Saturday, July 5, 2014

TToT33: Summer Days


Happy Birthday, USA! You may be out of the World Cup, but you're still my favorite country of which I am a citizen. Actually, you're even better than that, but I must admit I've been a trifle grumpy with you this week (see me on Facebook). At least, we still have the eloquence of the Notorious RBG.

Speaking of the World Cup, I'm not much of a sports fan. I can't say I've ever watched more than five minutes of a televised soccer game in my life. But, for some reason, I tuned in this year, and I am impressed. The moves on those men! I appreciate that it's a fast-moving game without annoying time outs, but most of all, I find the grace and athleticism of the players is absolutely riveting. And then there's Tim Howard. Did you know that the Secretary of Defense's Wikipedia page was briefly changed to identify the Secretary as Tim Howard? He earned it.

Do you think there is a higher percentage of heavily tattooed soccer players than in other sports? It seems like there might be.

Last weekend, we traveled to NC for my nephew's 4th birthday. It took us TEN HOURS to drive 250 miles (more or less). I'm more of a getinthecaranddrivetilwe'rethere kind of girl, and Brian's more of let'sstopforadrinkofwatereverytenminutes kind of guy. And then there was the car trouble. BUT, we found the most amazing little Sunoco that secured our bumper back on for twenty dollars. With a bonus of clean bathrooms and two lollipops for the kids while we sat there and waited through the three attempts to get the bumper secure.

And the party was thoroughly delightful with its fun Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme. Here's a picture of my sister and me enmasked.


And I made some time to make another throw pillow so the poor excluded pig could be displayed. It got more and more intricate as I went along, but I am excited to have tried out some of the decorative stitching options my machine offers.


And, finally, the next set of wonderful, dear friends are coming to stay next week. Just another set of folks who have gone above and beyond for my little family in times of misery and need. My daughter has a plush unicorn named Janet Horse (some confusion over the animal there) for good reason.

And then, no sooner do they take off towards the end of the week than the kids and I head to the Lone Star State for our annual summer vacation. Next TToT from Tejas!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

24 comments :

  1. Ohhh the little piggie cushion is adorable. You're doing so well at all this sewing malarkey :D GOOD FOR YOU.

    Your sister and you have the same smile but different eyes.

    I love Maggie's look of surprise and concentration with that sparkler, and I'm glad she has Janet Horse, and that you (presumably) have Janet. I hope the visit goes well.

    I don't make stops unless I have to. I'd always rather get there than faff around. Sounds like you had a LOT of driving to do. No small journey, and they always make you tired, huh?

    Thoughts are just falling from my head now.

    I want to know when you and Lisa are going to have coffee.

    Looks like rain here. Blech :(

    Happy Fourth x

    (I didn't see why you were grumpy at 'merica, but I will go and research)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sewing malarkey"?
      Actually, I think we've learned to smile the same (meaning: big) (from our mother), but not one of our features is the same. We've been told we look alike to identical all our lives. So funny.
      I do have Janet. And Sarah as well.
      Not too bad for a 'Merican. You Brits don't know long distances.
      We're having coffee wherever Hubs makes it, as far as I'm concerned.
      If you didn't find, see SCOTUS, specifically Sam Alito.

      Delete
  2. The young people are adorable, and your throw pillow is lovely.
    Have a nice trip to Tejas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Romi! Especially from another sewist!

      Delete
  3. I am so jealous of people who can sew... Im lucky to be able to tie my shoe... cant do nuttin with no string! LOVE the piggie!

    my goodness you and your sister have the same smile...its radiant! Even in masks you look alike!

    and as always ... my oh my that child is adorable!!!! Have fun with your guests and safe travels!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Zoe, you have such amazing, creative skills, I can hardly imagine how you could be jealous of me!
      We learned that big smile from our mother. I think that's what makes people say we look alike, though none of our features are the same. Pour those compliments of my children on!

      Delete
  4. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle party looks like a lot of fun, and your pig pillow is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So everybody took the stuff I was going to say already...
    Love the piggy pillow.
    Love Maggie zeroed in on that sparkler - reminds me of long ago Fourth of July nights when we ran around with sparklers and chased lightning bugs. Sigh. I've been having a lot of that nostalgia thing lately. Wonder what that's about?
    Yay for Janet Horse and the reason the unicorn has such a name - sounds like a super friend to me.
    And yes, you and your sister have the same awesome smile. My smile is goofy. I think this is why I prefer to be grumpy. :D
    Safe travels to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the nostalgia comes from all that purging. I want to see your smile!

      Delete
  6. I am so not a getinanddriveuntilwegetthere kind of gal. I was laughing as I read this, as this weekend I made a 6 hour drive into 9. Gotta stop and see the parks/lakes/playgrounds and anything else that catches the eye. :)
    Our tv has been on for almost every single World Cup game. Bryan and I even watched the games every night while we were in Europe. The kids are loving it, too. The "flopping" annoys me, but the games are fun to watch.
    Maggie's expression is precious.
    Sounds like your summer is full of all sorts of visiting with people. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what kind of traveler you are; I've read your blog posts!
      It's been a great summer so far!

      Delete
  7. Sewing is a skill I have yet to mastered (though I did once try last year, taking a class and EVERYTHING) - the pillow is lovely.

    But I adore the TMNT theme for the party and the masks - such a great idea! - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun party. Did you make something in your class?

      Delete
  8. road trip! (tend to do them alone or with one person and one dog) so they might be more….speedy, but (for me) nothing better than to get in the car and hit the road!
    mid point in the Summer….damn! is it me or is time speeding up (again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was young and single, I loved getting in the car and driving cross the country. Loved it. Now with kids, not so much.

      Delete
  9. Oh, the piggy found a place on a pillow and he looks adorable! Good work!
    You and your sister have the same smile.
    I'll be in Texas next week, too! Leaving the 13th for Galveston.
    Did the bumper fall off all by itself or have a little help?
    I don't give a rip about soccer players, and I'm not much of a fan of tattoos, but I sure saw some hot, tattooed soccer players over the past week or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian has a tendency to hit curbs so it was loose. Not really falling off, but making a racket. Have fun in Galveston!

      Delete
  10. A happy b'day to the US of A!! And so great to have a neff born this weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely a "get me there as quickly as possible without stopping" kind of girl too. Glad you got the bumper back on though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 10 hours to get to NYC? UGH (and sorry I missed this last week - my wifi in our hotel was horrible and then of course been catching up on blogs since then and really that means not catching up at all because work, kid, and having to go see fireflies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Winston Salem, NC. Listen, you don't need to apologize to me. I've been the world's worst TToT host this summer. I can't quite understand how I can't find time in the SUMMER, but there it is.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!