Friday, February 13, 2015

TToT64: Dates with my Daughter

Today has been...odd. I drive straight through one red light and sat at more than one stop sign waiting for the light to change. I turned south when I meant to head north and drove in circles and showed up at businesses before they opened. I stayed busy for hours and accomplished a whole lotta nothin. And last night I grabbed hold of a baking sheet recently in the oven and have the burn on my palm to prove it.

But overall, it's been a good week. I received an entertaining Yiddish primer in the mail and some very necessary encouragement and support regarding facing crowds, cheered my puzzlers on in their puzzling pursuits, and even convinced my picky, picky eater to like 'worms' (shredded Brussels sprouts).

But what I want to write about is my girl. In the last month, we have had two dates, and I need to record and remember how important these are to our relationship. We need to do this regularly.


Maggie uses her lips to speak in a way I have never seen in another person. I don't notice this usually. But when it's just the two of us, and she's telling me about school or reminding me of an event in a book we know, I notice how her jaws make them rotate around the circumference of her words.

When she shares a memory or an event, her eyes shine. They widen with excitement. That, with the mouth movement present a charmingly animated physiognomy.

She and I love ice cream. On our date earlier this month, we ate ice cream before lunch (because we crazy like that). On our date this week, we stayed up extra late to indulge. Coffee for me, chocolate-chocolate chip for her.


Hamburgers, too. With cheese. Not cheeseburgers (holding two hands out vertically, palms out, fingers straight on the left hand, slightly curved on the right); hamburgers with cheese.

On our first date, we went to the bookstore, parked ourselves on the floor of the children's section and read every book she brought me. We read until my tailbone was sore, and I could barely stand. And then we took Stuck home. It's a great one. The Dark was a runner up. It's an odd and fabulous book about a child confronting his fear of the dark. Check it out.


On our second date, we went to Disney on Ice, which is so not my cup of tea (crowds), but you know what? when your daughter turns to you five minutes in and says, "I like this!" it makes it worthwhile. Even if you have to answer, "Where is Woody?" 500 times in the second act.


And when we walked back to the Metro, hand in hand, we had this exchange:
I love my mommy.
I love my Maggie.
I like my mommy.
I like my Maggie.
And so I am thankful.

Are you?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

48 comments :

  1. Oh gosh Sarah... this melted my heart!!!! Your words just ooze love for your little girl.. through such detail and beautiful description. You need to save these as hard copies and put them in a little box for her with the pics. Not that you 'need' to, but oh, such breathtaking mother moments you have written here to cherish forever!!

    I love that you are doing these dates!! And there is ALL KINDS OF thankful in this post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, FRIST, Chris!

      I love that I'm doing these dates, too, and remembering to write the details down! I hope she enjoys reading about them someday.

      Delete
  2. "Go away Daddy. I do not like you. I only like Mommy." For this statement made at the end of the Disney of Ice day I am most grateful. I love watching you two bond in meaningful ways, especially considering how inequitably you sometimes get treated by her. You are such a great Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love the last part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwwwwww.... right on down to the dude comment. ... big heart swells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much sweetness and love. I still treasure my mother/daughter "dates".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how much this post warmed my heart. It brought back memories of special dates with my daughter as well. Dates with her are more difficult now, but it is so important to cherish those moments. Thank you for making me remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I miss the days of having little girls in striped tights!
    You and I need to make a pact to stay off the same road at the same time. I have experienced both of those stopping errors more than once. Yikes!~May@AchievingClarity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they precious?
      But yikes! Yes, let's avoid each other on the roads! :)

      Delete
  8. Hurray for you, for documenting so eloquently these special mommy/daughter dates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kid and I love going to the book store or the library. I fell in love with a book called Zero at the Library. we had to go to the bookstore and buy it right away.

    Its so fun to take the time to notice the details of our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'll have to look at Zero at the Library.

      Delete
  10. I love this! I love when I can focus on ONE child, undistracted and undivided attention and just enjoy all the beautiful goodness! It's funny, just this past week I noticed how my daughter says her sister's name, she uses her WHOLE MOUTH to say it and it's adorable. I need to do more one-on-one things with my kids, it's hard but it's so worth it!
    Pinning the books, always love good book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. One illustration in Stuck gets my daughter laughing out loud. The Dark is neat. It's a children's book with adult themes. Kind of creepy but eventually warm. I was sort of surprised my daughter went for it. She wanted to read it twice.

      Delete
  11. My heart just exploded AGAIN - that's the second time today. There is nothing like the love between a mother and daughter. I am lucky enough to have that with my own mom and with my daughter. I usually host a Mother/ Daughter tea party for Valentine's Day (couldn't this year because of surgery) and it's just a beautiful celebration of that love. I hope you and your Maggie have a very lovely Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Jen! I hope you get to have a belated Valentine's tea!

      Delete
  12. You know our family is all about one on one time with the kids, so of course I love this. That little girl has the BEST smile. Full on happy she is in every photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know that! You know, that smile is funny. She went through a phase of sticking out her tongue every time she smiled for the camera. This wild one is so much better.

      Delete
  13. sounds like two very good times, to go and spend time in a bookstore… very cool, what can possibly be better for a child than to love books and reading and all that (a bookstore) can be?

    ReplyDelete
  14. *happysighs* Beautiful. And precisely how it's meant to be. Utterly, utterly wonderful moments, and THANK YOU for sharing them. I really enjoyed reading about her, and her animatedness, and you, my friend, are another who gives me hope. I appreciate that. Lots. Love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You two girls look so much alike! Love your big, beautiful smiles! I love dates with my daughter. Now that she is driving, I fear I'm not going to get to spend as much time with her (I learned a lot in those drives to and from school for the past eleven years). We will have to make sure we have plenty of dates together. She tells me pretty much everything that happens at school and with her friends, and I don't want to lose that.
    Ice cream before lunch sounds marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a theory--family resemblance shows in the way you smile. Maggie doesn't really look much like me, feature by feature, and I don't look like my sister either, but we get told we look alike when we smile (big like my mother). I guess it's a good feature to have in common.
      It's so good that you get to hear all the details. I hope I can always be in the know.

      Delete
  16. Maggie is a beautiful little girl. And yes, we should never be too busy to record these dates!! And she looks a lot like you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Maggie is adorable and you are the best mom in the whole world to spend such quality time with your daughter. What wonderful memories you two are making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not best mom by 100 miles. In blogland, we often present the best sides of ourselves. But thanks for the compliment just the same!

      Delete
  18. That's beautiful - well done you for taking time out for dates with your daughter. And what a great kick up the ass for me to do the same. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm glad I'm serving a purpose. And writing it down reminds me why it's so important to keep doing.

      Delete
  19. I love every single part of this and hooray for you! I'm so glad you went and so glad it was fun. I was wondering how things turned out. I love the part at the end and I laughed out loud because Zilla and I often do silly sweet things like that. I love our dates - such a special thing for us. We've been running errands together more lately, too. She's a good little companion to have along.
    So glad you recorded these and shared. They are precious indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your help in motivating me to GO! Do you know how hard it is to find the entrance to the Verizon Center. It's a strangely entrance-free building.
      Taking Maggie on errands can be fun but cane be trying. She's apt to wander, and she definitely lets you know when she's done.

      Delete
  20. There have been so many things that I live through my children's eyes which make it all worth it. I'm not a fan of Disney itself (also because of the crowds), but watching their excitement is beyond immeasurable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but fortunately, I love reading too! so the bookstore trip is fun for both.

      Delete
  21. Maggie's smile is phenomenal! And a girl who loves ice cream and books? You are doing your job well, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww!! Love love LOVE that you and Maggie had mommy daughter dates! The conversation on the metro is just plain old awesome. Seriously. And I agree with Dana - you're doing so much right - books and ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me and Dana need to get together some time for books and ice cream!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!