Friday, April 17, 2015

TToT73: Oh, The Things You Can Learn on the Facebook!

I went to the dentist this week. The whole family did. So that's done for another six months. Plus, no one commented on my #8 for a change (it died mysteriously several years ago; no, I don't remember bumping it).

I happened in to Unique Thrift on 25% off day. Hooaaa! My total came to $33.33. This delights me.

I taught Lizzi the expression "in her cups." Not that she was. That was Lisa

I occasionally take a Facebook quiz if I have time for it to slow everything else down on my computer. I get a kick out of being told I must be a 20-something male from New York. I also like sites that Facebook introduces me to like the hipster business name generator. See? In real life, I am a young man in suspenders and Martin Scorsese glasses, opening a microbrewery in Brooklyn (The Mouse & Cabbage).

No, in real life I'm the same Sarah (not Amy) you've grown to know and love (or did already) who never posts without at least one picture of her little darlings. And to catch one of them in the act of rubbing a chunk of honeydew all over his tummy? Priceless.


The best thing I learned from Facebook this week was that punkster was added to the OED the year of my birth. I then looked up Brian's: nip and tuck. You know what? Go look up yours and add it in the comments. I want to know. Here's a link. Did you know foodie was added in 1980? That surprised me.

Speaking (metaphorically) of Facebook and vocabulary, I asked my friends if the b in clamber is silent or not (I thought it was). Not one of my blog friends who responded assumed I'd mixed up clamber and clamor. Nope those were my IRL friends who had serious doubts about my vocabulary and general knowledge. Thank you so much, bloggy friends, for your respect. And FYI, either pronunciation is acceptable so I will continue to pronounce clamber as a homophone of clamor. Actually, that's the best thing I learned from Facebook this week.

And now will clamber up this enormous pile of boulders to escape the wild dogs and the clamor they are making.

And you? Are you thankful?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

19 comments :

  1. I couldn't figure out how to use that website without signing up for something. I'm sure it was probably neato, or groovy or something like that. Doesn't in her/his cups mean drunk? I have no doubt you know what you are talking about when it comes to words, pronunciation and meaning. That was a silly conversation. Honey dew on the belly. So cute. Have a good weekend Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird! I could get right on it! Well, darn, now I can't secretly find out how old you are. :)
      You have a great weekend, too, Val!

      Delete
  2. Reboot! I am completely surprised by that. Computers were gigantic, taking up whole rooms back then. Did people even know about computers?
    So did you ever figure out why he was rubbing a melon all over his belly?
    Your bloggy friends? We've got your back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reboot!
      Never did. Just liked the way it felt, I guess. Maybe I should try it.
      Thanks, Christine!

      Delete
  3. Computernik. And I think that word must have died by the following year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know that word. But thanks for looking it up for me!!

      Delete
  4. Cyberculture! Really? Im amazed....1963?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Cyberculture in 1963! That's more surprising than foodie in 1980.

      Delete
  5. What is clamber? Wha? I'm so confused!! Clamor- yes. I get that one. Maybe I'm just too tired to think straight. I dunno. that pic is adorable!! Looks like the little cutie needs a diaper change!! lol ;)

    I don't think I have ever taken one of those quizzes on fb. I ain't got time for that! They look really fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clamber, like climb. That's why I thought the b was silent. Yeah, that diaper is way overdue for a change. Lazy, lazy me.

      Delete
  6. Those quizzes are fun when I have nothing better to do :) or I'm bored. I learn a lot on Facebook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are pretty silly, though, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. Unique! It's an awesome place! But I haven't been there on 25% off day. My niece took me last year. I couldn't believe it. My spring coat is a Jones New York. Perfect in every way and it was something like $12.47. Love that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Yeah, that $33.33 got me six new skirts! All J.Crew or Banana Republic.

      Delete
  8. I am now going to spend the next 5 hours shopping on Unique Thrift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I commented...I gave my word of the year, which was laugh-out-loud. Or something like that. And I assured anyone who cared to know that I was most assuredly not in my cups.
    Or was I...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bouffy. I got bouffy. That's a WORD?
    What purpose, if any, did Leo have for rubbing honeydew on his belly?

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!