Saturday, September 6, 2014

TToT42: Blackberries

This week I am thankful for blackberries. I am thankful for prolific blackberry productions at a farm just 45 minutes north of us. I am thankful for the heat of August (only produce can make me feel that) and for one of those "lookie here, I am the mama" discovery moments when I realized I was not the one whining in the berry picking fields. I was the one who picked more than I ate and the one who entertained with songs for the last thirty minutes "just to pick a few more."


I am thankful for my my memory for song lyrics. I sang everything from Take Me Out To The Ballgame to The Boxer. I threw any kind of public soloing embarrassment out the window and kept going. It kept the whining at bay, and we headed home with 12 pounds.


I am thankful for pink, tired faces smeared in blackberry juice and sweaty hair and even small, stinky feet. I am thankful the employee let us have an extra box to protect my floor mats from blackberry juice (even if it still leaked through). And I'm thankful for baths and showers as soon as we got home.


I am thankful for cobbler for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am thankful for bear, bow tie, and star cookie cutters and baking with my daughter. I am thankful for sneaking "just a pinch" of raw batter or dough.


I am thankful for blackberry muffins and my first foray into canning. (Christine, it's not hard at all!) I am thankful for jars on hand and a pot large enough to cover them. I am thankful for vague recommendations like "it's jammed when a spoon held horizontal drips twice." I am thankful for blackberry jam full of seeds that crunch and stick in my teeth.


I am thankful for pints of frozen berries in my freezer and blackberry sauce for pancakes and waffles. I am thankful the waning days of summer with its loads of produce. Peaches next!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

24 comments :

  1. The blackberries look delicious!
    I like your bear cookie cutter. It looks more like a bear than mine...
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful story and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Romi! You showed up FRIST, before I even remembered to link up!

      Delete
  2. I was missing you! Blackberries are my fave! Isn't jam fun?....hubbub poor tired baby ....great pic! Gonna be great in the collage on his wedding day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote it later than usual, and then I forgot to link up! Jam WAS fun!

      Delete
  3. Sigh...this is now my THIRD attempt at a comment. Why does Blogger hate me???
    Showers after you come home from a long day in the sun? Awesome. Nothing quite like it!
    I need to learn this canning thing because I would LOVE to have beautiful little jars of stuff in my cabinets. Sigh. One of my aunts was going to teach me and another of my aunts how to do it over the summer...but...POOF! Summer gone. She swears it's fast and easy and I am so very interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does my blog hate you so much? I don't!
      You need to try your Aunt Google or your Aunt Facebook. Why aren't you on Facebook, by the way. I waste way too much time there. That's where I got the two drips tip, and it worked beautifully.

      Delete
  4. My hubby is a blackberry fan too! We have lots of blackberry jam here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blackberries, but know they are hard to pick! I am duly impressed! The cobbler looks fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These brambles weren't brambly. So that made it way easier.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you sang - well done. Sounds like a #Momwin to me :) The blackberries and all the things you did with them look utterly delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you coulda been there to sing with me.

      Delete
  7. Hey, I tried canning for the first time this summer. Post will publish tomorrow. My favorite part of your whole post is the picture of your son, tired, sweaty, crabby with a face smeared with blackberries. That photo says it all. I'm glad you could sing the whines away. Love that you used cookie cutters for the dough topping. Great idea and fun for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd really had it at that point. It was HOT. Maggie loves the cookie cutters. We pull them out for all kinds of projects. She chose the bear, bowtie, and star for the cobbler.

      Delete
  8. Raspberries are my favorite, but blackberries are wonderfully delicious, too! I love the photo of your son. Have you read the children's book, "Jamberry"? When I read this post, I thought of that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe from my Children's Lit class in college? I think I prefer raspberries too.

      Delete
  9. After all the tomatoes that we have been cooking into sauce blackberries sound like a nice change of pace. Showers after being outside all day are the best. Your family is going to enjoy the fruits of your labor for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I love opening the freezer and seeing those blackberries.

      Delete
  10. Where did you go? And if you go again, will you invite me? I think Tucker would love to pick blackberries and you can have most of our haul because I am um, deficient in the canning and stuff part of it. Such fun though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larriland Farms. Might be a bit of a hike for you guys, but I'll let you know!

      Delete
  11. I've never been blackberry picking, but I would love to. How many baths did it take to scrub your kids clean afterwards?? I also resort to singing to keep the whining at bay when all else fails! Oh, and I love raw batter and dough too ... maybe even better than when they're cooked! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was most impressed that I was able to get the stains out of our clothes. Thank you, Pinterest.

      Delete
  12. I want a bowl of the cobbler please. I love blackberries. We have a farm here that we love to visit. Our blackberries have already come and gone. You are so talented at canning. I don't know how. :P My mom does though. Enjoyed visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up being the main consumer of the cobbler. I'd have shared, though!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!