Friday, August 1, 2014

TToT: Shaking the Dust of This Town Off My Feet...

I am not home; I am high up in the Appalachians sans cell phone service. I hear the house has wifi, but eh...I have my doubts about its reliability. I've lived in Appalachia, and I know how weak signals can be. We'll see. If I comment on your post over the weekend, you'll know I was proven wrong.

source

1. I will be spending the weekend with my parents, siblings, and the families we've produced this weekend, and I could not be more excited. We get together in larger family groups with aunts, uncles, and cousins fairly often, and we get together with my parents and one other sibling Pretty regularly too, but the original five of us together in in one place for several days? We haven't done that in years.

2.  I won't have the distraction of my online world of friends, as much as I love it. I won't have to force myself to ignore it because it will simply be inaccessible. I will be able to devote my attention to the people near me.

3. We will eat very, very well. I have been baking the last few days so we'll have breakfast foods and snacks on hand, we're bringing all kinds of delightful junk, and we will eat some really fine and fancy meals, prepared by ourselves and others. Good food gets me excited. I am going to throw all my healthy eating habits out the window and just enjoy. Who am I kidding? I threw my good habits out the window months ago and have the waistline to prove it. But I won't think about adopting them again until next week.

4. We will play many, many games. Some will take them seriously, some will not (that's me). We will laugh and laugh at the same jokes we've been telling for years. Some (I) will laugh to tears. There will be joy and pain in it, and it will be delightful.

5. We will be in my beloved mountains. They will refresh me and fill me up with happiness. We will hike up rocky trails shaded with ancient trees and slide down rocks into freezing rivers. We will get our clothes wet and muddy. It will be cool in the mornings and evenings, and we'll need our sweatshirts.

6. One night only the adults will go out to dinner.

7. Our children will play together. My adult niece will read to her young cousins. My older nephew will direct my daughter in play until she's reached her limit of cooperating. The two youngest will mainly parallel play. There will be plenty of whining and squabbles over toys, but there will be more laughter.

8. We may revert to our old roles. My brother may get bossy and demanding; I may cry because somebody hurt my feelings; and my sister may demand all our attention with her silliness. But then we'll think better of ourselves. We'll laugh about how easy it is to fall back into those roles and know we know better without having to apologize.

9. I won't have to be anyone but myself. I won't have to curb a momentary spark of impatience or keep being social when I just need to replenish myself with some alone time. The others will understand and no one's feelings will get hurt. And I will do the same for everyone else. 

10. But we'll mostly laugh. And it won't be hard because these are the people I love best in all the world.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

36 comments :

  1. WHat a great time you are heading for! Holey Cow... have a blast! I like getting together with the sibs but this sounds extra special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was, Zoe. Thanks for the positive wishes!

      Delete
  2. Aww, enjoy your weekend with your family and sounds quite perfect to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time with your family in the beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful family vacation. Your mountains, my beach. Ahhhhhh! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm just not a beach girl. But I do love my mountains.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like bonding!! Enjoy yourself up there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the internet ate my comment.
    Sigh..
    Or it didn't...
    did it?
    Such a jerk lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poop! I think it did! Thanks for stopping by, though.

      Delete
  7. Ohhhh it sounds SO beautiful :D Enjoy all of it and see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I found a little missive from you when I got back! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Ugh - I came over here to link up. Got distracted and read your post. Left a comment (which is now gone?) and totally forgot to link up. Hope you are having a wonderful and peaceful time! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something is seriously wrong with the commenting around here lately. I keep hearing they got eaten! Boo.

      Delete
  9. Oh, how I enjoy a good mountain vacation. The Appalachians are a great place to take a vacation. Enjoy!

    I can't really imagine all of my siblings taking a trip together with our families. While we have fun when we are together for a day, it would go downhill pretty fast. I'm praying that my kids will want to take trips like this when they are grown and have families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perfect kind, Christine! Maybe it works because our families are smaller--two kids max? Fewer people to squeeze in together, less toe stomping upon (some, but less).

      Delete
  10. Your weekend sounds like heaven. The Appalachians are beautiful, you are so lucky to have so many memories from there. Your family sounds wonderful as well. Enjoy your wifi weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pattie. I love Appalachia, too.

      Delete
  11. I think that your week sounds like just about the best thing EVAH! And yes, we all revert to our child selves when we are with our siblings, I totally agree!
    The Appalachians look much like the Ozarks, only taller and a little more of them. Those are the kinds of mountains that feel like "home" to me, too, although I think the Rockies are nothing short of spectacular.
    I hope you are getting lots of food, lots of fun, lots of relaxation, and that you beat your brother at at least one game (spoken from the little sister of a brother who always outsmarted her).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was truly delightful, Dyanne, despite the inevitable reversions. I agree with you about the Appalachians and the Ozarks. I love the Ozarks, too, even though I recognize the Rockies are more spectacular.
      I can't remember if I beat him in a game or not. But that's good. I let go thinking too much about it years ago because, well, I can't compare.

      Delete
  12. Hope you are having a wonderful time. That picture is just beautiful, so I'm not surprised you love those mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful time! You paint such a beautiful picture with your words. Enjoy your time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a mighty welcome compliment, Kristi! Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Sarah! I hope you are having the best time! I get excited about good food too...have a little for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some good food for you and several other people, too, Sandy. Diet time.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm gearing up for a similar trip next week and am looking forward to reconnecting with family, getting some alone time, disconnecting -- and games, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AW!!!! I just love this post and LOVE that you are going to spend QUALITY time with your favorite and most loved people in the world!! Resorting to old roles- ah yes....always happens doesn't it?

    Laugh, breathe, eat, and be YOU in all your glory... amidst your beloved mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! You have such a way with encouragement!

      Delete
  17. Hope you had a great time :) The role thing is so true - it happens with my sisters and I all the time but I end up being referee more than anything else, lol. Great list and have a great one Sarah! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iva. I'm not the referee; I'm the one who gets teased because it's too easy to push my buttons. But it was still great!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!