Thursday, April 2, 2015

FTSF: To Sarah For Courage

I was afflicted with allergies from an early age. I grew up in a humid, coastal area where molds thrived and so did my allergies. Sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes--like the commercial says, I muddled through allergy season. All year long.

When it came to my allergy prick test, I threw all restraint to the winds and hollered. I made such a racket that our family doctor, returning to his office from the nearby hospital, heard me and came rushing into his office building to find what kind of torture his nurses were inflicting.

My memory gets a little fuzzy regarding the weekly shots. I remember keeping up the screaming; my mother remembers stubbornness and resistance. Any way you slice it, I was not a model patient. And every week we had to go through it all over again.

Around this time, I made a comment to my mother about the number of trophies my older brother possessed compared the number I did (none). My brother had several successful Little League seasons under his belt at that point, and I only had one miserable season of tee ball in which I closed my eyes before swinging at the ball each and every time.

My mother, clever and sympathetic woman that she is, saw her opportunity. She told me I could earn a trophy if I could shape up for my allergy shot for ten weeks in a row.

Willpower and motivation, I tell ya.


The thing is, when you take that much trouble to tell your timid, extremely sensitive, overly emotional child she's courageous, she believes it. She holds on to that trophy and certainty for thirty years, and when she thinks to dig it out of the bottom box in the farthest corner back behind the water heater in the basement, she thinks, Huh, this is worth displaying, and sets in the mantel.

with hosts Kristi and Allison and Allison

16 comments :

  1. What a brilliant mother! And, honestly, I think that is the best trophy a person could get - for courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, brilliant, and yes, best. I agree!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic, Sarah. I am so glad you still have that wonderful trophy. What a symbolic thing to take into your adulthood. It's there when you need it. I love what your Mom used it as an opportunity. My son used to get trophies every season for soccer. My daughter danced for five years before she got one. I'd like to say we still have the dance trophy (and maybe we do), but I do know the soccer trophies, probably twenty of them, at least, are not as meaningful even if there are one or two hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, trophies can definitely get old when you get a lot of them. This one will remain meaningful.

      Delete
  3. OMG I Love this! You would NOT believe what I (and the doctor, nurse, and waiting patients) go through when I take my daughter for immunizations. It's crazy town!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had/have really bad allergies, too, Sarah and got shots for years. I love love that your mom made a trophy for you for being courageous and I love even more that you kept it and are displaying it and that you linked up with Finish the Sentence Friday with this! Happy happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Mom rocks!! What a terrific idea for you as a child (although I don't see you now as being timid, overly emotional, and extremely sensitive -- rather I see you as determined and strong). After winning that trophy, did you feel differently in other areas of your life as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! But I have been all five adjectives. At once, even! Honestly, I don't remember if it made me feel different. Mostly I think of it from an adult perspective, motherly love and all that.

      Delete
  6. HOW WONDERFUL IS THAT!? JUST THE BEST! hey, you also won the contest! So for courage and literary prowess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwww, that was so sweet! And very clever of your mother. My daughter got a mere 4 shots this week and she wailed and wailed, and claimed she "couldn't walk" as the shots were in her legs. I can't even imagine having to go through that every week, her OR me :) Definitely deserves a trophy! That's much harder than T-ball, in my unsportsing opinion! Way to go, Amy! And Amy's Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a triumphant mom moment, isn't it? She sure did it right!

      Delete
  8. Your mom is AWESOME! That trophy should be displayed proudly, Sarah the Courageous!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!