Friday, March 13, 2015

TToT68: And Now Let's All Take a Deep Breath

It is Friday night, and I am settling in with my laptop and my armchair and gathering my thoughts from the week. Brian, recovering from minor surgery, is out like a light, and the kids should be, but they earned a sleepover (with each other) and that means wrestling and giggling and my occasional halfhearted shouts of Settle down now! If you spit on your sister, you have to sleep in your own bed! But it's peaceful.

You know what is a great activity to prep for the TToT? Family laundry. All those outfits, stains, and smells bring back the week's activities. Why didn't I wash this stinky, stained garment immediately? When did we dress up? How in the world did my husband get eight Tshirts dirty in one week? This week's contained both snow clothes and lightweight jackets. There are still piles of dirt-flecked snow here and there, but Spring's tiptoeing in.

Brian found these while walking to the bus yesterday.

But speaking of laundry, I think the twenty or so piles of folded laundry in the my basement are worth one or two. Right, SGV? In fact, I'm quite sure I remember something in Article Seven of the BOSR/SBOR about remembering the launderers and their creaky backs. If only someone else would tote them all upstairs for me.

Birthday Week is over, y'all. From March 5 through 10, we celebrate three family birthdays (both kids and my MIL). (If you've been paying any kind of attention to my blog of late, you knew of two of those. Oh, you want to reread the birthday posts? Go here and here.) Time to take a breath, let it out slowly, and be grateful that all that time-bound prep and social pressure won't come again for another year.

I'm giving myself a virtual pat on the back and thumbs up (simultaneously since it's virtual) for pulling off two birthday celebrations that I think were well-tailored to each child's needs and preferences. One small party and one trip to the National Mall carousel (in the sun!), two sets of cupcakes (purple and pink frosting, respectively), streamers and balloons and a sizeable dent in the wrapping supplies.

There are other small items from this week: the gift card (dated 2001) from a student I found at the bottom of a gift bag (too bad I don't live in Austin anymore; that thankful actually belongs to my brother who will be the recipient), the time my daughter told me she was proud of me ('cause that's a way better repetition of something I've said than others I've heard), a belated birthday gift for me, a new plan that is yielding positive behavioral results, and a Frosty (simple pleasures). But I'll stop here. It's been a good week. It's good to be at the end of this week. Crocuses are blooming.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

30 comments :

  1. GLad you had a sweet week my friend... hope the hubs is getting better quickly! oh and FRIST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You did it! It was a sweet week. He got his eyes did--LASIK. I swear, it's like magic.

      Delete
  2. Hope Brian is up and moving well soon. Sounds like a wonderful week and yes, similar feel to your post and mine tonight. So glad to read this beautiful recap and I loved your birthday posts. Just loved. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very quick recovery, thank you! Thanks so much for your kind words, as always.

      Delete
  3. FLOWERS!!!!!!
    I hope that Brian is doing ok :)
    Oh the things that we yell at our kids. I never imagined saying some of the stuff I do. When my friends (who don't have kids) come over they die at some of the things that fly out of my mouth.
    I have so much catching up to do. You're like a super star of birthday throwing this week! I bet that you're not cupcake-ed out though. No one can ever have too many cupcakes.
    I can't believe that you found that gift card! Score!
    Well hopefully Brian's on the mend this week and you get to kick back and enjoy those FLOWERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did make a pie for pi day. So I'm not done with sweets. Her best repetition was when she calmly explained that shit means when you shut the door on someone too fast.

      Delete
  4. The crocuses are lovely. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two spectacular, make kids delighted, birthday celebrations in one month is certainly "pat on the back" satisfaction. And the sleepover - how fun! I'm patiently waiting for your photo to load so I can see the flowers everyone is talking about. Wishing Brian a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they sweet that they like to share a bed? But they play far too long so we restrict it to weekends only. And now only if earned through a behavior plan. Oh, to know what motivates your kids, huh?

      Delete
  6. The first crocus of the year is always a sight for sore eyes. Everything else went blank after I read the word Frosty. They used to be my favorite before I became a vegan and they are one of the only things I still miss. Have one for me this week, will you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're Brian's favorite flowers. You know it's funny that I love Frosties so much. I'm really picky about my chocolate (plain and very dark) and my ice cream (not a fan of soft serve), but for some reason, I love Frosties. I get them but rarely, though, so no more for some time.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of a sibling sleepover. I would borrow it, if my kids were younger. We have birthday season, rather than birthday week, but I can relate to that feeling of "Whew! It's over, and we all survived!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning parties is not my idea of fun at any time, but particular the birthday ones when you want it all to go right and be fun so badly...Whew! It's over!

      Delete
  8. This is fantastic, and you deserve much more than a pat on the back for THREE birthdays! Yikes! My little one's birthdays are just over a month apart and I STILL struggle with TWO PARTIES so close together! (RIGHT AFTER Christmas) but I will never complain about that again, I promise! You're awesome! Way to tackle Mount Wash-more w/the laundry. It's funny, this week I was washing their snow pants, which got really MUDDY and I was happy because MUD meant the mountains of snow are MELTING! Spring is coming, take away allll the snow! Please! Funny how laundry made us reflective, that's a good point! I never thought of it that way. I usually think the same about their stains, too, why did I soak this at least? Well, we're busy!
    Great post! Glad your husband is recovering and the parties are over and so is the WINTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is melting, the snow is melting! Brings me such joy! We went to the park today, and there wasn't any snow and nary a puddle either!

      Delete
  9. Now I want to know what a Frosty is! It sounds cold, though, so perhaps I'll live not knowing.

    I saw crocuses recently - they're like little purple hopes aren't they. Thank goodness for them. ROLL ON SPRINGTIME!

    Well done you for all the birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a thick chocolate shake made by the fast food restaurant Wendy's. I'll get you one. Purple hopes. Love that.

      Delete
  10. Those crocuses are beautiful! Such a sweet surprise bursting through the fall/winter layer. Those first bursts of color always make me happiest.

    Laundry should at least count as 5! Especially after surgery and birthday parties. Breathing after all of it is accomplished is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzi said they were purple hopes. Isn't that perfect? I am still breathing deep. Not for another year (the birthdays, not the laundry, sadly).

      Delete
  11. I've enjoyed all your birthday pictures of the kids! I had a bunch of really weird dreams the other night, and both of your kids were in one of them. Isn't that odd? I only know them through pictures and blog and facebook posts.
    I don't mind doing stain removal and washing clothes, but I hate folding them and putting them away.
    Every spring, I wish I had crocuses in my yard, but every fall, I'm too lazy to plant them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous! I'm one of those people who loves to tell about dreams and hear about others' dreams. I get so excited if I (or my kids--but this is a first) appear! What were they doing? Woman! Plant some croci!

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a good week - that sounds like the perfect Friday night - relaxing - reflecting! Yay to spring and flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay so now I have to confess I scrolled all the way down to start my comment because I am sorry some perspective.....hubby dirties at least , at the very least, two shirts A DAY. Eight dirty shirts is a joy! Eight dirty husband shirts is a do I really need to do laundry yet moment for me. okay now going back to read the rest. While we don't have crocus blooming we do have some lovely prairie iris's blooming. Spring is indeed coming and the blooming is just starting. That is a lot of birthdays to celebrate and yes all that clean laundry is at least ten things right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, you win. But seriously, what is up with husbands and their dirty clothes?!?! How do they dirty more than our filthy children?

      Delete
  14. Wasn't it beautiful today? Spring is definitely in the air. And you know the bonus of warmer weather? Less clothes, less socks, less laundry. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous day! This weather is changing my life for the better!

      Delete
  15. You deserve MAJOR virtual pats on your back for pulling off such a crazy amazing celebratory week!! Your kids are just so beautiful... you are such a good mama!! And laundry... ah, yes. I would help you carry those loads up, but I can't. I have to still get my hubs to do it for me...

    I love how you used all those clothes to realize and reflect on all the blessings you experienced this week. Just beautiful, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I *swear* I left a comment here over the weekend, talking about all those birthdays and Brian recovering from surgery. Ah well...that just means that it's now only a couple days before the next TToT. :D
    Hope your week's been good and that you've had a chance to recover a bit from allll that celebrating.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!