Sunday, May 31, 2015

Photo Blogging Challenge: I'm in for Spring

PJ's photo blogging challenge is a link-up I've long stalked. And once I got a real-life, honest-to-goodness quality camera, I knew my time was approaching. So, here I am for my initial entry with five photos in a Spring theme. I hope you enjoy!

As anyone who reads this blog knows, peonies are my all-time favorites, even if, as Christine says, they need extra care not to fall head-first towards the dirt. Their beauty and fragrance make me forget about the time I take untangling their supports every year.

I planted nasturtium seeds for the first time this year, and they're gorgeous! I didn't even know they came in red. Nasturtiums always make me think of Sarah in Sarah, Plain and Tall. She wanted to plant fowers she was used to seeing in Maine, and I always remember her line, "nasturtiums, the color of the sun when it sets." Bonus, I eat the leaves!

I'm pulling up these tiny, optimistic maple trees from all our pots these days. It seems our maples shed more some years than others? Is there a pattern, or is it determined by weather?

As I was weeding around our vegetables recently, I discovered these volunteer tomato plants hoarding in on okra territory. I've never known a tomato to reseed, and it's not like we had a mild winter. I even ran my fingers along their stems to smell if they were genuine tomatoes. All I can imagine is that some abandoned, half-squirrel-chewed tomatoes had hardy seeds. We'll see what happens!

I don't think everyone thinks of chive flowers as the biggest prize, but I love how exuberant they are. Plus, I don't mind a bit if little fingers pick them for me.

Oh, this was fun!

24 comments :

  1. Sarah, your photos are lovely. The garden is a wonderful place to capture beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Spring just calls for it, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I love nasturtiums in a salad, but the ones Niece and Neff planted at the allotment have been nibbled by nefarious slimers this year. Alas.

    Still, apparently mum found some romanesco for us to grow, so come autumn I shall be eating fractals...


    LOVE your peonies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused. Fractals? I do not know this term in reference to salad greens. Nefarious slimers!!!!!! Have you tried a bowl of beer?

      Delete
  3. All of these are so pretty - you do closeups so well. I was admiring all of them and then I got to the last and was blown away... simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Katherine. I'm trying to learn.

      Delete
  4. You are doing a great job with your new camera! Beautiful photos!
    We get tomato plants spontaneously grow in the garden every year. Bryan just staked a couple of them today.
    I was thisclose to taking a photo of our peonies this morning. They are lying on the ground, rotting. :/
    Nasturtiums? You eat them? Like in a salad? Huh. I will keep that in mind when I do some planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stake those babies, Christine! That's it, I'm coming to Indianapolis!
      Yeah, you can eat the whole thing--flowers, too! Though, why? The leaves are spicy; I wouldn't want a whole salad of them, but they add a nice kick in small doses.
      Thanks so much for your compliments!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sarah, I like how you have captured the self setting maple trees and I love your chives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I pull up the seedlings, and go back to find a whole new dozen or so the next day!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Romi! It was my best, I thought.

      Delete
  7. LOL! I'm not sure those tomato plants will coexist with the okra once they begin to loom about them! But how fun to find "wild" tomato plants! I love peonies and tell myself every year that I will plant some. Someday I'll do it because they are amazing flowers. Great shots for this month's theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa. What I need to plant amongst the okra is peas, huh?

      Delete
  8. Ohh, I like the many colors and good contrast in the last shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peonies have to be my all time fav as well... We dont have any... not sure why but I may need to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Long been stalking the challenge, eh? Well, congrats on the camera and welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy it and stick it out with us each month!

    I like your shots for this month. The flower shots are really nice. I like that last one as I'm not sure I've seen those before. Cool looking flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome! And you started out quite strong. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you stopped lurking and joined in! And it's a beautiful set of photographs. I sympathize with your annual battle with the maple seedlings...I have to fight an annual campaign against volunteer lilacs from the neighbour's yard! I think chive flowers are underrated. They also make a great addition to salads, as they impart a mild onion/garlic flavour and add some unexpected colour! I often pick one as I walk by my planter full of chives and chew it on my way to the mailbox.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!