Saturday, May 2, 2015

TTOT76: Retrace Your Steps

I've been going through one of those times at late when I've been losing just about everything not firmly attached to my body. And I must even be scattering bits and pieces of my brain around town because those bits and pieces seem to be missing.

Nearly two weeks ago I walked out to our garage with my keys and the little mini-wallet attached to unlock our garage (to clean up the broken glass you may recall from last week). I set down my keys (little mini-wallet attached) somewhere that I vaguely recall being an unusual place while thinking, "This is an odd place. Don't forget this is where you put your keys."

I forgot.

I have torn our garage and house apart. Brian has torn our garage and house apart. The keys and mini-wallet are gone. GONE, I tell you.

They've up and vanished like a fart in the wind (name the movie).

I lost my:
  • keys
  • driver's license
  • two credit cards
  • Costco card
  • two Metro cards
  • library card
  • YMCA card
  • Giant card (OK, now I'm getting melodramatic)
We've all done this at one time or another. We all know what an enormous pain the anus this is. So, on to the bright and sunny side:

1. I still have a spare car key. Wait, I had one. The point is, I didn't have to buy a car key.
2. I had and still have multiple spare house keys. Thanks to Brian, key hoarder extraordinaire.
3. The credit card company overnight-shipped us new copies of our cards for free! Got 'em the day after I called the items officially lost. Pure heart, those credit card companies.
4. I only got my credit card denied once (and only in front of one friend) when I traveled immediately after getting my new cards and caused the credit card fraud department to freak the eff out.
5. There were no fraudulent charges, which supports the theory that the cards are indeed hidden somewhere in our house or yard (perhaps deep within a flower bed? I did a lot of gardening that morning) and will turn up someday when we least expect them to (and then I'll have a spare key again).
6.
7.
8.

And, then, bum, bum, bum...

9. You can request a new copy of your DL ONLINE where I live!!!!!!!!!!

That is, if you know your DL#. Who knows his/her DL#?!?!?! I mean, I did once when I had extra room in my brain for such matters, but that was a decade or two ago and an entirely different, shorter number without hyphens and letters built in.

10. I have a Brian, who instead of flapping his arms and crying at the prospect of sitting at the MVA for hours and hours, calmly found our life insurance policies and read off my DL# from the application form.

...

So I wrote all that Thursday night, bursting with pride over my proactivity considering the party I was hosting Friday night. I mean, I hadn't come up with 6, 7, or 8, but I thought I'd sit on those awhile to see if something brewed.

As I vacuumed the house on Friday morning, moving towards the living room toybox I thought, "It's been awhile since I pulled that out from the wall."

Lo and behold:

Please spare me the comments on Brian's and my lackluster tracking work since this was a wholly obvious place for us to have looked nearly two weeks ago. Let's just celebrate my two car keys and two driver's licenses, shall we?

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

29 comments :

  1. Wow, Sarah, what a royal pain, but I am so glad you found all your cards, keys, etc. Once I went to a golf course, purchased a gift card as an anniversary present for my in-laws. But I somehow lost it between putting my son in the carseat and their house. Well, I had put it on top of the car and driven off with it up there, never to be found. Luckily the golf course, honored the present. It was just another situation where my in-laws thought I was disorganized and flighty. Hope you had fun at your party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like something I would do, Val. When I start doing stuff like this, I stop to consider what's going on my life to make me so frantic. I can usually find something that's distracting me enough to lead to this kind of mistake,

      Delete
  2. I am currently having to search for my dl today. I know I had it at the doctors but instead of putting it back in my console as soon as I got back in the car I left it in my back pocket. SOooooooo searching laundry and then the car and then my room. Obviously I am suppose to clean while I search but who knows if that would actually happen. I can't tell you how often i misplace stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to misplace things pretty frequently, too, but for this long--that's rare.

      Delete
  3. OOOOOOFFFFFFF thank GOODNESS you found them in the end. So annoying not to have found them from the offset, but OOF!

    Also, I smiled, because I have very specific 'places of keys', and if my keys are NOT in that place, they're GONE-gone.

    And here's a thing for one of your blanks - I sent you a little glitterbomb today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, so glad you found your keys and wallet again! I've been the same lately.. I've forgot my wallet at stores TWICE within two weeks, the first time I was lucky and it turned up complete; the second time, some good soul had stolen all my cash by the time an honest person found it and turned it in. Mommy brain, sleep deprivation.. At least I have excuses for being as scatterbrained as one can be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading these comments from the bottom of the list up, and when I read this before I got to the name, I already KNEW it was Stephanie!

      Delete
    2. Sleep deprivation leads to mistake like this, for sure. Too many small people asking for your attention, too.

      Delete
  5. I was going to suggest prayer, but you've already found the lost items. Seriously, though, prayer helps me find lost items all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe that, Kristi! Quieting your mind can work wonders.

      Delete
  6. no kidding I have read this post and your last one (about blessings) at least three times each.. I could have sworn each time I returned that I had commented but lo and behold...no ivy in the comments.... Im not surprised .... wouldnt find my head if it wasnt attached lately... so no worries... glad you found the keys and didnt have to worry about someone using your cards etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be that Blogger hates you like it does Lisa.
      I'm glad I have my things back again, too! And I think having two DL's might come in handy.

      Delete
  7. Did the keys innocently fall behind the toy box or did someone (not naming names, Leo) nudge them off? At least now you know no miscreant has a key to your car or house!
    I have an app on my phone called Lockbox where I keep important numbers and passwords. I've never felt the need to put my DL# in there, but perhaps YOU should get Lockbox and do so?
    By the way, even though it has never happened to me, I have recurring dreams where I have lost my entire purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll never know, but I've considered both possibilities.
      Someone told me about a fob I can get for my key ring that works like the Find My Phone app. Doesn't that sounds amazing?

      Delete
  8. omg ...I'm going to say it , i can't hold back- because I've said this about myself out loud or to my husband, Nick - many times.

    Senility, my friend is going to be a trip ha, lol

    Well at least you found them and now you have an extra set and a second drivers licence - are they in a safe place or did you forget? :)

    I am older than you and I will tell you its the worse and its not getting easier- I walk into rooms and have no idea why - my glasses, my phone, and whatever I'm holding at the time are always forgotten way they were placed.

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you ended that dire warning with "have a great week!" Now I'll probably spend my week looking for signs of my senility! :)

      Delete
  9. I was so happy to read down and find out you found your wallet and keys. In October of last year, I had my purse stolen out of my car, I still haven't replaced everything that was in it and I despise my new handbag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry! A good handbag is hard to find.

      Delete
  10. ah ha! that everything looks to be neatly, albeit, secretly in place. a mystery!! Might be interesting if you could re-construct who/what got the keys from your hand to this hiding place (as surely it is… in the woods, by the side of the road is throwing them away) behind a piece of furniture inside the house? …hiding place!

    I thought about getting one of those lockbox things that Dyanne mentioned, but am afraid I'll put everything there and forget the password!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, then you'd need to write the password on a sheet of paper and hide that in your house. And then record where you hid it somewhere else. And so on.

      Delete
  11. Oh my word, I hate it when I do stuff like that!!! I laughed at the part when you thought to yourself about it being an odd place to put your keys. I do that, too!! And then I forget. My debit card was lost for a day. It was in the pocket of my robe. Don't ask.

    Glad you found your keys. I am now off to make sure my DL# is written down. And then I will immediately lose that piece of paper. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian's car keys were lost for months and months (summer ones) and then I found them in the pocket of his robe. Clearly, a bad place to keep stuff.

      Delete
  12. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! *Inhales* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    Oh this is good. SO good!!! I swear I just LOVE the way you write Sarah! SO funny and I can always totally relate to what you share. This is SO something I would go through!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah. I am sitting here with the largest grin plastered on my face. Last week I tore apart the house looking for my glasses which I just put down for a weensy second to pour myself a coffee. And where did I find them an hour and a half later? Folded up in a running shoe in the bathroom.
    And my visa card? The one that I lost the night before a trip which meant I had to use cash the entire week away? In a backpack.
    And that Sparks wreath that the five year-old Sparks group lovingly made one Friday afternoon in the school gym? Stlll missing. Been a good 15 years but I'm sure it'll turn up. Sometime.
    Any thoughts on where it might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any furniture you haven't pulled out from the wall in fifteen years! Always glad to hear I'm not alone. I had a favorite linen skirt that's up and run away. Just noticed as the weather warmed. Gosh, I loved that skirt!

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!