Friday, November 21, 2014

TToT53: Starting Year Number Two with Lots of Hand-Me-Downs

Last night, Brian came home with armloads of his father's dress clothes. (For those who don't follow, Brian's father died in August.) Ties, sport coats, suits, pants. I love "dress up" even if it's not me; Brian, not so much.

During the sorting and trying on, this conversation ensued:
B: Why do you say these pants are nicer than my pants?
S: Because they're wool, and high quality men's dress pants are made with wool.
B: Oh, yeah, you once wanted me to buy a pair of wool dress pants for $80 when I could have bought a pair of polyester ones for $30! Crazy!
This is the man I married. Now, whether size 42 dress pants can even be tailored (reconstructed?) to fit a size 34 waist is debatable. But we'll find out since tailoring is a whole lot cheaper than new pants (and what would Brian say if he saw the non-sale price of a pair of high quality men's dress pants?), and Brian hasn't gotten any new work clothes for a couple of years.

I am thankful for this man who makes me laugh.

I am thankful he let me sort the ties. Most of them are pretty out of style and were placed in the discard pile, but now I am thinking of making a Christmas tree skirt with them (is it wrong to make a Christmas decoration with a Jewish man's ties?). Or remaking the seat (it's broken) of an antique children's rocking chair someone gave us (a different one, Dyanne). What do you think? Maybe there are enough for both?

And I am thankful for a husband who is so finance-savvy that he got us each Five Free Dollars this week! Don't laugh. Every little bit counts.


Did you see the #lookleftrightnow tags last week? I love that kind of thing, and when I saw it I happened to be sitting at my desk (one of my favorite places in our house) that I had just straightened it up a little. Of all the fortuitousness! So, I brazenly asked Lizzi to tag me, and then Sandy graciously did too, and here was my pic.

Wait, I can't find it. Weird.

But just the night before, I had been sitting in a chair in my living room (the one soon to be decorated with swirls of pink nail polish and has since been recovered--yay, me!) and looked up and thought, "I love this view. I love what I am looking at and just how much personal stuff there is to see from this angle. I am so happy with the way this part of my home is decorated."

And here is that pic:

I love Stuff. My version of decorating is sensory overload. I'd make a terrible Buddhist. I love my worldly things.

So, there are the rest of my thankfuls. All the old furniture, the plants Brian keeps alive, the very apparent existence of our children through their creations and play. All the handmade stuff. The color (especially once I get around to painting the living room).

Oh, and to be greeted with this in the morning? Priceless.
Also note recovered chair. Yay, me again!

Your turn! Let's hear 'em!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

24 comments :

  1. You managed the chair already? That's AWESOMELY quick! Way to go YOU :D

    I like that you brazenly asked for a tag, and I love the pic of your home. And especially the blue roads on the floor. And the mirror frame - have you put stuff on it? I ask because my sister decoupaged a mirror frame for her home and it looks SO gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am QUICK, Lizzi. Mirror frame? I don't have one of those. Maybe a glare from the glass of one of the framed pieces?

      Delete
  2. I saw a wreath made out of men's ties and also a wine bottle holder made from a man's shirt sleeve with a necktie tie on it. Pretty cool. You home is warm and wonderful. I love the windsock hanging from the wine rack - eclectic decorating at its best. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that wine bottle holder thing on Pinterest. I think I tagged it. Looked simple and useful--my kind of thing. Yes, eclectic. That's my aim. And I, too, love how my kids' stuff is mixed in with everything else.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to make a tree skirt out of ties! that is awesome.
    I love Brian's pants comments though. I am so with him. Goodwill pants works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I actually love Goodwill myself. I have nothing against being a second (or third) owner. I just vote for high quality when you can manage it.

      Delete
  4. I love love LOVE this whole post! Sorry for the loss of your FIL, that is never easy. I do love that you want to make a Christmas tree skirt of his ties, that is fantastic! I too have an unnatural attachment to some of my things, mostly the things we brought over from the original ComfyTown. Anything that belonged to his mother, who passed away just before we started dating, is like total treasure to me. I never cared about anything of mine this much. Her housewares, hair accessories, scarves, knick-knacks, other than some craft stuff that had gotten moldy, I have it all. My girls play with a lot of it, and I kept some in special places so it doesn't all get destroyed. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I want my girls to have something of their grandmother's. Plus, you're right: Every little bit counts! I wish I had your knack for creating beautiful things. Hopefully you'll inspire me to keep trying. What a beautiful list, home and especially children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so kind, Joy. And I couldn't agree more about stuff to remind you of relatives. I treasure our plants because of how we got them or who gave them. Two chairs in our living room were my grandmothers. My parents made the alphabet posters in Leo's room (you can just see one in the blue room) for my mother's Kindergarten classroom in the late 60s. I also have a whole ancestor photo wall in our stairwell. My daughter touches each photo she can reach and makes them crooked. I was telling her not to when I realized she was naming people. So then I shut up.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful post and evidence of a happy life.
    As for the ties...a teacher I used to work with used them for an economics project where the kids had to make an actual product. They used them for eyeglass and cell phone cases, I think. If you don't use them yourself or donate them to a clothing place (since they're out of style, anyway), try a local high school economics teacher and see if they need them. If not, I know a woman who will happily take them off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's a great idea! But I'll probably use them some way or another.

      Delete
  6. Aren't the Mr. Potato Head accessories the best? I have a picture of 2-year old Lily sporting especially red lips :-) Let us know if the pants can be tailored, because now I'm interested as well.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know, but I am married to a procrastinator so who knows when.

      Delete
  7. You and I are about as opposite as two homemakers could be. Well, basically, you are a homemaker and I am a home liver. I am always so impressed by well-decorated homes. Ours is not. At all. There are some photos hanging in the dining room. That's about it. Your home looks so nice and inviting.

    I can't believe you recovered that chair already.

    Our Bryan/Brian are very much alike. Mine isn't much for trying clothing on, nor is he one to buy anything very often. He has one suit, but no other pair of nice pants.

    LOVE the photo of the kids with the PotatoHead glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought of that when I read your post. I want to come over and hang things on your walls now. Lots and lots of STUFF.
      Aren't they cute? I have no problem with a husband who's not really in to fashion. That never struck me as high on the list of male traits. But he does have to dress in suits for most workdays, and I appreciate hand-me-downs.

      Delete
  8. YES!!! make the tree skirt out of the ties. I think it is a beautiful use of your father-in-law's things. AND Jesus was Jewish so in my logic it works.

    I got tagged in the #lookleft and humbly posted my disaster of a work room. It's in progress and one day it will stay organized.

    I feel the same way about my stuff. If I can see it, it inspires me.

    Love the chair. The early morning silly faces are better than coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I asked my MIL, and she said he'd roll in his grave. Have to honor that. I've learned a lot by being married into a family of a religious minority. It's hard to understand when you've always been in the majority.

      Delete
  9. You know, I totally love worldly things too and recently thought about why... and came to this conclusion. Tell me whether it resonates with you as well (or maybe I'm just nuts). So I think that I'm pretty shy and unwilling to share personal stuff when I DO actually make IRL relationships so it's like my "stuff" tells my story. Like, I feel like the statue from Mexico and the bowl from Sweden and my magnets and my floors all say "who I am" without me having to??? Something like that? I also impose this onto Tucker and we'll see how he feels about it, but like his room? Is pretty freaking awesome and full of the stuff I think he loves and he's not at a point to say "mom, I don't want my transformer legos looking at me at night" so I feel like it's I dunno, a way to tell people who we are and I already said that but well um yeah....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Well put! My items are an extension of me as a person because (even down to the magnets), nearly every piece is meaningful (OK, I do have some boring old Target stuff for the kids' storage). And it can be SUPER HARD to have someone over because then you're exposing yourself to them (whoa! metaphor!). But I wouldn't have it any other way.
      The first rooms in our house that I painted are the kids, and Maggie got to choose her color (Oh, so very purple), but I so believe it's a way to express yourself!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed reading about your wonderful family and home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok soooooo....I'm on medications that has a side effect of dry eyes which in turn makes me have double vision at times which means when you wrote Buddhist I thought you wrote bullshit and I died laughing because how does one be a terrible bullshit?
    Oy...
    Maybe I need some sweet glasses like those.
    Husbands are great aren't they :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so no surprise you made me laugh out loud. I AM terrible at bullshit. Pretty straightforward girl, here.

      Delete
  12. I love the blue roads running all over your house. I wish I had known about that trick when my kids were little!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!