had a lot of big stuff going on. In the moment, it seems like daily life, and you muddle through somehow (as the song goes, though it's not Christmas). You find your ten things of thankful every week (even if that's all you write for weeks on end) and file away all your other ideas (because time and energy are scarce).

And then school lets out and you all of a sudden find you're having a panic attack at an extremely inopportune moment, and think, "This hyperventilation/ugly crying cannot just be because I'm finding it hard to sing Route 66." And then visitors arrive to distract you, and when they go, you collapse and sleep for 20+ hours in two days. And wake up feeling like you just had a massive emotional release after holding it together since March.

So, there's that to be thankful for. Plus, all the ideas I filed away.

And, finally, before the SGV complain, I will dance for them in my new swimsuit, which I found after many hours searching and trying, searching and trying, and I think is a healthy cross between sexy and matronly, if such a thing exists. And I'm baring my tummy in all its tubby glory (because I just prefer two pieces) after reading the prompting of oh, so many mommy blog posts on the indignity of swimsuits and the anguish of shopping for them and the necessity of confidence to just bare all that jiggly flesh. I'd post a pic, but I'll save the experience for my family.

Speaking of, must go pack for our trip to NC for my nephew's birthday this weekend! No rest for the (very nearly) well-rested.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

44 comments :

  1. have a good and lovely, and happy and birthdayeee and safe trip this weekend! Bring you swim suit and bare it all! How nice to have so many guests and not grow weary of so many guests... I get that completely!!!! Hey just an FYI cuz Im a research geek ( my secondary roger is a nightmare..ahem) there are studies that show that the light from your electronics is enough to give you insomnia if viewed during broken sleep... something called blue light.. I can look up the research if you want...happy to! I found that when I stopped opening my phone or lap top in the dark middle of the night my insomnia improved... not so much broken sleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to even being familiar with this research, Zoe. Shame on me. But then, I wake up, toss and turn, and think, "Why not just do a little reading since I'm up anyway?" I should pick up a book instead, shouldn't I?

      Delete
    2. HEY I WAS FRIST!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!! And who knows if it all turns out like oatbran research (...and its not so good for your heart afterall! lol) Do what ya wanna do!!!!

      Delete
    3. That light thing is completely true - and when I cut that light from our bedroom, I started to actually get some sleep again! I won't likely get rid of my insomnia completely, but making those changes with the light/electronics made a vast and almost instant improvement.

      Delete
    4. I'm listening, you insomniacs, I'm listening.

      Delete
  2. Pffft as they say, pics or it didn't happen :)

    (Nah - I trust you managed to find a perfect combo of sexy and matronly (even if that idea boggles the mind) because you met GLENNON and she is amazing and YOU wouldn't dare to lie having met someone so awesome)

    I'm really pleased you've had that moment of *exhale*, especially if you've been holding it together for SO long! Wow! I'm glad for you.

    And lookit YOUUUU fristing all over the place tonight :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I FRISTed like a mad woman Friday night.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like exciting two weeks.
    I'd like to see your new swim suit.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent Lizzi a pic, Romi. Want to send me your email address?

      Delete
  4. Oh, Amy. We hold it together so well DURING the stress. It's afterward that we crash! Sounds like life is going to flow a whole lot better for you. Ha, ha about the swim suit shopping - my two pieces cover the Mommy-middle.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm feeling a whole lot better now.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a blast and more fun yet to come. No better way to start the summer off. Have a great time at the birthday party and a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday party was wonderful! I am just loving this summer so far.

      Delete
  6. Nice jug ;) Having company IS stressful, even for us Scotts! I feel like I could sleep for 20 hours, so good for you, and your amazing husband for letting that happen. Because that? Would NOT fly up in here :) I'm a light sleeper, so I'm totally jelly you were able to make that happen. By that I mean I'm HAPPY for you! It's great to see friends, the longer you've known them the better. It's amazing to see how people change and grow over the years, and then you have the same jokes. That's great. Yay for summer, and no homework! No more kids, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks. And finding a good swimsuit, is priceless! (Except they're usually super expensive. But worth it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! jug! I see... (for a minute there, I was all... 'well, she is from Chicago)

      Delete
    2. Clark, I was with you, and loving it, considering that is a compliment I NEVER get. But that IPA from the Wedge is also quite wonderful.

      Delete
  7. First, your house is very pretty; I need to go clean mine. My kids have destroyed the living room, kitchen, family room, bathroom, well, all of it.
    I hope all that sleep will keep that nasty ol' stress at bay. Back to back company, no matter how much you enjoy them, is harrrrd. And your IEP stuff is over and it's summer and don't forget the lyrics are "Well it goes through Saint Louis, Joplin, Missouri." (That's the only line I know but also the only one I NEED to know.)
    I wonder the percentage of women who actually find a swimsuit that (a) fits them (b) is flattering (c) is reasonably priced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love that you commented on the Rte 66 part. I'm sorry, but my part doesn't sing about Joplin. We get Gallup, NM, though.
      The bottoms of my suit were on sale for $21! Amazing! I won't comment on the price of the top.

      Delete
  8. I myself am a fan of the tankini, the two piece that covers the flabby middle, but still makes it easier to pee. I'm sure you look amazing in your suit - we are our own harshest critics. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! I am envious of other peoples' bodies, and I'm sure they're judging themselves.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing how that "let down" crash and burn happens!! Women operate so well for so long- and as soon as we are able to relax and rest- it HITS us HARD! Good for YOU for getting caught up on your sleep and rejuvenating yourself. It looks like you will need it for your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my example kind of fit in with your post this week, huh?

      Delete
  10. Ergh. I do not like Blogger's comment system sometimes-- it ate my comment.

    I'm sure my wife, Cimmorene, can empathize with the swimsuit shopping. And, I need to look again and figure out how to include the link cluster in my posts. Often, I am lazy and use the Zemanta extension to do that (although I can't get specific posts, just whatever it recommends).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jak, this comment is just zooming over my low-tech blogger head.

      Delete
  11. (nice abbreviationing! SGV...that is the fun of this bloghop*)

    anxiety is a funny thing (no, not ha ha funny) zoe and I were actually talking about it last night on the vidchat... about how it sneaks up on us and tries to trick us into reacting in a way that actually reinforces it (the shallow breathing, the overly focused attention on body parts)... pretty darn tricky

    * no, not the entire fun, but a lot of the fun... is in knowing that there are Seven GuardVirgins who maintain the traditions while wearing god know what...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had been a part of that conversation. Anxiety is something I've been contemplating quite a bit lately. Posts on it forthcoming.

      Delete
  12. I hope you get all caught up on your sleep soon. I'm a big believer in sleep!

    I love your description of the swimsuit. I think there's a market for clothes that are a cross between sexy and matronly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep is a biggie, isn't it? I need sleep more than I need food.

      Delete
  13. Telling ya, finely brewed beer and mustard on a delish sausage sounds pretty good to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are kindred spirits, I tell you...the part about people sapping your energy, holding it together from about yes, March, because you just have to keep on going, then the anxiety and crying over things that make absolutely no sense...the crash, the sleep, the whole thing...I could have written about three paragraphs of this in nearly identical words. I'm finally getting to the part where it's starting to pass - I forgot what day/date it was today. Finally. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call us Anne and Diana. Bosom buddies. I'm not a bit surprised you've been feeling the same. And I had that moment of not knowing the day last week. Such relaxation!

      Delete
  15. I am in a state of total understanding when it comes to having people in my personal space. I am married to a man whose family obviously has no clue what that is and so in past years I have had to deal with a lot of boundary breaking. I'm a little more assertive about it now. You have had quite the spring so your body obviously sent you a message...you should listen to it. It is good that you fared well with your guests, I hope you have a fantastic vacation and...do you really eat mustard from a spoon?? I like mustard but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That actually sounds a lot like my family! I don't mind them in my personal space, and I am lucky to have married an extrovert who loves the company. "She'll have a booming, boisterous family who will descend on your en masse." Are you a My Fair Lady fan?

      Delete
  16. Wow. Your body was clearly done. I'm thinking your husband saw it and knew you needed the sleep, too. Glad you had the chance to get refreshed.
    Swimsuit shopping sucks. I go the tanking route. I wasn't comfortable wearing a bikini when I was 20 and perfectly built. Sexy and matronly is exactly what I want!
    I love having company, but it really does wear a person out. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and yes, Brian gets some credit. Good job reminding me. I love having a bare belly so I'm just going with it.

      Delete
  17. Everyone deserves a day of rest after such a busy few months! Glad you got all rested up for the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good thing. This summer has been and will be BUSY!

      Delete
  18. Sounds like this was a super fun time. I love the pic of the guys doing the chest bump. I was thinking when I saw that, I wonder if they had to do that a few times for her to catch them mid air. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course! I probably took about 15, but that was the best one.

      Delete
  19. Sometimes the most fun things are the most exhausting, as your body was clearly telling you! Glad you had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must try to pay attention the messages our bodies are sending us, huh?

      Delete
  20. Dude! First, your husband gets an extra dessert or some sex or something for letting you sleep. Mine lets me sleep each weekend (one day usually, sometimes, both) but my problem is that I stay up until 2am and then sleeping until 10 is "normal" ish... What I need to do is to go to bed at 11 and sleep until 11. That would be the test, and it sounds like you nailed it. Also, you so deserved it. Seriously. Having guests from out of town, no matter how loved, is exhausting and exhausting. I love mustard. We MUST get together. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! He'll love your comment! I've been staying WAY too late lately, and as you said, sleeping in just makes it to normal. I must make myself go to bed early tonight.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!