Saturday, August 9, 2014

TToT38: Finding the Grateful

Well, this has been a downer of a week. Sad, unexpected news, gripiness and grumpiness, unnecessary drama, you name it. Plus, for the first time this summer, I came home from a trip and had no other event to look forward to. The summer is winding down. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's been nice to not be under laundry or housecleaning pressure, but it's also been a bit depressing. And going back to nonvacation eating is definitely depressing.

So on to the thankfuls:

To go back a week or two, I have a new computer! It's so pretty and clean and light! That's probably a full ten in itself to be able to type on a laptop that doesn't lose battery power in less than an hour with a mouse pad that is actually functional.

Another free CSA box. No need to say more, huh?

Skip and the chickens sent me cheer-up texts this week! I am honored, let me tell you.

The tomatoes are ripening at a rapid rate. That can actually turn into a burden as I have to spend so much time chopping and freezing, but that's just ungrateful, so I didn't even write it.

I joined Instagram, and I'm really not sure why it's taken me so long. Find me there; I'm amycakedude.

As I posted on Facebook, when an old friend mentions she's heading for DC, I starting hounding said friend until she finds a time for us to meet. Fair warning, Facebook friends! And this visit was super fun because this was an old friend I'd gone to high school and one year of college with but not seen since. I got to spend some time last evening with her and her husband, who was truly hilarious.


We met my daughter's PT at a local shoe store this morning and got the kiddoes each a new pair of sneakers. We're down $250 for the shoes and two pairs of insoles (which are the pricier of the two items) to support their poor, pronated ankles, but I do think it's money well spent. The people we worked with are experts, and I am confident my children are wearing the supportive footwear they need. As a person who gets excited about anything new, this purchase has fed my shopping urge for the time being. And there's not much cuter than tiny sneakers, are there?


Between the new computer and the Swingster strut I learned in high school, I'm pretty sure I can appease the SGV with this list.

How about you? Can you appease them?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

31 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear that your return to reality isn't all sunshine, glitter and rainbows. I'm glad you had texts from Skipster and the chickens to see you through.

    The baby trainers are SOCUTE (whats a prothingied ankle? Do I need to Google this?)

    I'm so happy you got to meet up with your friend again. That's very cool. I wanna meet up with you *pouts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it ever? I don't think you need to google pronated ankle. Their ankles sort of roll inwards giving them the look of extremely flat feet. We were always told Maggie's physical delays were influenced by this. Leo doesn't have physical delays so now that we know he has the same ankles, I kind of wonder why he could have done and how fast.
      Hey, I have an idea! Let's meet up in September or October!

      Delete
  2. OMG!!! Even the sneakers of those kiddos are cute!!! What the heck!? Skip and the girls were honored... today... chased off the biggest fox I have EVER seen... holy cow... he started coming for skip when I yelled and started running toward it across the yard... had to go back and grab him fast before he became an hor derve ( spelling? who knows?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fox story was something else, Zoe. I'm just sad there's no pic. You know, I couldn't spell that word without looking it up. I recently saw it spelled wrong on the menu for my high school reunion (posted on facebook), and I was highly annoyed. I have to look it up, but I would have done so instead of just guessing!

      Delete
  3. You had some good fun stuff this week in spite of the week being somewhat of a downer. New sneakers make me happy and there is nothing better than reconnecting with long time friends. Send some of those tomatoes my way. I'll take care of them for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New sneakers for you, too! Awww, Val, you can have some! Want to come over?

      Delete
  4. Very cute sneakers, but sorry about the sticker price, but still I can't help, but love them. And I just totally friended you on Instagram and so glad you joined now, too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Janine! I look forward to the photos of your sweet girls (and dog). What annoys me is the $80 price tag on those insoles. That's the main thing, and then I get talked into pricey sneakers because my kids "need the support." Ugh.

      Delete
  5. Lovely sneakers and yee haw about the computer! Will stalk you on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your list with beautiful photos. The sneakers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miniature things are just stinkin cute, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. omg those sneakers are adorable - instagram is fun w (wished i used more too) its always fun catching up with a friend - have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to join instagram one of these days. I'll look you up when I do. Love those sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instagram is so much fun. Glad to see you're jumping on board.
    Shoes are so expensive, especially when you need insoles or have teenagers with gigantic feet. As much as I hate to see them grow, I am looking forward to the day when their feet stop.
    I'll be sure to let you know if/when I ever head to DC. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for you, Christine. I always like your photos. And then I can check on your travels.
      I do NOT look forward to those teenage years. Maybe they won't need the $80 insoles by then?

      Delete
  10. Sarah, so sorry to hear the week started out so badly.
    I saw that you joined Instagram and I'm following you! I haven't been on it as much as usual lately but I think I've really just been in a social media funk at the end of this summer.
    I know what you mean about it being a little depressing, the end of the season. While I'm ready for the kids to go back to school, I just sat down and realized today that it indicates passage of time. Time that is flying by so quickly.
    I have to straighten up in the eating department, too. I have not been a very good girl these last few weeks and it's showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your photos! Yay!
      Such mixed feelings, huh? As usual, I am looking forward to a change, but I hate to note the passage of time.

      Delete
  11. Yah for the new computer! I felt exactly the same as you when I joined instragram ... I'm off to find you on there now :) Loving tiny sneakers over here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yay for a new computer and yay for Instagram!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Ah, yay!!! There I am!!!!
      Well, I have nothing to say because I put in all the emails, I guess.
      But the kid shoes are cute - and school shoes are just so much more wonderful than new shoes at any other time of year.

      Delete
  13. It worked! It worked! And there is something magical about back to school shoes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, tiny sneakers. That don't stink. I miss those! I'm sorry you've had a downer of a week, Sarah - hope this one is off to a better start!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some snazzy purple kicks! My daughter's ankles do the same thing (not terribly badly), but they didn't always, so we took her for PT. Bought expensive orthotics. She does not do her PT, does not wear the expensive orthotics and probably has no idea where they even are. Sigh.
    Sorry you've had a bad week. Wish I could make it all better for you.
    The picture of you and your friend is really lovely! You both look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They're hilarious, aren't they? And they glow in the dark! She asked for ones that light up, but those don't come with laces, and she needs laces.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!