Friday, April 10, 2015

FTSF: When Big Hair and Big Mums Were It

Fourteen hit smack in the middle of my awkward, notsureofwhoIam years.

When I was fourteen, I let my friends do my hair before my eighth grade school picture.

When I was fourteen, my Spindletop Swimming sweatshirt (that I still own and wear and you've probably seen in pics) was brand new and very red. And my grandparents gave me 42nd Street for my birthday.

When I was fourteen, my mother ran for mayor of my hometown and won!

When I was fourteen, my family vacationed in Italy for our Christmas (as it was called) Break.
Here I am in Verona.

When I was fourteen and a freshman in high school, I attended my one and only Homecoming with a date. It may have been an exercise in peer pressure, but at least I got my very own of one of the fabulous TX corsages. (Yellow) Jacket Pride!

As notsureofwhoIwas as I was in 1990, I can see a whole lot of who I am today in these experiences (or through the lessons I learned through them). Thanks to FTSF for providing me the opportunity to dig through my parents' photo albums once again!

with hosts Kristi, Kerri, and Dana

14 comments :

  1. Now THAT is a corsage! Good googly moogly. Things really are bigger in Texas. I love that your mom was elected mayor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That corsage was so tame! You should have seen some of them!

      Delete
  2. Ok so go right now and give Madame Mayor and your Dad a jumbo hug. Each. The fact that you have a photo album to dig into? Huge. I had to include a photo of my current dog "laughing" for my post. Nothing exists of my 14th year. Well. Actually there might be some photos but the yearbook is hidden behind this huge piano I have that I can't move. And may I say that is the HUGEST corsage I've every seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One? More like 30! I love digging through them and sometimes I'm not sure when I have genuine memories or just memories based on pics in the photo albums. If that's the hugest, you have not yet lived. That one was on the simple side.

      Delete
  3. OMG I love your pants in the last photo and YAY you for going to Homecoming your freshman year!!! I hardly ever went to dances. So dumb, in hindsight. Your mom was mayor??? You totally ROCK!!! Also your hair? Yeah, mine too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pants rocked and now I shudder at the sight of them. Yep, I went. With Art Bellaire.

      Delete
  4. What great photos Amy! Such a great way to show and tell us about 14. That corsage is something else ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good corsage because it was big enough to be proud but not so ostentatious to be embarrassing. I know that seems odd, but seriously, it was not that ostentatious by comparison.

      Delete
  5. How fun! I could get lost in old photos for hours. So you were like the first kid? Mayor Mom - how cool.

    I still own a few sweatshirts from 1990 too. They just get better with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, second, I guess, since I have an older brother.

      Delete
  6. I recently brought a picture of my 14 year old self to a book club meeting. We were reading a memoir based on that year in a woman's life. It was NOT pretty. I had flying buttresses for hair. I love these photos of you in this developmental stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty rough. It's a tough time for most of us.

      Delete
  7. Ohhh, I love this, love this, love this! How do you WEAR a corsage of that caliber, anyway?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pin it to your bra strap. Makes a huge difference though you can still see it pulling my shirt. Seriously, Dyanne, this one was moderate. I remember one that year with a string of blinking Xmas lights.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!