Friday, May 8, 2015

TToT77: Oh yeah, with summer comes the HEAT

It's hot! I am hot here on the second floor of our Cape Cod house, directly under our hot roof.  But I am resisting the lure of the AC for a bit longer. Downstairs is manageable and the basement is always several degrees cooler. I am resisting.

I don't like to be hot. When I was a young child, I used to cry on the way to the car, anticipating the sweltering atmosphere and the burning vinyl seats. My parents would give me pep talks on the way to no avail. And as they say, what goes around...

I'm the peppy one now. I uselessly yammer on about open windows and air conditioning, but I'm afraid my car must have a slow freon leak. I'm the only one with any pep, and I'm regretting this haircut that's too short for a ponytail.

But on we go...

There have been bitter pills and spoonfuls of sugar to swallow this week. Not entirely sure the latter is making the former go down, but I'll still voice my gratitude along with my gratitudinous compatriots.

This week I am thankful for plant nurseries and farmer's markets and yard sales. I am thankful for cool, loose dresses and sandals and even that very slight burn I just noticed on my shoulder (don't scold, Jen) because summer!

I am thankful for a daughter who knows that she is brave and that being scared is the first step towards being brave. I am thankful for rare but powerful bursts of confidence and her surprisingly mature cooperation when faced with a new, limited diet. I am thankful that I know that potential labels will not change the charming girl with the dancing eyes.

I am thankful for a son who let me give him a cuddle after he rug-burned his already scraped elbow and who spoke with charming misunderstanding when he cried, "Not healing fast enough!" I am thankful for his strong will that I can't bring myself to curb into perfect social acceptability because you gotta hold on to a little, irrational kernel of yourself under society's demands.

I am thankful for a husband who does not make big decisions rashly or without thorough research. At least that's one of us. He's a good man, and thorough.

And I am thankful for treats in the mail. I got two pieces of tangible friendship in the mail this week, and they could have made up my whole ten, but I have this remarkable family, too, you see.

Are you thankful? Come join in!

Oh, and come back again next week for the fun and frivolity of the TToT's 100th anniversary! Cake! Prizes! Water balloons! (maybe)

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

30 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. You write so tenderly about your children. It makes my heart smile to read it.
      And I KNOW it's horrible, especially in light of all the health issues my mom is going through, but a light sunburn across your shoulders is NECESSARY, just once, so you know it's really summer.

      Delete
    2. You beat Val who is my usual FRIST! I am glad I made your heart smile and glad you understand the burn.

      Delete
  2. I used to hate being hot until I worked in a refrigerated warehouse. I spent my entire summer last year wearing multiple layers of winter clothing - even long underwear on some days. Now I've decided I love being hot, but I still hate to sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got pep talks before getting into a hot car? Wow. That is an aversion to heat! ;)
    We did not resist. Our AC is on. Bryan has horrible allergies, so open windows are sadly not an option for us at night.
    I am all about wearing dresses in the summer, which is shocking. I used to be so, so tomboyish that people wondered if I'd wear a dress to my wedding. Do you have a favorite? I'm looking to add a few more to my wardrobe.
    You do have an awesome family to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays, I believe we call it a sensory issue. :) But we were not so enlightened back in the day. :)
      I bought one on ridiculous sale about three years ago that I love, love, love, but I've never seen the style again. So disappointing. I like ones that are loose in the mid-section area. :)
      I just bought a swing dress from LOFT this year that I think will be a good one.

      Delete
  4. Water balloons? I love water balloons. Especially in the HEAT! I love the way you tell your daughter that "being scared is the first step in being brave." I wish I had said that, in just that way, when Meredith was little. And can I ask? Do you yammer or yamber about the open windows? Hope that made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe, Val. But I'll throw some towards NJ if you like.
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. A few days ago, it was summer where we live, but today it is like winter...

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather can certainly surprise us, can't it?

      Delete
  6. I like that you can relate so well to your kiddos fear! Sweet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got interupted mid comment....I suppose I should expect it at work but really???????? anyway HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, SARAH!

      Delete
    2. oh look , split personality!

      Delete
    3. Hey, thanks! And to you, too!

      Delete
    4. OMG Ivy..Zoe...that is hilarious!

      Delete
  7. i love the summer but lately i really need to be honest i don't like to humid, sticky heat - but i do love long skirts and sandals.

    your children are your heart and it shows or it is heard when you write about them

    have a wonderful weekend and mothers's day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blech to the sticky, yes. That is a lovely thing to say about my relationship with my children. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. See? It's perfect that we're friends. These girls of ours, these wonderful men we married...and hating hot. I HATE hot. Our AC went on last weekend when the temps shot up and also these damn flowering trees. We needed the air filtered and I needed to not be hot while sick. End of discussion. And I swore off dresses so long ago I think the last one I wore was to my own wedding. But. Since I've discovered they are essentially crotchless sweatpants and these beautiful things called maxi dresses are so long they cover everything I ever wanted to hide by wearing pants? Yeah, I love them. Old Navy maxi skirts - best. skirt. ever. In fact all my current favorites are from their sale last year in June.
    You know I'm going to want to know all about the diet thing. Well all the things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just glad you and Lisa let me be your friend - no girls, crappy man, LOVE hot!

    Glad you had TWO pieces of tangible friendship. That's awesome.

    And your family are wonderful, as are YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. What a lovely compliment. And there's not "let." It's "want," my dear.

      Delete
  10. I don't particularly like hot, either, says the girl living in a desert. Of course, out here it is a dry heat, which really is better than hot and humid. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry heat is SO much better! Oh, it was humid today!

      Delete
  11. I'm enjoying the slightly warmer weather...and resisting the AC bug too. Soon enough though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up this morning to find the AC on. I wondered about it and then stepped outside into the humidity and knew.

      Delete
  12. Sarah, I can relate COMPLETELY to the hot...I live in South East Asia. No fun being 1 degree north of the equator! Glad that you're coping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, I remember when I lived in KL!!!! That humidity is something else. I remember scrubbing the mold from my shoes every weekend.

      Delete
  13. I've had the AC on and off for weeks... cause we are spoiled brats over here. No one can stand a hot house, including ME!

    I'm already complaining about the heat, which is so ironic.

    I hope your girl is okay!! It sounds like she is a little warrior and that is a good thing to be brave and courageous and confident! Love that you mention your son's cuddle and your hubs is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian turned it on this morning. I wondered about it, but then stepped outside into the suffocating humidity and knew.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!