Saturday, September 20, 2014

TToT44: From Texas

I am, at this moment, in the San Antonio airport and must type fast to make that title true. Leo and I flew in to see my parents receive an award, and it was worth every penny (and a good bit more) of the $22.50 we spent in airfare.

What, you say? $22.50? Without further ado, my number one thankful is having married a man who is ever-vigilant of frequent flyer deals. And to whom I say, "I'd like to fly from this day to that day at about these times of day." Aside from the final decision, he takes care of the rest.

And I am thankful for my father's fabulous coworkers and their spouses. It's funny. My parents only moved to this town (for my father's job) after I was an adult and living on my own. This has never been my hometown, but I feel an affection for it and especially for the people who work with my father (and their spouses...and children). They seem to have more than a collegial relationship, and the lengths they went to to pull off this award with secrecy were heart-warming.


I am thankful that Delta required that I fly into TX one day early because that meant I got to spend some extra time with my aunt and uncle. I don't see them frequently, and almost never in a small group, so we actually got to have conversations. I'm so happy that even though I am grown-up and far away, those relationships remain close and loving.

I am thankful for the family members who drove through the torrential rain from Austin to make it to the event. More people I love and don't get to see often enough and even then, usually not in a small group. Also, I'm thankful for torrential rain in Central TX.

I am thankful for a sweet, smart, and reliable babysitter.

I am thankful that it's still definitely summer in the TX Hill Country and that means pool time.

I am thankful for true Tex-Mex.
And I'm thankful I don't have easy access to it because I love it so much.

And, right this minute, I am thankful for a good boy and a matchbox car and the ability to type uninterrupted in the airport.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

31 comments :

  1. Congratulations to your parents. How wonderful that you were able to attend, and that the trip didn't put a big hole in your wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to the parents! Sorry I fell asleep on you! Hey that Leo kiddo is a keeper huh? He's cute AND well behaved???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell asleep around the same time you did. Well-behaved at that moment, at least.

      Delete
  3. You ROCKED this in the airport!!!! I'm SO glad you made it to be there for a special moment for your dad. Those are the moments that matter. :)

    I love all your thankfuls, Sarah! Especially that you embraced family so much and you realize just how much a blessing that is. Just so wonderful to read this... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I managed it either. I don't even want to reread to find the typos that are bound to be there.

      Delete
  4. OMG you typed in the airport with a little boy in tow? You (and clearly Leo) are awesome!
    Congratulations to your parents and this whole thing is just a huge hooray, right? Family is a great blessing. So is that Tex Mex...I kind of want to eat the screen right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I still really want to read your Dad's Thoreau paper!

      Delete
    2. I told him that Lisa@The Meaning of Me wanted to. He said, "She's very supportive." I didn't even know he reads the comments.
      Your life is somewhat incomplete without Tex-Mex, my dear.

      Delete
    3. Haha - totally unrelated, but that made me think of that line from : If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter!
      There is no good Tex-Mex here in PA, obviously. Bring me some next time.

      Delete
  5. Hey, travel safe now! A rocking post from the airport!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always so much fun to see relatives that you don't get to see very often. The picture of the Mexican food is making me crave it so bad! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you made me learn the word 'collegial' and I'm really glad the award ceremony went so well, and that you had such a gorgeous time with your family, reconnecting and getting to spend time with them in small groups. That makes a lot of a difference, doesn't it.

    The Tex Mex looks awesome, and your husband's air-fare hunting is INCREDIBLE :D :D

    And well done to small boy and his car. This was great fun - a From The Airport version *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collegial, huh? Well, I am impressed with myself then. I did have a completely lovely time, and I thank you again for your kind email.

      Delete
  8. Dallas Fort Worth Airport is amazing. I wish we had more time to explore when we were there two years ago. We used frequent flier stuff too but I may need a lesson from your husband because that is amazing.

    The picture of the award ceremony is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't fly through DFW. I seldom do, as we only rarely fly American for some reason I do not know. I like SAT because it's so small. It doesn't take long to get to baggage claim...or to your gate when you're taking off.

      Delete
  9. How terrific for your parents! And for you...that you got to be there. $22.50??? Now that is definitely something to be grateful for. I love the visual I got of little Leo playing with his matchbox car in the airport. Sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did your dad know you were coming, or were you part of the surprise? Either way, what a wonderful trip! My parents moved after I graduated from high school, and that town feels more like "home" than where I grew up!
    I ate Tex Mex for lunch today and it was delish!
    I need to fly to Nashville. Think your husband can find ME a fare for $22.50?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was a surprise. My mother knew I was coming, but she didn't know she was getting the award, too. Yeah, my parents moved after I graduated from high school, and then again a year after I graduated from college. But they've been in this place for awhile now.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fabulous trip!

    Thank you for your comment in my blog.
    The autumn leaf pattern is found http://www.mooglyblog.com/happy-autumn-leaves/.
    About 'hinoki,' I didn't know 'hinoki' is used as a name of a color, and I have no idea why the tree is associated with that color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it will remain a mystery, I guess. Durn.

      Delete
  12. First of all, I am super impressed that you got a blog post done while you were at the airport! I wrote one in my local library once, but that's not quite as distracting I don't think :) How wonderful that you could be there to see your parents receive their award and how absolutely AWESOME that you have a hubby is so on the ball when it comes to frequent flyer deals :) Have a wonderful week lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I am kind of impressed with myself too. Though I should be most impressed with Leo, huh?

      Delete
  13. So nice to be able to be there for your parents and family when you live far away. $22.50! If only summer could last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I like a change of seasons, though I do dread the long, cold winter.

      Delete
  14. Frequent flyer deals sound awesome right about now. I'm thinking we don't fly enough to be considered for them, but hey! Still sounds awesome! So nice that you were able to enjoy some one on one time with people you love. I haven't had Tex Mex I don't think, but I live in AZ so I've had a lot of Mexican. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably pretty similar. I think of TexMex as sort of Americanized Mexican. I love it. I sometimes think I could live on chips and salsa. But I'd miss ice cream.

      Delete
  15. Congrats to your parents.
    I'm impressed that you did this post at an airport! Did you add the photos too? I am not great at writing coherently anywhere other than at home, though I do sometimes manage it on trains. I make notes, but not whole pieces.
    How lovely that you got to spend such great time with your family.
    And oh, I feel envious of that pool.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!