Friday, January 23, 2015

TToT61: Turning Around a Week of Grievances

You know those weeks--the ones in which thing after thing after thing goes wrong? It's been one of those weeks.

Someone pulls the toilet paper holder off the wall.

Someone cuts his foot badly enough that you only figure it out when you find a trail of blood through the house.

You can't figure out what the hell everyone is talking about regarding twitter handles and share buttons and HTML code and this task has suddenly and irrationally becomes themostimportantthingyouhavetotakecareofrightnow.

You can no longer reply to comments on your blog (maybe because you screwed up the HTML code?).

You accidentally slice off a bit of your thumb with your new mandoline.

It snows.

There is an unreasonable amount of days off school, and your toddler won't nap.

The pepper grinder breaks right over the pot of sauce you're reducing for the meal you're making for another family and fills it (the sauce) with peppercorns.

You all of a sudden recognize that there is a veritable mountain of stuffyou'rebehindon that built up all that time you were sick abed or off singing at a chorus retreat. And your husband has an even larger mountain from the time he was taking care of you and the kids when you were sick abed or off singing at a chorus retreat.

And you end up with one of those totally rotten nights in which ever family member is fussing at one another, and everything seems bleak.


But now...now it is time for the TToT:

I can putty. I can paint. I have a drill. I will soon mount the toilet paper holder to the wall once again.

I actually talked Leo into wearing a Band-Aid. (He hates Band-Aids.) The trail of blood is no more.

I figured it out! Me! HTML code! Not that I understood what I did. I just copied code from another site. And, I put the twitter handle in the wrong part, but I've also returned to rationality and will worry about fixing that another time.

OK, I have no gratitude here. And no reply for your comments. I'm just hoping for a response from Blogger. Boo.

Ummm...I have a new mandoline? My thumb is healing?

OK, the snow was kind of pretty for awhile.

School started up again; Leo took one very long nap.

I retrieved every last one of those damn peppercorns.

I've reduced the mountain to a manageable pile. Brian's still working, but...

here's the BIGGIE...

we're going out of town tomorrow, overnight, with NO CHILDREN as an early birthday present for yours truly (Tuesday, in case you want to mark that down). In nearly six years, we have never spent the night somewhere other than our home together, sans children. To say I am excited would be a wild understatement.

And what you are you thankful for?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

37 comments :

  1. Oh, I hope your birthday get away is tremendously, fabulously, wonderfully happy! (and your birthday too!)
    ~May@Achieving Clarity

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT Frist. But close!
    I am thankful to call you a friend and that I knew about most of these things and could send a little support your way. I don't know what to tell you about the nap thing. Zilla quit that with zero notice one day about three years ago. I sometimes still wish for it to happen.
    HOW EXCITING that you are going for a birthday celebration minus children. I understand completely. Have a wonderful time and have a very happy birthday!
    When you get time, please help me with that Twitter handle thing. Because #ihavenoidea.
    Going to link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close, and oh my, you were up late.
      I am thankful you were a friend to me when I had peppercorns in my sauce!!! That sounds funny now that I read it over--like it could be used for other instances--You were a friend to me when I had peppercorns in my sauce.
      We had a great time, and I fixed the reply problem, but now I no longer have my twitter handle in. Ah, me.

      Delete
  3. Have a great weekend, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there..

    Stay Happy. Stay Safe!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to get some perspective on all of the irritants this week. I probably would have lost my gourd right about the time the pepper exploded. Of course, I have never reduced a sauce, so the pepper thing is very unlikely to happen at my house.
    I love how you are such a DIYer. I have never wielded a drill, not patched a hole. Painting is as far as I've gotten.
    I doubt I need to say this, but the sentiment is real: HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR NIGHT OUT!! Parents really need to do this sometimes. And Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reducing amounted to me realizing I was not supposed to have put the tomatoes in with their juice so I had to cook it awhile to get some liquid out. I bet you've done that.
      Thanks so much! And we did!

      Delete
  6. Wow. One or two of those things would skew my perspective. Especially the HTML (whatever that is). But it all turned around and that is good. I've always wanted a mandolin. I find veggie chopping relaxing - I can check out and just chop. Happy Birthday and enjoy that night away. A good thing like that counteracts blood, no naps, no school, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do NOT find it relaxing. I find it annoying and in the way of the fun part of cooking. Especially the onions because I always cry buckets.
      We had a fabulous time, and I can reply once more, thank goodness.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday and enjoy your night kids free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to turn it around, you! Happy Happy Birthday to you! I hope you and Hubby have an amazing time away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful. We crammed a lot into 24 hours!

      Delete
  9. And that is how you turn a frown upside down :)
    Once upon a time I sliced my toe and didn't realize it. I followed a trail of blood all over my house wondering who in the hell was bleeding so badly when all of a sudden I got light headed and passed out...it was me...duh...sliced it on glass and didn't know.
    Glad the little guy put the band aid on and is ok :)
    I hope that your mini retreat does your mind, heart and soul some good. Happy early birthday sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu know, that's what happened with my son. It was quite a cut so I'm surprised he wasn't crying. Sometimes I think he lacks pain sensors.

      Delete
  10. Ohhh you did BEAUTIFULLY at turning such a rotten week into something good. You found every. single. thankful, and you have the best one YET TO COME!

    I'm so sorry you've had a tough week, and you've done superbrilliantawesomeAMAZING at keeping it together and having a level head and making sure that all the things got attended to, and that Leo's alright and that you've cleared up all the explosions and wow...you're doing SO WELL.

    Hats well and truly OFF to you, my dear. And yes - do the HTML another time, for now, it WORKS and YOU DID IT! :D *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cept now it's undone in favor of the desire to reply to comments. That does trump, after all. Will try again next week.

      Delete
  11. Watch this: http://youtu.be/3n-DOKBffuU Life can be challenging, but you are doing more good than you realize.

    And: Happy birthday! I'll have you know, once you have an overnight date out of town, you will find time to schedule them regularly! Have fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Kristi! That was so touching.

      Delete
  12. (I'm with Lizzi on this), excellent style with 'the turn around list'… well done!
    have fun on the weekend, don't forget to: run around with scissors, don't look either-damn-way when crossing the street and, when eating? go ahead use your fingers, forks are for children!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that, the getting past all the crapenings of the week to try to look at the positive. That is the toughest list to make! And sometimes the best, at the end of the week when it's all in the rearview mirror! Ugh, the toilet paper roll! It's a great thing you know how to fix that, no one hear would have any clue! Looks like you got the comment situation fixed, AND you know HTML?! You're an amazing renaissance woman, sooo impressive!
    Happy birthday, congrats on date night! Those are the best. Solid GOLD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do NOT know HTML. I lucked into finding some code I could paste in, but then I couldn't reply to comments. So I switched back. By the way, that payphone made me think of you and your 90s nostalgia. Was that you?

      Delete
  14. Whoa. I hope that you and Leo are alright! Take care there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So now I know who to call on when I need help with putty and drilling and making sauce. I actually have the opposite problem with the kid..BANDAIDS ON EVERYTHING! Got a bugbite? BANDAID. Got a little red mark BANDAID! We have gone through an entire box in one day.I kind of feel like I hoard bandaids from her now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to putty or spackle. Not entirely sure which word is correct. But I like doing it. And drilling. Makes me feel so competent!

      Delete
  16. Ok....you say I always say this but WHERE IS MY DAMN COMMENT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you please check spam to see if it is going there? It seems to happen when im at a different computer

      Delete
    2. Ivy, I don't know!!!! I didn't find anything in spam!

      Delete
  17. Great job of turning it around, Sarah! I have a mandoline that I got as a wedding gift. It terrifies me to use it, because I'm sure I'm going to slice off my arm, but so far, so good. I love to slice potatoes with it.
    When I was in college, I found out my roommate broke the lid to the crockpot in the kitchen while I was gone when I walked across the harvest gold carpet and noticed a rusty red spot following me everywhere I went. Took off my sock and found a big chunk of glass shoved into my heel. Good times. Glad Leo only required a bandaid AND he let you put one on him.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dyanne! Ah, memories of harvest gold carpets. My childhood home had it.
      I'm miserably clumsy with sharp objects. I should be restricted.

      Delete
  18. Okay- so I am really behind on reading and I see this and I just love the way you express this kind of stress SO well!! I actually completely get this. BLESS YOUR HEART!!!

    I hope your poor thumb is better.

    I love that you managed to even write this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS better, thank you! You're so supportive!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!