Sunday, September 14, 2014

TToT43: Late, Late

Ugh. It's Sunday morning, and I am just now sitting down the computer to write my TToT. It's not like it's been a bad week. It's been a good week, even exciting at times, and definitely busy. I disappeared down the alluring rabbit hole of doing this week, and all my doing has distracted me from my online life, not to mention my real one. When I realize this has happened (as it does, from time to time), I quick check to see if I've been taking my meds. Sure enough the bottle sits, gathering dust. So, back to the sertraline, back to the park, and back to the growing (instead of shrinking) to-do pile.

But not before I put that second coat of paint on the powder room walls and find some sort of clamp that will hold the washing machine drain pipe in place so I don't have to spend my time mopping water off the laundry room floor.

It's the first truly fall morning of the year. The AC is off and the windows are open. I'm blissfully alone in the house after keeping my eyes shut through the whining and waiting to descend the stairs to make my coffee until after my other three family members had vacated the house. I am sitting at my laptop in a mercifully not hot upstairs, drinking my coffee and breakfasting on Trader Joe's Cinnamon Schoolhouse Cookies.

Anyone reading this blog knows I have approached Maggie's Kindergarten year with some...trepidation (to put it mildly). At this point, I am cautiously optimistic. What she reports from school is positive, and we've had a couple of fun exchanges, seemingly prompted from school doings, such as:
Mama, do you know what zero means? I learned about zero in school. Zero means nothing. 
Mama, did you know? The Promethean Board can read stories all by itself!
And best of all, when she got off the bus on Thursday:
I had fun at school today!
 In the words of Ira Gershwin, "Who could ask for anything more?"

 I finally connected with one of the big consignment events in this area, and the sale was this week. I found some good long-sleeved shirts in my kids' sizes and even a pair of snowpants for Maggie. And because Leo had to put up with that shopping event, I found him a baggie of matchbox cars for $2.50. I love consignment sales. Now he runs those cars along the painter's tape roads I've laid down from bedroom to dining room. Our home is for playing.


We had a family trip to the dentist this week, and for the first time in ever, Maggie sat through a very short cleaning. She sat in Brian's lap, the tears streamed, and the hygienist (who cleaned Brian's teeth through childhood) wore a baggie on her hands instead of the blue gloves for which Maggie has a completely irrational fear. And we got it done. The hygienist who cleaned my teeth said, "I've worked at a pediatric practice before, and you can tell the kids who just don't want their teeth cleaned from those who have a genuine fear. This is a genuine fear." I said, "Yes. Yes, I know." But it's done.

Before I head for The Home Depot and its overwhelming assortment of stuff I need (I'm hoping to find something that makes painting behind a toilet less of the enormous pain the ass that it is--what do you think?), I'll record this poem I'm going to try to keep in mind this week. It just a trifle past seasonal for us now, but good nonetheless.

Coming Home at Twilight in Late Summer


We turned into the drive,
and gravel flew up from the tires
like sparks from a fire. So much
to be done—the unpacking, the mail
and papers ... the grass needed mowing ....
We climbed stiffly out of the car.
The shut-off engine ticked as it cooled.

And then we noticed the pear tree,
the limbs so heavy with fruit
they nearly touched the ground.
We went out to the meadow; our steps
made black holes in the grass;
and we each took a pear,
and ate, and were grateful.


Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

22 comments :

  1. That comment from the hygienist reminded me of a blog post I have rattling around in my head. For me, when someone validates how bad something is, I am relieved that someone understands. Simultaneously, however, I am also really saddened to realize that it's not just my imagination that the situation is difficult, but that others can recognize it, too. There. A whole post idea in a nutshell. Anyway, I'm glad that the teeth are cleaned, and I hope that next time will be a bit easier.

    Hurray for a positive kindergarten experience, though! Dental visits are not daily, kindergarten practically is. :-)

    As for painting behind toilets, it is a pain. It might be possible (depending on your toilet design) to remove the tank without completely unseating the toilet. (I'm assuming you don't want to completely remove the toilet, although that is another option.) Then it would be easier to paint the wall. Whether or not it's worth the effort is debatable, though. (How often does one really look behind the toilet tank?) Good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, exactly. I feel that way too about the validation. And, yes, I'd take good Kindergarten/bad dentist over the other option!
      I think I managed the toilet. It's a little one so it's easier to see behind it. I found a tiny roller, though, and that helped me get the job done.

      Delete
  2. Yes, all the best with the project! I'm sure it'l turn out well. As for the hygienist, I hope they come up with better teeth cleaning practices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hygienist was perfectly lovely. My daughter just has pretty intense fears, bless her heart.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh poor Maggie. I'm glad the hygienist was sensitive to her fears, and did all she could. Thank goodness she let herself be held by Brian for the duration until it was done. And BRILLIANT that she's enjoying herself so much at Kindergarten. That's brilliant.

    And this - "Our home is for playing." - TOTAL PARENTING WIN! GOOD! YES! I smiled HUGE when I read that :D

    Hope your this week is a less all-over-the-place kind of a one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I had plans at one point that our living room could be toy-free. Nonsense. Gave that up. We just spread out wherever.

      Delete
  4. I love love love that you put the tracks down for the match box cars... and what a deal too!! I love consignment/thrift shopping!

    Funny enough I suspect some of my offness this weekend has been I have been forgetting to take my second dose of prozac mid day... That would make so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the roads are pretty great. Glad I served as a reminder for you!

      Delete
  5. brave, brave, Maggie!!!! And I love that your home is for playing... what a cool idea for roads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Anyone that scared of life is also astonishingly brave to live it, huh?

      Delete
  6. Good for Maggie and hooray for you! Those are good words - I had fun at school. Way better than the alternatives, trust me.
    Busy isn't a bad thing...I'd like to be more busy, frankly, but my stupid body has been holding me back. Every time I think I'm over this...relapse. This is like the third one. Honestly.
    Do tell me how the toilet painting goes - I have a powder room on my list of things to tackle and that would be one of my areas of trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am slowly, slowly, edging towards more optimism about school. And those words help tremendously!
      As for the toilet painting, it is done. I found a tiny roller that did the trick. And a lot of strange poses to get back behind there with a tiny brush. I also saw this product that looked kind of like plastic wrap. It occurred to me it would work to just cover the back of the toilet and go wild. But a roll cost $16.99 so I said no thanks.

      Delete
  7. I love to hear when the little ones enjoy kindergarten. You are the first mom I have ever seen to use the entire house for raising her family. Win! Peace and quiet is hard to come by so enjoying it with cookies is a total win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I admit that I prefer to keep them out of our bedroom because of all the make-up and jewelry, but I am seldom successful.

      Delete
    2. We gave up on the battle to have toy-free rooms long ago - pffft! Just didn't make sense, really. Kidzilla lives everywhere, except perhaps the laundry room! But her mark is on every other space around here. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I just make sure there are containers to keep toys in all over the place. Then we can "clean up" by tossing them in. At least it gets them out from underfoot.

      Delete
  8. For the love of all that is holy, how, HOW have I never thought of the tape tracks for the cars!?!?! I have 5 boys, all of whom have played with cars. We have over 300 cars in our house. Ok, so it wouldn't have worked when the big kids were tiny in our carpeted house. But this house is PERFECT for it. Good heavens. Well, I have one who still plays with them a bit. I'm pulling out the tape.

    People actually paint behind toilets?

    So glad kindergarten is going well. And I would never leave that dental practice unless the hygienist did. Follow her. She's worth it. :)

    A whole day alone? Marvelous. See, that wouldn't bother me at all, since I know it would only be for that one day. It's the start of preschool, which is only three hours, three days a week, that gets me to crying. It is the beginning of the slide into all day school and school stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for making my day by telling me I came up with a creative parenting idea you'd not considered. Ahem, I mean, Pinterest gave me the idea.
      Painting brings out the perfectionist in me like no other task. It would drive me crazy to leave the area behind the toilet unpainted. Crazy. I want to pull out the vanity and paint behind it, but I don't know how.
      I know. I love that hygienist now. But she cleaned Brian's teeth. She can't be around forever!

      Delete
  9. Oh I just LOVE that poem!! And I love love LOVE that you are on Setraline TOOOOOO!!!! Zoloft has changed my life. When I turned 40 years old, I decided my quality of life needed to be better... the angst and awful anxiety was so high that everything felt like 'survival mode' for me- and with the kids a mess of chronic sickness and my surgeries etc etc etc... I was scared, but decided it was worth the risk to try- at least TRY something!!!

    I thank God I did every day. :)

    Now- it seems that you have been INCREDIBLY productive this week!! YAY for that!!! And I am so glad Maggie is doing so well in school!!! Oh that is always the greatest blessing a mama can have!!

    Love the roads on the floor. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for commenting on the meds reference, Chris! I threw that in kind of nervously. I want to be open about taking meds because I think it should be talked about more, and like you, it CHANGED MY LIFE, but it still makes me feel kind of vulnerable.

      Delete
  10. OMG I am so so happy that Maggie is taking to kindergarten so well (and a little bit jealous that she seems to know what's going on because every day, I get "I don't know" from Tucker but he seems happy and I'll take it of course!). Also, tell me more about your meds. I think I may need some??? And dude, you are totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That took FOREVER, Kristi. I swear she learned from Olivia (the pig) to respond "nothing" when I asked what she'd done at school. Then, BOOM, this year, she tells us bits and pieces. Always interrupted mid-sentence by the next bit or piece of random thought entering her head. We call his ADHD, I believe. :)
      We can talk meds any time. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!