Friday, August 15, 2014

TToT39: Guts

I hate this week's guts! That was a thing when I was kid--to hate the guts of whatever or whoever had earned your disdain.

I hate this last week's guts. Literally.

It started out positive enough. We hatched a plan to travel to Williamsburg to stay at my in-laws' time-share that they are unable to use this year. A fun and cheap vacation since we could pack up the contents of our fridge as well as our closets. We arrived without incident and spent one day relaxing, swimming in the pool, etc. and the next touring about. Maggie wanted to climb ladders on ships so we headed to Jamestown (cue photos)

and celebrated escape from those oppressive Brits.
Looking at YOU, Lizzi!


Then rode a ferry

and even ate out. I ordered this quite astonishing fried meal and ate about 1/4 of it (all of the fried okra--because who doesn't love fried okra?).

Definite thankfulness here.

But during the during of all this, I received a solid one-two to the gut with two emails from someone I trusted. I voluntarily showed my underbelly and received punches in return. I was good and winded, let me tell you. But I'll find some thankful. A good life lesson: you cannot expect more than a person is willing to give. You may be willing to give more, and it may be heartbreaking to find the other person is not willing to give the same, but there's nothing to be done about that. It's too bad that's a lesson that doesn't stick. You relearn it in every instance. A little self-pity? Perhaps.

Robin Williams' death. It is clear I am not alone in being surprised by the impact a celebrity's death had on me. And I don't need to go into the reasons because they're the same as everyone else's: we all knew he struggled with depression, his career spanned my life so his movies had an impact on my formative years, the recent disclosure he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's. His death was a heartbreaking shock, but what some people have written about it makes me sick. Literally (the most recent, bogus definition). People who have no expertise or experience with mental illness feel compelled to sit in judgement instead of exercising compassion. But, some really wonderful stuff has been written, too, and for one example, please turn to one of my cohosts, Sandy.

The horror of what happened in Ferguson, Missouri. The stark reminder that racial stereotyping and prejudice is real and still exists and results in terrible brutality. A reality, as a white middle-class female, I very rarely have to face. Here's a great article about it with links.

And then, the vomit began. Literally.

It started with poor Leo on Wednesday night, and the amount was truly astonishing from such a small person. We bagged up two enormous garbage bags of linens for the resort's laundry facility. You might think it's better than at home. I don't know. At home and at a timeshare, you have to do the mopping and scrubbing and remaking of beds yourself, but at a timeshare, you don't have access to any of the materials or equipment. You have to call the office and wait for delivery before you get to do it yourself. Over and over. All the while your tiny boy is absolutely miserable, can't seem to stop vomiting long enough to sleep, and is clearly confused as to what he has done to deserve this terrible punishment.

Thankful: sweet photo

That said, he did eventually fall asleep (perpendicular, with me hanging off the bed), and I got my excuse to skip to Busch Gardens and watch a Cary Grant marathon on TCM. See how I turned that frown upside down?

My own stomach bug didn't start until midway home that night (oh, yes, we had to pull over). And Brian's started the next morning. You know what's worse than having a stomach bug? Having to take care of two small, dependent, perfectly well children when you have a stomach bug. Oh, how I wished for my mama because she would have come to get them!

As it was, Brian and I crawled up and down the stairs (literally) when we heard yelling in order to start another movie or prepare food while trying to keep our own bile from rising. We fell into our bed as often as possible (being careful not to touch because it hurt too much).

When we finally got our two whiners into bed for the night (at an obscenely early hour), and settled their whining (no doubt from neglect), the last thing we said to each other was, "If only we can get a full night's sleep. Then we'll feel better."

Maggie started wailing at 1:00 am when the bug hit her. I laid with her in bed with her on old towels until 6:00, dozing between bouts of vomiting and towel changing. You know what's worse than having a stomach bug? Having to take care of a small, dependent child who cannot seem to aim for the bowl. At 6:00, I took her to bed with me and let Brian take morning duty with Leo.

So, how I can turn this horrendous story into thankfulness? We have no more family members to catch it. And it only took three days to sweep through. And, I think everyone has finished spewing. Maggie has managed to finish half a cup of Gatorade will no ill effects, and I am actually starting to feel hunger pangs.

And, I guess I got a headstart on my diet.

How about you? Can you find any thankfulness in your lessons for the week?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

40 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness you have had such a rough week. I do hope everyone is feeling a lot better now. That fried food picture is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else likes food like that and not everyone will give me the stink eye for ordering it!

      Delete
  2. ohhhhhhhhhhh.... that photo of you and Leo... ohhhhhhhhhhh.... so dear.... I hate this weeks guts too ... and double hate its guts for you too! (I used to say that all the time as a kid too! and sometimes even now...) Whats with the email bummer? Too bad... sorry... and Robin Williams....a heartbreak...nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I can't say more, I don't think. I only said so much because it fit the theme, and I'm 95% sure the person doesn't read my blog. Too much heartbreak this week. I went back and wrote a brief bit about Ferguson too since I was feeling terrible about skipping it and putting RW in. Too awful.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, you poor thing. ALL of you, for that matter! The stomach bug is the WORST. THING. EVER. If it lasted longer than 24 hours, you would surely die from it. That picture of you and Leo is so sweet and pitiful. Although remind me not to eat soup at your house....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, remind me not to eat soup that you made in the barf pot.

      Delete
  4. Oh, and here I thought you all had nothing but a perfectly lovely trip. I enjoyed watching your trip through instagram, especially since we've been there, too. I hate that the trip took such a horrible turn for you all. What misery! Although, what a great picture of you and your son. Quick question though...who thought to take the photo? Were you already thinking "blog material here!" and tell your husband to snap a photo? Or did he see what a special photo it would be and snap it himself?
    Glad you are all feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If it's a pic of me and my kids it's either a selfie or requested. I'm the photographer around here. I don't think I was quite on the blog fodder train at that moment, but I know I was thinking, "Here I am holding my baby, and it's sweet. We need a pic!" Then in my brain the photo probably went from text to parents to facebook to blog post pretty quickly.

      Delete
  5. I bet it will be a long time before you look at fried okra again. I'm glad everyone is feeling better. It is a great vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the food I re-saw was a hamburger I ate on the way home. That's what I have no appetite for! Sorry for the TMI.

      Delete
  6. "...I guess I got a headstart on my diet.

    no! seriously, that is truly an excellent line (to end an otherwise emotional-roller-coaster-ish-istic) TToT. The SGV smile with favor on such ability to step back.
    cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. Hope Leo's all better. Pity about the okra, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I thoroughly enjoyed the okra! The bug didn't hit for another 30 hours or so.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I do hope the bug is gone for good! Good for you for finding positives among all the sickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are truly on the mend, Kristi! It's just surprising every time how hard it is to bounce back and the older I get, the harder it is. :(

      Delete
  9. Oh, Sarah! What a week! That photo of you with Leo still hurts my heart and I am so sorry that everyone ended up with the bug. I have been there and I know it's awful. I am glad that you are all feeling better now.
    Thank you for the shout out. I do appreciate it. I wrote that in such a haze. It felt like and SOS, to be honest. I have never been affected by a celebrity death like this. It's still painful and still shocking.
    The situation in Ferguson is upsetting as well. I fear for this world sometimes.
    On a happier note, I am a HUGE fan of fried okra and, thanks to you, I am now feeling the urge to have some for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it just been rotten on a national level?
      If it was an SOS (which makes me think of Sting..or The Police...not sure of the era), I hope you got the support you needed. Your TToT sounded hopeful or reasonably content?
      I hope you get your okra!

      Delete
  10. That photo of you and Leo is such a *heartsqueeze* one :/

    I'm sorry your week was so completely awful. But can I just put you right and say that it's been a crappy week on an INTERNATIONAL level (here's looking at the way-too-cute-to-ever-oppress Magster! ADORABLE!)

    And this "Literally (the most recent, bogus definition)." makes me smile and think that I quite likely adore your mind. Well, and just you, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, did not mean to squeeze you out, you opressive Brit! Always so pleased when someone catches one of the lines that amuses me most. For instance, I quote obscure lines from movies all the time, and no one ever catches them.

      Delete
  11. I hope all of you are perfectly well now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, what a week! The stomach bug is (in my opinion) the WORST kind of sick to have. Boo. You definitely gotta dig deep for something in there, but you did it - nobody left to get it and a fast-mover make very good thankfuls.
    Ah, Jamestown...I loved it there. I'm a sucker for US history, I admit. Can't wait to take Zilla to all the cool places we've loved!
    Sorry about the bad e-mails from someone you trusted - don't you hate that kind of thing? I hope things can be resolved and if not, that it is something you can live with. I think that came out wrong - sorry if it did. Maybe you know what I mean.
    Anyway, so glad you are all feeling better! Huge hugs to all of you! (OH, and nice job skipping BG!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you were at BG, it could have been fun, though.
      I, too, am so glad we're feeling better because you're right: stomach sickness is the very worst.
      Your words are fine and right about the emails. Can't be resolved at present so must live with it. So I'm trying to find some appreciation in what the person can give and just leave it at that.

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness. I'll hate last week's guts with you. That was a whole lot of awful. But I'm glad you are on the other side of it now, and everyone is feeling better.

    And I'll always be thankful for a good Cary Grant marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cary Grant can always cheer a person up!

      Delete
  14. Oh so sorry to hear about your stomach bug. I understand the pain of both caring for sick kids and of being sick while caring for kids. Both suck.

    And yes, it was a horrid week more broadly speaking: Robin Williams passing and the events in Ferguson ... I'm Canadian and still we watch the unfolding news on the second with much concern. As for Robin Williams - like you, I grew up with his movies - so his death was a shock. Mostly, I pray for his family. Loss is hard enough without the spotlight celebrity brings to it. - Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true. I feel for his family. And the families of all in the Ferguson tragedy.

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness what a week! Your poor family! It was a rough week for me too in so many ways. Yes, caring for kids, sick or not, when you are that sick is awful. I'm glad you all got through it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your week looked so fun... and then it didn't! Hope everyone is back to themselves VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your pictures. I'm sorry you had such a terrible week! I also had a rough week. The news of Robin Williams and Ferguson was upsetting and frustrating. I think we all need some good news and some hope. I hope this week is much better for you, your family, and myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh good glorious GOD what a freaking WEEK!!! That picture caught my breath over on FB, my sweet friend. I don't think there is anything worse than being so sick and having two littles to care for at the same time!! Thank God you both were home to 'deal' as best you could!

    As horrible as that seems, I just have to say how beautifully and hilariously you wrote this post Sarah! I laughed, I nodded that ever-so-agreeable nod, I winced, I teared up, I bent my head to the right just off my shoulder with a long held sigh...

    SO much here... and you said it all so poignantly. Truly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so supportive and encouraging, Chris! Thank you!

      Delete
  19. Oh dear me. Sick bugs are not fun, and all of you getting it almost at the same time must have been exhausting. Ugh, I'm feeling sick just thinking about it! Good for you that you found something to be thankful for, and hope next week goes better.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!