Friday, January 9, 2015

TToT59: I Need An Immune System Reboot

That nasty three-week cold did a number on my immune system. While it limped out past the battered gates of my immune system, guess who was waiting around the corner to tear them off their hinges?

The flu.

This has been a miserable week of sickness. This has been a miserable week of shivering and sweating, sleeping and crying, aching and coughing. I've cursed the number of stairs in our house a hundred times. And I have double and triple cursed the cold (the wind made me cry as I made my way out of the doctor's office). And the snow (because it closed the doctor's office the first day I was supposed to go). 

But in the spirit of the hop and widening my lens, I can definitely find some gratitude.

1. Brian tops the list with about hundred gold stars. He barely got any work done this week, and I did barely any childcare. He's brought me water and and medication and my computer and encouraged me to rest. He showed me how to get to Netflix on the TV when I had napped enough. He took on errands and appointments I could not manage. Gold stars, shiny ones.

2. Ibuprofen. I can't say if Tamiflu has had much effect. I think I got it too late (stupid snow). But Ibuprofen (after the seemingly necessary bout of sweating through my shirt with every dose) got me on my feet. I kept up a steady dose every four hours for a couple of days.

3. My impressive stash of sleepwear. I am now on the last set of pajamas--the ones I have to hitch up with every step after stretching out the elastic with two pregnancies.

4. Tea. Regular old chamomile and such and also Lisa's sick tea, which is really not that bad.

5. The excuse to eat a carton of chocolate ice cream in one day. Yeah, I did that.

6. That iPad we got the kids for Christmas. I've tried to keep up reasonable screen time limits, but I threw those out the window this week. The times I've been alone with them, they've been on the iPad. It wasn't shining parenting; it was survival.

7. Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. I've found them the right mix of interesting/mindless that seemed right for these flu-y days.

8. This explanation I got from Maggie, which I find utterly hilarious and charming. While working through the Bob Books app in my bed while I dozed, she said, "See, this looks like a cat, but it's really a mit." The cat was named Mit.

9. That one time I ventured outside in one my sweaty Ibuprofen moments and snapped this photo. I think my one photography lesson has had some effect.

10. And it turns out I will live. Weepy and brain dead I may be, but I seem to be recovering.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

27 comments :

  1. I hope you will feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching reruns of Lorelei and Rory sounds cozy and helpful when your sick. Love the photo of the dude. You captured the excitement and the cold with kids and snow. Love it. Feel better and sleep. Just curious, did you get a flu shot? I never do. Oh, and I heard brushing your body helps stimulate your immune system. (I usually forget).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leo loved the snow! Fortunately, Brian does, too. I did get the flu shot! Fat lot of good that did me! I usually don't. I just got cornered at the doctor's office this fall. Hmmm...I actually have a surgical brush for that kind of thing. I'll have to dig it out!

      Delete
  3. Well, you really know how to start a new year. ;)
    When I am sick, the tv is my babysitter. Absolutely nothing to feel bad about if you let them play hours on the iPad when you are crying from the wind.
    Now, really, next week i expect a post of nothing but "I am so happy to be feeling well again!" I really hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you say it's OK, I know it's OK.
      I hope, hope, hope for that report, too. But after writing this, I found out I have strep on top of the flu. Seriously.

      Delete
  4. I hope you feel better soon! Maggie's explanation is very cute. Mits only look like cats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! being sick... time to write that novel you've had in the back of your mind... no! really, the imagination gets all teenage on beer and girls, you should give it a try! (I have, but that file is totally triple password protected lol)
    Hope you feel better sooner than later,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this theory about levels of sickness: the kind where you can read, the kind where you can watch TV, and the kind you can only stare at the wall. I've reached stare at the wall only once in quarantine in Kuala Lumpur. This was TV level, but writing is something beyond being able to read, and I haven't had that level of concentration.

      Delete
  6. This is a heroic TToT, Sarah, and I'm so impressed that you managed it when you've been so very ILL!

    Sorry I didn't respond to your message the other day. The spiders were part of my desperate attempt to find ANY good in the world and cheer myself up. I get points with sadness (a bit like your points with illness) - the kind where I NEED PEOPLE NOW, the kind where I NEED BEAUTY NOW (ergo Pintrest), the kind where all the music goes, and all the humour goes, and all the sparkle goes...and the kind where I drink. I got close to that point.

    I'm so sorry you got STREP TOO! Good grief but you must be horribly susceptible at the moment. I'm sending you wishes for NO MORE GERMS! Have you tried a hot toddy?

    WELL DONE BRIAN! I think he should DEFINITELY have all the shiny gold stars. I'm so glad he's such a good caretaker.

    And the iPad thing - totally legit. Necessary, explainable, and comes with NOT EVEN AN OUNCE OF GUILT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for Lisa's sick tea. I swear by the stuff. I am so sorry you are so sick. I sympathize completely - remember my sick that would not end back in September and October? I cried and cursed a whole lot then, too. And wind makes me cry no matter if I'm sick or not, so you go right ahead.
    The Dude is awesome. Good husbands are worth a thousand thankfuls. Especially when they step in and take over and tell you to just get well. As for the iPad, sometimes you just gotta. It's completely fine.
    Leo's photo is gorgeous!
    Get better, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for Lisa and supportive texts! The amoxicillin is doing its job!

      Delete
  8. oh my LEO! I do so love that little face! I still have his Christmas card on my livingroom table. FEEL BETTER SOON/'NOW EVEN! My boy just got out of a four day stay in the hospital with the flu he got so dehydrated... be careful and get well... Thank goodness for a supportive partner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too sweet, isn't he with his pink nose? That was a rare smile I caught. He mainly starts fussing when he sees me with the camera. I can't imagine why.
      Your poor boy! Brian's making me alternate tea with water.

      Delete
  9. Love that little wintry, rosy button-nose. Adorable. I hope you are back on your feet soon. So many people have been knocked on their backsides by stomach and respiratory stuff recently, I feel like I am sneaking around hoping the germs don't notice me.~May@Achieving Clairty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he the cutest?!?! I know! I keep hearing people say that they know a ton of sick people. I plan to be back in the land of the non-sick by next weekend!

      Delete
  10. I knew you were sick, but I didn't realize how sick you were! #3 on your list is my favorite. Did you go through the summer jammies before you got to the pregnant, stretched out jammies? Love #8 and that cold little nose in #9! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't I have sweet kiddies? Actually, no. I didn't even touch the summer ones. It was just the winter ones I worked through. I really need to get rid of those preggers pjs. Or take them in.

      Delete
  11. Glad you are on the mend. Chocolate ice cream yay! and point one supper awesome person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate ice cream is always, always a yay!

      Delete
  12. Oh I hope you feel better really soon...you poor thing, it sounds like you've been through hell. Hears to whole tubs of chocolate icecream and ipads and mindless tv and angels like Brian though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. SARAH!!! I hate hate hate that you have been so sick!!! Oh my heart just aches for you... that is the WORST thing to be so miserable...

    So thankful for your hubs... and IPADS!!! And that photo is absolutely precious. <3

    Hold on babe... hold on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how miserable.

    BIG BIG BIG SHINY STARS!!

    Ibprofen is a miracle worker in so many ways!

    Indulgences in no screen time limit is good now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, yucky! So sorry you were sick. I've heard there are some really nasty, drug-resistant bugs out there. I'm glad you're better and you had some help. I wouldn't worry about the screen times, like you said; SURVIVAL! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, this winter illness is sweeping the East Coast. Glad to hear you that you seem to be on the mend, and that you're not too sick to count your thankfuls. And where are you taking photography lessons? I need some of those - what a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so late visiting this week that I'm sure you are on the mend by now. I'm so sorry you got hit, but glad your Hubby is earning those gold shiny stars. That picture of your boy is absolutely stunning. I totally need to get some photography lessons! Hoping you have a much better week this week.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!