Thursday, June 18, 2015

Match

I am fascinated by fire. I can strike match after match, holding each one as the wood warps and blackens, testing how long I can wait until I have to shake the fire out. I love the smell of the sulphur and the way it seems to singe my nose hairs and the way the odor lingers in the air after the flame in gone. It is one of the few situations in which I actually enjoy the thrill of danger.

But I have small children and I can't be setting that kind of example or leave us open to that kind of danger. So I only light matches when my husband's had dairy.

https://unchartedblogdotorg.wordpress.com/2015/06/18/welcome-back-to-six-sentence-stories/

13 comments :

  1. some levels of danger are really worth it! And that dairy everything is one of them. that made me absolutely laugh out loud! Thank you I needed that

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child, I was afraid to light a match, and I still feel somewhat uneasy even today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh! I feel that way about knives, those I use them daily.

      Delete
  3. I share your fascination with fire, and empathize with the dairy situation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the smell of sulphur too. The last line is really funny. I distinctly remember a book of matches in the bathroom. No we use air freshener. Or better yet, Dyanne's magic oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyanne's magic oil! I should buy some of that!

      Delete
  5. Ha! Nice surprise ending. :)
    I hate lighting matches. Always have. All the way back to 5th grade when I was a server and was supposed to light the candles at church. I still avoid it. Just two days ago, I got the matches to light birthday candles and asked if anyone wanted to light them. I am fascinated by fire, but I don't want to start one, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhboy! As someone living with a dairy intolerant chap, I FEEL YA! But yeah - LOVE the smell of matches. And I'm liking that you're a bit of a pyro, like me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bit. Oh, Vince, stay AWAY from the dairy!

      Delete
  7. HAHAHA I LOVE the smell of matches, too. For years, when I smoked cigarettes (said as if I no longer do), I only lit them with matches. Because the smell. LOVE this and awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment!