So, what I did was wander our house with my camera during naptime today. I snapped photos (of mediocre quality, it turns out) of this and that and then winnowed the photos down to ten. Now these ten are probably not the top ten (I'm not sure I could isolate a top ten), but you know, I've showed off my Spindletop sweatshirt many a time before so that didn't make the cut today. And I've paraded treasures from my keepsake boxes so I didn't dig into those. These are the ones that popped out to me today.
1. Like Piper, I'm a fan of a collage. They're all over my house (I took pictures of three, but this is the only one to make it). Hard to photograph this stairwell, but that's all family photos...with a little sculpture and tile action worked in here and there. I walk past Brian's and my ancestors multiple times every day, and I like to think, am better for it.
|Ugh, blurry! Sorry!|
2. I found these on the floor of the office. I love them. When the treads wear smooth, I buy a new pair, same color, and move the laces over. Generally, I hate wearing shoes, especially ones that require socks, but these, these are OK.
3. I don't keep every book I read anymore. I don't have enough tall wall space to hold all the books I read. So I keep the ones that are my friends. It's possible I'll never reread them, but their presence brings me pleasure. Here's K, L, and just a little M still on the floor of our bedroom. That ragged paperback is AWIT, of course. Thinking of building shelves...
|I must have tremors. Sorry again.|
4. My lovely friend Sereta made us this for a wedding present. No, she didn't go to the registry, she made something by hand that she knew I would love and use. And I do 'cause the basement is COLD. And a shout out to the old, green couch which is the best, most comfy couch ever in the whole world.
|And, yes, that's a Nightrider tshirt. Pure class here.|
5. My parents gave me this painting for my 30th birthday. It's of Prince Edward Island with its red dirt, and the gift is a little homage to my early love of Anne Shirley.
6. Barbarella. She's a fighter, she is. Someone (who knows) gave her to my family when my father's mother died. Barbarella survived some pretty harsh treatment in the back seat of a large, rented vehicle on the drive from TX to NC only to land in a location in our house that caused her to drop her leaves and grow tall (and need propping). Since we've moved to MD (because no way I'd part with her), she's actually put on a little more flesh, believe it or not. She's a fighter, she is.
7. My friend Anna made me this little vase-cup item. I like to keep tokens like this in use to keep those I hold dear in mind. Obvs, this one holds make-up stuffs. And I won't name names, but someone (not named Sarah, Brian, or Maggie) wrote on it with lip liner. I could wash it off but it sort of adds to its value, don't you think?
8. And this, this is my Squoosh. I don't want to think about how disgusting a feather pillow this old might be. I like to think about how perfectly it fits into my neck at night. It has its own set of pillowcases in daily rotation because I have terrible skin, and if I change my pillowcase daily, I get fewer pimples. This pillowcase is made from an old crib sheet. And don't say I might be getting pimples from Squoosh. I love her.
9. Blog readers, meet Ella Boogats (boo-gahts). She is two years younger than I am. You can call her Boogats.
10. Finally, these alphabet posters hang in my son's bedroom. My parents made them when my mother was a Kindergarten teacher in the late sixties. A few hung in the room I shared with my brother early on, and then I hung them in a classroom for a couple of years when I was a teacher. O, P, and Q are the best. Seriously, the quail queen's face!
So, according to Piper's rules (I think), I now nominate two other bloggers to find ten items in their houses to show off. I nominate Lisa (as aforementioned via the Facebook) and Dyanne because I want to know what early granny chic looks like.
A Fly on our (Chicken Coop) Wall, Amycake and the Dude, Considerings, Finding Ninee, Getting Literal, I Want Backsies, The Meaning of Me, Thankful Me, Uncharted, The Wakefield Doctrine
Join the Ten Things of Thankful Facebook Group