Friday, May 29, 2015

TToT80: Piper tagged me.

I have a hard time hanging a hook in my house if it does not carry some significance. Now, mind you, I do on occasion--hang hooks and incorporate other items into our household; but mostly, the stuff in our house has history. It's meaningful because of where we acquired it or who gave it to us or who owned it before we did. So, naturally when Piper tagged me this Ten Things of Significance hop-de-dop, I was delighted. And it makes an excellent TToT.

So, what I did was wander our house with my camera during naptime today. I snapped photos (of mediocre quality, it turns out) of this and that and then winnowed the photos down to ten. Now these ten are probably not the top ten (I'm not sure I could isolate a top ten), but you know, I've showed off my Spindletop sweatshirt many a time before so that didn't make the cut today. And I've paraded treasures from my keepsake boxes so I didn't dig into those. These are the ones that popped out to me today.

1. Like Piper, I'm a fan of a collage. They're all over my house (I took pictures of three, but this is the only one to make it). Hard to photograph this stairwell, but that's all family photos...with a little sculpture and tile action worked in here and there. I walk past Brian's and my ancestors multiple times every day, and I like to think, am better for it.
Ugh, blurry! Sorry!

 2. I found these on the floor of the office. I love them. When the treads wear smooth, I buy a new pair, same color, and move the laces over. Generally, I hate wearing shoes, especially ones that require socks, but these, these are OK.

3. I don't keep every book I read anymore. I don't have enough tall wall space to hold all the books I read. So I keep the ones that are my friends. It's possible I'll never reread them, but their presence brings me pleasure. Here's K, L, and just a little M still on the floor of our bedroom. That ragged paperback is AWIT, of course. Thinking of building shelves...
I must have tremors. Sorry again.

4. My lovely friend Sereta made us this for a wedding present. No, she didn't go to the registry, she made something by hand that she knew I would love and use. And I do 'cause the basement is COLD. And a shout out to the old, green couch which is the best, most comfy couch ever in the whole world.
And, yes, that's a Nightrider tshirt. Pure class here.

5. My parents gave me this painting for my 30th birthday. It's of Prince Edward Island with its red dirt, and the gift is a little homage to my early love of Anne Shirley.

6. Barbarella. She's a fighter, she is. Someone (who knows) gave her to my family when my father's mother died. Barbarella survived some pretty harsh treatment in the back seat of a large, rented vehicle on the drive from TX to NC only to land in a location in our house that caused her to drop her leaves and grow tall (and need propping). Since we've moved to MD (because no way I'd part with her), she's actually put on a little more flesh, believe it or not. She's a fighter, she is.

7. My friend Anna made me this little vase-cup item. I like to keep tokens like this in use to keep those I hold dear in mind. Obvs, this one holds make-up stuffs. And I won't name names, but someone (not named Sarah, Brian, or Maggie) wrote on it with lip liner. I could wash it off but it sort of adds to its value, don't you think?

8. And this, this is my Squoosh. I don't want to think about how disgusting a feather pillow this old might be. I like to think about how perfectly it fits into my neck at night. It has its own set of pillowcases in daily rotation because I have terrible skin, and if I change my pillowcase daily, I get fewer pimples. This pillowcase is made from an old crib sheet. And don't say I might be getting pimples from Squoosh. I love her.

9. Blog readers, meet Ella Boogats (boo-gahts). She is two years younger than I am. You can call her Boogats.

10. Finally, these alphabet posters hang in my son's bedroom. My parents made them when my mother was a Kindergarten teacher in the late sixties. A few hung in the room I shared with my brother early on, and then I hung them in a classroom for a couple of years when I was a teacher. O, P, and Q are the best. Seriously, the quail queen's face!

So, according to Piper's rules (I think), I now nominate two other bloggers to find ten items in their houses to show off. I nominate Lisa (as aforementioned via the Facebook) and Dyanne because I want to know what early granny chic looks like.

Ten Things of Thankful


 Your hosts

Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group

39 comments :

  1. Oh, this is so fun!
    Such lovely, wonderful things! I love them all! Think of all the wedding presents you received that you actually use on a near-daily basis. That afghan is one practical gift. I have a doll that I've had since I was about 2 that sits in that rocking chair that I have that's like yours. I thought the pink swirl on the pottery cup was part of the design. That someone who isn't Sarah, Brian or Maggie has an artistic streak! I am not at all disgusted by Squoosh, and when I sleep at night and put my hand on my cheek, I (even in my sleep) wrap my hand in the sheet so I'm not skin on skin, because pimples. And I love, love, love the alphabet cards! When I first started teaching, I made so much of my bulletin board materials by blowing up clip art and coloring book pages and greeting cards on an opaque projector and using magic markers to trace them and color them in. These are a treasure!
    I'm very excited about showing you my early granny decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly posted a picture of my red mixing bowls, which are the best mixing bowls EVER and were also a wedding present. And I do use those daily. Or nearly.
      I'm glad you liked my stuff. I look forward to seeing yours!
      And opaque projectors!!!!! I remember those!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I never underestimate the value of a comfy couch and a cozy afghan, with those two things you can elevate napping beyond a skill and turn it into an art.

    I thought the pink swirl was a part of the pottery design too!

    I wish I still had a Squoosh, but sadly my long and usually wet at bedtime hair decimates pillows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That couch and afghan are a perfect combination, it's true. I'm sorry you lost your Squoosh. :)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing these photo ops! Man I think I could live with you too! (I said that to Lizzi's photos) I love the painting! and the photo wall is awesome...and who doesnt love a baby doll with that hair!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hair's fairly disgusting, but I won't part with Boogats. You can come live with me.

      Delete
  4. I love these things that are so special to you - family portraits, books, art, comfy things. That alphabet is in surprisingly amazing condition for having survived so many years. Kindergarten teachers are always artists. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they lived under my parents' bed for years. I got them laminated, but they're speckled with some age spots within their plastic covers. They'll last, though.

      Delete
  5. Your house feels like home! Photos of relatives on walls? Check! Red shoes? Not the same style, but check! Books? Of course! Homemade afghans, artwork, and plants? Check, check, and check! Our homes finally diverged a bit with your last photos, but--wow!--I was impressed at the similarities. (Even though our houseplants are currently unnamed, we did have a spider plant named Phyllis Diller in the early years of our marriage. I thought we were the only ones who named plants!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you need to come visit if you are in the DC area! You will feel at home! I admit Barbarella is the only one with a name. It just seemed appropriate.

      Delete
  6. I love the photo arrangement on your staircase wall. If I had one, I'd love the opportunity to display family photos this way. Love it! And it must be so nice and homey feeling getting to see them so often. Posting your 10 things of thankful this way (from around your home) is a wonderful idea. Lizzi did it, too and both your post and hers are excellent. Very nice getting to know both of you better via the things that are special to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you can choose any wall! This is the first house that I've done it in the stairwell. Thanks for reading and commenting, Marcia!

      Delete
  7. There seems to be an implication that David Hasslehoff of Knight Rider fame is anything less than class. I'm not sure I can abide with that sentiment.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY <--Best beginning to a music video ever? Perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....silent K. How'd I miss that considering how often I fold it?

      Delete
  8. Oh yes I am the same way. Anything I have out on display has meaning. Those shoes are like converse without being converse.
    And I always find this interesting but that couch. I would call greyish not green. It always fascinates me how people see colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a gray-green, I'll give you that. Like Converse without being Converse? I'm annoyed that Converse are trendy since I was wearing them years and years ago, but I'll wait it out until I'm countercultural again.

      Delete
  9. How fun are those alphabet posters. Very cool and then hearing the story behind them -- double cool. And I had about 20 plus pairs of Chuck Taylor's in my closet in my early 20s. Now it seems I'm stuck in flip flop mode. This is my time of year footwear wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've got flipflops too! Those Converse will not be on my feet again until the weather cools off.

      Delete
  10. So let me get this straight - the granny chic is Dyanne, yes? Because I could not possibly be considered chic. Not by a long shot. My gray hair could go granny, though, I guess.
    You have some truly wonderful things here - love the afghan and yes, the lip liner streak adds value. Honestly, I thought it was there on purpose. Well, it was, I suppose. Only the artist knows. ;) The best thing is that your selections have such meaning. Honestly, I don't know if I have anything that qualifies as such a great love. Gonna have to think on this one a bit.
    Kingsolver also lives on my shelf, but borrowed from my sister. And by borrowed I mean I'll probably never give it back.
    Oh! I recognize that doll - Fisher Price 1970s. That particular one came with the name Mary. My cousin had her. I had the one in pink with darker hair who came with the name Natalie. I loved her. Had her for years. I do not have any dolls or stuffies from childhood anymore...there came a day when those that remained moved out and were donated to a hospital or something, I think. Makes me sad sometimes but I'm not really one to hold onto the stuff. Most often, it makes me happy that they are off somewhere being loved and making children happy. But how cool that we each had one of those dolls??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Dyanne said something about her decorating style as early granny chic a few weeks back. I was curious as to what that meant. I have almost everything by BK. I love her, and I even met her once!!!!
      Of course we had similar dolls! Who is surprised, really? I have no memory of her given name by the company. I am told that I received her as a gift and immediately christened her Boogats. Ella got added later. She goes by Boogats.

      Delete
    2. I like Boogats. And you MET Barbara Kinsolver? Story, please...ooh do a post!

      Delete
    3. Oh, there's nothing all that exciting about it. I stood in line for her autograph and then stammered and stumbled through our few minutes together, making a complete fool of myself.

      Delete
  11. What a fun thing to do!! And we get to see bits and details about you we wouldn't normally know. I have a pillow just like that one. I just can't part with it. "You can call her Boogats." Ha! Love those handmade letter cards, but pigs eating pork chops just is not right. Couldn't it have been eating pie? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll have to talk to my parents about that. It cracks me up, but not as much as the quail queen's face in response the aggressiveness of that duck. Or how Oscar eats an orange.
      I'm glad you could see more of me in these items. That was the purpose. :)

      Delete
  12. Okay- Piper is BRILLIANT to start this little game of Treasures in your home!! I hate to say it, but yes my dear... squooshie is to blame. LOLOL

    I love that your plant is a fighter. True fighter at that.

    And I just taking a peek into your home and at ALL your special things and the stories behind them. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I do love a compliment! You can join in anytime. ;)

      Delete
    2. Tell someone like Dyanne or Lisa that you want to be tagged! Poor skinny Barbarella. She is a fighter.

      Delete
  13. I love how each of those things has so much history attached. I am in awe of your picture wall. I'd love to do something like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's so easy. You just hang a picture and then hang another an so on... It's the kind of decorating I like to do because it fits my impulsivity.

      Delete
  14. Those alphabet posters are proof that my love of laminators is valid. Ha! They're awesome!
    I love these photo treasures. I should like to take a tour of your house sometime: it looks like everything has a wonderful story!
    I hope you've been well. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I don't think they'd have lasted without the plastic. Though it causes a glare.
      We are well! I was glad to hear you were too!
      We're coming to Asheville the weekend of June 13 for Brian Mahoney's birthday party. Do you know him?

      Delete
  15. I lot that you have a collage of pictures up your stairs like I do. Although mine was in part done that way because Mr G is a perfectionist and I am an impatient-ist - hanging pictures together is a trial as he likes every one to line up with a precise gap which takes a lot of time, so I deliberately go for random and speed hanging.

    Mr G also had a Squoosh, that was his since childhood I think. When I moved in with him I took the outer cover off to wash, and discovered a deep brown inner cover. When I washed that it came out a very light off white. GROSS! Eventually my nagging succeeded in making him wash the pillow itself, which disintegrated in the machine. DOUBLE GROSS.
    We now have new pillows on all the beds - and a water bed for extra hygiene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! I hate measuring--hence the collage walls all over my house. I hate preparation; I like doing.
      That's so gross. Now I'm scared to unzip that pillow cover.

      Delete
  16. Ahhhh I do like your crochet blanket. Nice colours on it!

    Shelves are your friends, especially for a treasured book like AWIT! Also...you alphabetise? I do them by genre.

    I think Squoosh should be fine if you're changing the pillowcase daily, right?

    Good list. Great nominations ('early grandmother chic'? REALLY?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shelves are a summer project after I finish several others I'm in the midst of. It's how Dyanne described her decorating! Oh, and I alphabetize within genre. This is fiction.

      Delete
  17. I love love love this idea. I am going to do this for my next post even though I haven't been tagged. I really like the alphabet in pictures. And the fact that you still have what I am assuming is your first baby doll, Boogats. Thank you for sharing your special things with TToT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'll be there! It's such a fun glimpse into personalities, to see what one keeps and displays and uses, huh?

      Delete
  18. Lizzi tagged me, and I just finished walking around my house looking for things to include. I love these kinds of posts - you can learn a lot about people from their pillows and dolls (I wouldn't have guessed that was a pillow - how flat is that??) I think your first sentence says it all! I tend to toss things, so if it's stuck around, it's definitely worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. And very flat. The point is you can squoosh it down to just fit the crevice of your neck.

      Delete

Make my day and leave me a comment!