Friday, December 19, 2014

TToT57: Injustice and General Mental Fuzziness

Poor, poor me. Will you indulge me in a little self-pity? I've had a free-flowing nose and general peakiness for a three days now (I know, I know, for all those who have experienced or are experiencing genuine illness, I am truly sorry for my egotism). I am sure it is just a cold, just as I am sure my inability to record myself for longer than twenty seconds on What's App has to do with (a lack of) finger stability, but these certainties make the situations no less tiresome and irritating.

And so, for the third night in a row, I am already in bed at 7:15, cold medicine in my system, hoping, hoping, hoping tonight will be the night I get a good night's sleep and turn this d*#n bug around. I'd better, because I'm due to sing tomorrow morning, and can't back out because I've been told there's a lack of my particular part at this particular sing-out. In other words, I asked for an out and was told "Um, no."

So, I'm not going to bother counting, but just list some thankfuls I can think of and hope the SGV will grant me mercy as I drowse with tissues stuffed in my nostrils.

In spite of Brian being sick as well, he is stepping up his game and taking the kids as much as he can.

It is officially the holidays. Maggie has school Monday and Tuesday, which I, as a person of Southern Christian origin, find this borderline blasphemous. So I've said, "Eff that, you're staying home to play with your grandparents!"

In spite of my weak and wasted state, I actually started holiday baking with the expectation that the heat will kill off all the germs. Right?

I've taken this bedridden opportunity to discover Serial, a podcast I keep hearing about. Really, the perfect thing for a cold. I'm on Episode Three, and it is positively riveting. No spoilers!

Let's see...I've discovered mincemeat actually contains no meat. I didn't know this fact. I was a bit put off by Lizzi's mincemeat pies dusted with powdered sugar until I read the "meat" was from fruit and nuts. So much better. I still think she should change her name to something like Amity Diggidge and don a hoop skirt.

Speaking of Facebook, I am thinking of starting a petition to get Lisa to join Facebook. She just needs to understand pseudonyms are acceptable (may I recommend this site).

And speaking of shoulds, I had an odd encounter this week.

I was at Goodwill, shopping for frames and nightstands while my daughter was at gymnastics (PT). My son loves the "play area," a semi-walled corner full of toys, and I will often drop him there and run off to shop for a minute or two before checking back. Well, on this occasion, I went to check back on him after finding the size frame I needed and passed two women looking at a artificial Christmas tree. As I watched Leo play, I realized I would need to blow my nose and so reached in my pocket for the tissues I have found need to keep handy.

After the fact, I placed my dirty tissue back in my coat pocket, and I noticed one of the women shopping for the Christmas tree staring at me. Not one to be cowed, I stared back (though puzzled). After several seconds, she said, "Most people find a private place to do that."

She went on to say, "We are thinking of buying this Christmas tree." I did not blow my nose on the tree, nor was I above the tree when I blew my nose. I would describe the tree as partially next to and behind me when I blew my nose. Highly irritated, I responded in a matching tone, "And I need to stand here to watch my son." With noticeable exasperation, she and her friend moved away with their tree.

Now if I were a person who acted out of love towards my fellow beings at all times, I would have been nicer. But I'm not. This episode reminded me that when someone shoulds me, my reaction is to say, "Watch me!" In this case, I wanted to blow my nose on her.

(In other words, if Lisa says, "Eff you, I won't join Facebook," I would understand.)

Fortunately, I have What's App, and Lizzi supported my actions and reactions, albeit explained in short bursts of (what I am can only imagine is) uncontrollable finger twitching. So I am thankful for What's App, self-understanding, and friends who feel the same.

Does that get me to ten? I'm not counting.

I understand there will be no HTML this week but we are linking on Facebook (Lisa). I don't see anything up yet, but I am going to bed. I'll link up tomorrow. Or sometime in the middle of night when I am tossing and turning.


22 comments :

  1. I still think you should have blown your nose on her. Silly woman!

    *dances away in hooped skirt to bake mince pies for poor, sick, Amycakes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...right...FRIST!
    *falls off perch and dies of tiredness*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay to skipping school to play with the grandparents! I'm actually shocked that school is scheduled for next week. No one around here is.
    I'm sorry you feel so miserable. My oldest is getting over a horrible cold, too, but he had finals, so not much rest for him. I pray you turn it around and feel OK for the singing gig in the morning.

    I kinda wish you had to sneeze right after that woman gave you the stinky eye. Sneezing all over her would have felt good. Probably illegal, but satisfying nonetheless.

    Bryan's mom loves mincemeat pie and makes one most years. I have never tried it, but I don't think it's because I thought there was actual meat in it.

    Feel better and have lots of fun with the relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I know we will. The singout was absolutely frigid, but I made it through. And I think I might just be recovering.

      Delete
  5. Are you kidding me? OCD or what? You should have told her your nose has been running since you got back from Africa. I guess I'm not a nice person, either. Glad you are letting your daugther take off from school to enjoy the days before Christmas. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GAWD VAL THAT WAS PERFECTION!! YES you should have told her that!

    It's not like you blew your nose on your shirt sleeve......not...that... I ...have ever done that...nope just saying... or sneezed without a tissue and had to wipe your hand on your jeans. Haven't done that either. Although it would have made it easier to wipe bugers on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Oh, no, I do none of those things either. Ever.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I don't feel goaded into this Facebook thing at all. ;) Now. I am not saying "eff you , no Facebook," but I am still struggling with it. I simply want to know that I can use it ONLY for what I want, and that no one from my past will find me because, frankly, I don't really want to be found.
    I completely don't understand what your nose-blowing had to do with their tree purchase. People are so bizarre.
    The mince meat around here - in PA Dutch country - most definitely includes meat, usually beef or venison. But there are indeed non-meat versions out there. I don't care for it, myself; my Mom actually does kind of like it.
    Kidzilla does have school Monday and a half on Tuesday. She's going - they have a special thing both days and I know she'd hate to miss. But we don't have the situation here where her grandparents are far away - she has both sides right in town, which is a huge blessing to all of us. Perhaps we'd do it differently if we were in the out-of-town situation. I hope you all have a wonderful time preparing for the holiday and playing wonderful things with the grandparents!
    And I do hope your cold goes away - what a pain to have at this time. I'm fighting mine valiantly and so far holding my own. We all slept in very late today, which was good for all of us, and I've already had a nap today besides! Later...gingerbread house construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's where I got the meat idea. Or, you know, the name.
      I hope you're feeling better! I think mine is waning, but ever so slowly.

      Delete
  8. They realize that they bought a used tree with a lot more unknown germs than yours on it right? Even new shes lucky not to get athletes foot. .yeesh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of athlete's foot. No, I don't think I'll go there.

      Delete
  9. For just a moment there, I thought you were threatening to blow your nose on Lisa if she doesn't join facebook. :-)

    My sister's kids also have school on Monday and Tuesday, which I find very weird. Seriously, how much scholastic learning do you think will take place the week of Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lisa, did you hear that? I'm going to blow my nose on you!
      No, she already has a cold.

      Delete
  10. I know how you feel. I had a simlar experience that happened over 25 years ago. It still makes me cringe. I would go into details, but I don't want to gross you out. It has to do with the scalp and being reprimanded for dealing with said problem on the back row of my class where I sat purposely so no one would be bothered. One preppy soriority girl called me out in a very embarrassing way for attending to said problem. I told her we left kindergarten a long time ago and that is why I sat on the back row to begin with because it is not my fault I have this condition. I still have it today. It has to do with my PsA which is painful, burning, and itchy. Anyway, I hate when people don't give grace to those of us who are ill. I have been sick too all week and can't take my shot treatments when I have an infection so now my PsA is flarning on my scalp and in my joints again. I have a bad cough and am just staying home. PS Merry Christmas. I hope you get over your cold soon too. I am in the same boat with a sinus infection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible, Mary! When the feelings last like that, it was really a big deal, huh? I'm so sorry you are feeling rotten and can't take your treatments on top of that. I hope you've recovered and enjoyed Christmas!

      Delete
  11. I don't even understand why that woman was upset. I probably would have either asked or just nodded and never figured it out. I have YOUR same reaction usually, to go RIGHT UP to people and say "Excuse me, what is the problem?" and so many people have told me I'm going to get punched in the face, or knowing America these days shot or set on fire or something. It always, always seems like when someone starts to be rude, the very SECOND you stand up to them and they realize you're not going to cower and hide, they back right off. That might sound weird to some people, but when you grow up with brothers in not the best area, you learn not to show fear. I agree with Zoe. Besides, can you really expect someone to like go home to blow their nose? Crazy.
    I love the name you picked for Lizzi, I picture her in a bonnet and huge skirt with her giant, beaming smile! I looked up minced meat a long time ago after hearing someone in an old movie say they wanted to turn someone into minced meat. I pictured ground beef for whatever reason.
    Hope you're feeling better and VERY Merry Christmas! You can blow your nose in front of me anytime :) that was weird. It sounded funnier in my head. Everything does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always leave great comments, Joy. If I ever meet you, I will be sure to blow my nose. That's not unikely, actually, since I'm allergic to dust and when can you avoid dust?
      You know, I went through a bunch of names and settled on that one, but later I thought it sounded very JK Rowling-ish. But then her name choices are sort of Dickens-esque, right?

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!