Friday, April 24, 2015

TToT75: Anticipation and Restoration

I tried to write an FTSF this week for I wonder..., but nothing was coming out right. My wonderings sounded whiny and egotistical to me so sometime late last night, I deleted all my draftings and gave up the ghost.

On to the next blog hop. I'm publishing early because I am off this weekend, sans kids, sans husband, on an adventure such as I have never experienced before. I think there may be some blog fodder in it, but if nothing else, I am content to see it as fascinating subcultural experience.

But this week...this week provided one of those experiences that restores some of your faith in the good.

Our front yard is one of the bus stops for our neighborhood. I love this for a variety of reasons, with being able to put my daughter on the bus while still wearing my pajamas, at the top. And barefoot, Clark, barefoot.

This week, while none of the parents were looking, some of the kids broke a window in our garage by swinging too closely and too wildly in the hammock. I didn't happen to be outside that morning so I only found out when three of the parents knocked on our door after the bus had departed. They offered to pass the hat since they hadn't gotten any confessions.

And then, that evening, we found a note on our door. One of the fifth grade boys couldn't live with the guilt and had tearily confessed to his mother. In further emails, she told me she had explained that she wasn't angry, but that he needed to apologize, and they would take responsibility by paying for our window repair. When he said two other boys were involved, she told him that did not mean he shouldn't take responsibility for his own actions.

I really don't think there could be a more perfect parent reaction. Kindness and responsibility in action.

I keep meaning to take this child aside and express to him how maturely I think he acted. In the meantime, I contented myself with a brief homily to the bus stop kids on taking care of others' property and not letting one person take the blame for your own actions. I understand why the mother of one of the children doesn't want to get involved, but I don't mind encouraging confessions for their sake. We'll see if my moralizing has any effect. $183 is a lot of money.

Now, off on my adventure!

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

22 comments :

  1. have a great adventure sounds good, and fun - kudos to that 5th grader - oh did i get frist yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun hope the adventure is adventurous-alicious... the pic is coming... I feel so bad its taking so loooooong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEll, you saw the pic of my tarted-up self.

      Delete
    2. Whenever someone says targeted up I immediately think poptarts! Hahaha!

      Delete
  3. I think that is fabulous parenting. And that child - what a lesson to learn eh? I wish that the other children AND parents saw this in motion. Well I bet they are seeing it. It's just a shame that they're letting this one kid take all the blame for it.
    You enjoy your weekend adventure. I hope it involves lots of sleeping in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much sleeping in. But good fun and partying!

      Delete
  4. oooh, oooh, an adventure! Can't wait to hear about that. Good parenting, character building, honesty and responsibility for consequences. It doesn't get much better than that. Did you give the homily with your pj's on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I did! I think they highlighted the seriousness of the sitution.

      Delete
  5. Adventures are fun! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. time for the walks to the mailbox, shoeless (but no pajamas*) up, as I suspended the walks when the snow was covering the ground and drive.
    Good behavior, the taking of responsibility …what could be more critical to learn as a young human?

    *meaning, regular clothes, notclothes-less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, in the snow is too, too much contact with the forces of nature. What I read here is that Clark walks to his mailbox in a whole lotta nuthin'! Shocking!

      Delete
    2. Clark does naked walks to the mailbox, eh? ;)

      Delete
  7. Happy adventuring. And YAY for responsible citizenship. Good for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack! I read this when you first posted it, but I guess I only commented in my head. :/

    I'm glad one of the kids did the right thing and fessed up. A good sign of his future.

    Hope you had fun on your adventure! I saw the one photo, but I can't wait to hear all about your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger might have eaten it. Been having trouble with that of late.
      Isn't it a good sign for his future. I have to admit I'm a bit irritated with the others...and their parents.

      Delete
  9. I really admire you for your adventure. I sincerely doubt I'd be able to do it. Can't wait to hear about it!
    The story about the garage door parenting makes me happy. It's good to see parents teaching responsibility rather than finding a way to weasel out of it. I've seen that far too often and it makes me kind of sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just made me so, so HAPPY that I had to share. And I wrote the mother that I'm taking notes to pay it forward some day.

      Delete
  10. I hope you have a marvelous adventure! The best thing about your garage window story was that the little guy had the conscience to confess. Hopefully the other kids involved will follow his example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, nothing. I'm a little irritated, but what can you do? I can't parent everyone.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!